AMD Begins Massive Wave of Price Cuts on R9 290x and 290

In case you're still looking for the G1 Gaming it's has some that can be had this month for $380 at ShopBLT

And @CreativeTHC already said that he meant GBP not USD

I see 51 back ordered on that page (negative stock). Add to that I have never heard of the vendor, nor would I trust them with my money to get a card possibly months from now. Fact is the only one in stock I can find is 600 bucks and now that has gone to pre order on NCIX. Like I said I don't blame them for gouging. I blame the people BUYING the card for that much. We saw the same thing happen with AMD GPU's with lite coin mining.  

Retail price GTX 970's do not exist atm. I wish they did. The only ones I have seen in stock lately have been low clocked models without bigger power connectors that don't clock that high and those went quick. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

They can keep that oven of a graphics card. 

nah jk

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Starting to regret that I cave in and bought an R9 290X a month ago. original plan was to wait for November and then look at price compared to rumors of upcoming cards. 
I am a weak man :<

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

1. This is AWESOME for consumers. Just awesome. 

2. Does AMD hate earning money? Did they suddenly come across so much money they can afford to slash prices like this? 

2. The Hawaii GPU in the R9 290 and 290X is 438 mm^2. The GM204 GPU in the GTX 970 and 980 is 398 mm^2. Sure, the GM204 is smaller and thus (most likely) cheaper - but not by much.

God bless fair competition between AMD and Nvidia.

Hoping to see the same thin happen whit AMD and Intel

2. The Hawaii GPU in the R9 290 and 290X is 438 mm^2. The GM204 GPU in the GTX 970 and 980 is 398 mm^2. Sure, the GM204 is smaller and thus (most likely) cheaper - but not by much.

On today's current 300mm-radius wafers (282743.3388 square millimeters of space) that difference equates to roughly 65 more chips per wafer. That's huge.

Note: I know not all the area can be used, but the total number that can be fit is theoretically increased by 65, and there's no reason this shouldn't approximately scale.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

On today's current 300mm-radius wafers (282743.3388 square millimeters of space) that difference equates to roughly 65 more chips per wafer. That's huge.

Note: I know not all the area can be used, but the total number that can be fit is theoretically increased by 65, and there's no reason this shouldn't approximately scale.

It's only a 10% difference. Not huge, though of course it matters.

The difference between Hawaii and GK110 is MUCH bigger.

Eh, I've heard reports of unplayable screen flicker

I personally didn't have screen flicker, but constant driver crashes.  To be fair, I've had nothing but trouble with nVidia drivers over the past year before I upgraded (black screen bugs, certain games crashed with certain drivers, very variable performance).  Sometimes I feel like graphics drivers havent really gotten any better since ~2008.

Sweet Jesus :mellow:

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

It's only a 10% difference. Not huge, though of course it matters.

The difference between Hawaii and GK110 is MUCH bigger.

Put another way, more chips per wafer greatly dampens the effect of each defective chip and lowers the failure density per wafer. The profit gains aren't a 1:1 relationship.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Here's some New Zealand you y'all:

87c3c1f59647f301ea75fed2e9e43d25.png

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

AN R9 290 STILL COSTS $550 HERE.

AAAAAAAHHHH!

GBn1c.gif

Ya well fiber internet still costs hundreds of dollars here :P

Can't win 'em all!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Put another way, more chips per wafer greatly dampens the effect of each defective chip and lowers the failure density per wafer. The profit gains aren't a 1:1 relationship.

The difference is still way smaller than between Hawaii and GK110.

The difference is still way smaller than between Hawaii and GK110.

True, but when you think about it, Nvidia has dropped its prices about 15% from Kepler while increasing yields by at least 10%, maybe more when you consider silicon spot-defects affecting a lower percentage of chips per wafer. That's a pretty big difference. Hopefully AMD can counter with a smaller die too and keep their prices low. 4K might finally be coming down to mainstream if Apple goes forward on its 4K TB displays & 4K MacBooks, and if other laptop makers can provide 4K screens for really good prices. I can barely see pixels on my 15" MBPr screen, but at 17" I'm sure even 1440p starts revealing pixels to the viewer.

Knock down 980 to $499 plz.

Case: Corsair 500R (BitFenix Spectre Pro LED Green) -  CPU: Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2 -  Mobo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming -  GPUs: Asus Strix GTX 970  -  RAM: Kingston Black - 8GB 2133 -  PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750G 750W -  Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3  -  HDDs: OCZ Vector 150 120GB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Green 500GB -  Monitor: Acer B246HYL ymdpr 23.8 IPS  -  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical -  Audio: Sennheiser HD 600 - Magni 2/ Modi 2

2. Does AMD hate earning money? Did they suddenly come across so much money they can afford to slash prices like this? 

Microeconomics 101, yo. The market ultimately decides the price,

I think this is just your regular PR sort of response to Maxwell. Maxwell is a really strong release, and AMD needs to keep some of the attention on themselves as they wait for the 3xx release and their rumoured 390x which is "supposed" to demolish the 980 and any hypothetical 980 Ti.

They need to keep sales up, even if their margins are down. This keeps the cash flowing in.

Course we'll just have to wait and see how their 3xx architecture actually performs. But I'm quite excited!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

AN R9 290 STILL COSTS $550 HERE.

AAAAAAAHHHH!

GBn1c.gif

What????! Here you can buy one for 399, and prices over here tend to be super inflated!

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Make it go down to under 150 dollars for top end, go competition!

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

True, but when you think about it, Nvidia has dropped its prices about 15% from Kepler while increasing yields by at least 10%, maybe more when you consider silicon spot-defects affecting a lower percentage of chips per wafer. That's a pretty big difference. Hopefully AMD can counter with a smaller die too and keep their prices low. 4K might finally be coming down to mainstream if Apple goes forward on its 4K TB displays & 4K MacBooks, and if other laptop makers can provide 4K screens for really good prices. I can barely see pixels on my 15" MBPr screen, but at 17" I'm sure even 1440p starts revealing pixels to the viewer.

I don't think we will see any smaller die from AMD until next year. They can still do alright-ish with Hawaii. They have to trim their margins, but they're still making money on each card that goes out the door. Just less per card than Nvidia at the moment.

Not really sure what the relevance of Macbooks is here. Sure they may go 4K, but they won't go R9 290 or GTX 970 anyway. And Apple does not provide anything for really good prices (unless you mean good for Apple).

I don't think we will see any smaller die from AMD until next year. They can still do alright-ish with Hawaii. They have to trim their margins, but they're still making money on each card that goes out the door. Just less per card than Nvidia at the moment.

Not really sure what the relevance of Macbooks is here. Sure they may go 4K, but they won't go R9 290 or GTX 970 anyway. And Apple does not provide anything for really good prices (unless you mean good for Apple).

Shit maybe is not too late so listen closely: Never address an off topic Apple related comment. It's just an invitation to a bunch of fucking idiots to make any and all topics about Apple whenever is arguing for or against them. It's beyond me why LTT moderation doesn't bans this people (on both sides) on sight but for fuck's sake, please don't ever reply to them unless for some inexplicable reason you're willing to go into an Apple related thread and dive head first into that shithole. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I wouldn't quite say that about Apple. They are the sole providers of the most powerful mobile CPU I7 4980HQ. Their speakers are the best of any laptop I've ever heard, and despite the fact I hate trackpads, I find theirs close to tolerable. And they're smart enough to build a keyboard in such a way that you can use a silicon guard to prevent crumbs, hair, shedding cells, or even water from getting into the machine to possibly short out the motherboard.