remington 870 question extractor question?

achillesviper

so i have a remington 870 tactical and here lately it has developed an issue where you need to rack it really hard, or smack the butt on the ground. what could be causing this? ive tried 4 different types of shells. im not sure if the pic i included is the problem or not, but it dosnt look right.. 

post-48459-0-31142600-1412478067_thumb.j

AAH a gun ! QUICK QUICK GET THE NSA ON THIS !

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

AAH a gun ! QUICK QUICK GET THE NSA ON THIS !

its legeal its legeal!! i got it from cabelas D: NSA NUUU 

QUICKSCOPE HIM QUICKSCOPE HIM  NSA!

Fixed :P

If you couldn't tell this is a tech forum, not a gun forum :P

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

xD this is getting out of hand... im out. I live in Canada. and usually in Canada. 17yrs old don't own guns :P

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

its also in the off topic, saw a guy asking about car rims. thats not tech either, and actually if you REALLY want to get specific, any idea how much tech is behind the cutting and drilling on a gun? and the tech that has gone into testing the metals and the gun powder?

xD this is getting out of hand... im out. I live in Canada. and usually in Canada. 17yrs old don't own guns :P

im about to turn 19 so..

what ? quickscope ? I didn't say that wtf xD

im about to turn 19 so..

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you are considered an adult..... me = not yet :P

My buddy uses #4 buckshot 3 1/2" he has the same gun. Your gun might be faulty, just take it to the nearest shooting range/gun shop and ask them what's wrong with it.

Tell me if this thread helps you mate, seems that the extractor needs cleaning/polishing possibly.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

My buddy uses #4 buckshot 3 1/2" he has the same gun. Your gun might be faulty, just take it to the nearest shooting range/gun shop and ask them what's wrong with it.

ive had it for..4 years? sometihng like that, ive shot EVERYTHING through it from regular bird shot, slugs, nitro turkeys, magnum slugs, just for some reason it decided to mess up..

Tell me if this thread helps you mate, seems that the extractor needs cleaning/polishing possibly.

im going to try and clean it up, ill take it out tomorrow and see if that fixes it and i let you know, thanks for helping i bookmarked that thread

ive had it for..4 years? sometihng like that, ive shot EVERYTHING through it from regular bird shot, slugs, nitro turkeys, magnum slugs, just for some reason it decided to mess up..

I read the thread above, it looks like you just need to polish it.

If all else fails give your local gun store a call.  They may be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction.  

I had a problem with the ejector on my Remington 700.  It just needed to be cleaned.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Also the negative responses was a little disheartening to see here.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Also the negative responses was a little disheartening to see here.

yeah i know thats what i thought as well..... :/ 

im about to turn 19 so..

well i am 19 beat that :) 

but then i do not have a gun so you beat me there

and it looks like you are one post from 100 high five for that

my computer beats all computers in a 1,000 NM radius

'MERICA!

Really tho there is no problem in owning a gun at 18.

'MERICA!

Really tho there is no problem in owning a gun at 18.

well. the fact that I personally thing its useless. mosatly because I don't go hunting. and canada

well. the fact that I personally thing its useless. mosatly because I don't go hunting. and canada

Don't even need to go hunting, you can always go to the target range and blow up some milk containers.  ;)

i do not have much gun experience but like what others are saying i would probably give it a good cleaning 

it is amazing what cleaning can do for moving parts 

my computer beats all computers in a 1,000 NM radius

so i have a remington 870 tactical and here lately it has developed an issue where you need to rack it really hard, or smack the butt on the ground. what could be causing this? ive tried 4 different types of shells. im not sure if the pic i included is the problem or not, but it dosnt look right.. 

Ask @Trik'Stari hes like a collector or something.

PM him or whatever, hes offline now but he should get back to you soon if you message him.

okay, i took the slide, bolt, bolt carrier, extracrtor, the little pin and spring behind that, all out and cleaned EVERYTHING as best i could short of using the dremel to polish it, i noticed some wear on the extractor and the carrier was filthy, i am going t test it tomorrow and see how it works

1. Nothing that can:

Provide food

safe your live

save the lives of those you love

Is useless. What is useless is the defeatist sheep mentality that the propaganda these days teaches people, rather than the can do, ready to go, ready to stay alive mentality that they should teach people.

(also, the "it can never happen" statement is a classic sign of that mentality, you have been conditioned to believe that society will always be there, and will always look out for you, when that is simply not possible, and not a safe way to think, only you can ensure your own survival)

okay, i took the slide, bolt, bolt carrier, extracrtor, the little pin and spring behind that, all out and cleaned EVERYTHING as best i could short of using the dremel to polish it, i noticed some wear on the extractor and the carrier was filthy, i am going t test it tomorrow and see how it works

It looks almost exactly the same as the extractor on my 870. What rounds are you using? what length? etc. Best bet is to do what you have already done, take it apart and clean everything as best you can, and then retest it. If that doesn't work, best bet is to head over to the forums at www.cheaperthandirt.com, thats where I go for my gun questions. Although it's been a while since I was there since the forums seemed to have depopulated, but I'm sure there's someone who can help you figure this out better than I can. I might know a bit about guns, but I am by no means an expert on gunsmithing. I recently discovered that my 870's safety button was sticky as hell (hard to push) because I had the after market rear stock tightened down too much, and was putting pressure on the trigger guard. So a lot of things are trial and error.

Also, google and youtube are invaluable for stuff like this.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs