Ghost Gunner $1200 Home CNC Mill

cae

https://ghostgunner.net/

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/cody-wilson-ghost-gunner/

Looks like the team behind the 3D printed gun decided to create a CNC mill allowing the legal creation of unserialized firearm components, namely from the 80% lower receiver for the AR-15, at least for now. If it's anything like their wikiweapon project, it's more about showing that you can't legislate away our rights, and less about mass arming the public.

80% lowers are incomplete pieces of aluminum or polymer composite that require the trigger groups to be drilled or milled out in order to complete building the firearm.

To show how technology can render the entire notion of government obsolete. He’s spent the last two years developing firearms designed to be printed as easily as ink on a page, neutering attempts at gun control. “This is a way to jab at the bleeding hearts of these total statists,” Wilson says. “It’s about humiliating the power that wants to humiliate you.”

Try to keep that in mind if you choose to discuss.  :)

I think it's a neat project that will interest more people than the resin composite 3D printed lowers they've done in the past. Once files start to grow, it'll only get better.

HA HA. Takes your laws an shove them up your asses. It's not a threat, it's a basic human right.

also you can make the same thing on a milling machine and a drill press.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Although I don't mind the message he is trying to send to the government, it does create very very dangerous situations.

I can see mid level crime organisations just buying a cnc mill and a 3d printer and just make a few of their own guns, no regulation no nothing.

And the problem is: you cannot stop them. CNC mills are getting better and cheaper and the same goes for 3d printers

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Although I don't mind the message he is trying to send to the government, it does create very very dangerous situations.

I can see mid level crime organisations just buying a cnc mill and a 3d printer and just make a few of their own guns, no regulation no nothing.

And the problem is: you cannot stop them. CNC mills are getting better and cheaper and the same goes for 3d printers

That wouldn't be very cost-effective for the criminals. This is just for the lower receiver (at least for now), the rest of the components would still run ~$500. Black market firearms are much cheaper, but illegal.

This is an attempt to slap regulation in the face, legally. :)

Yes, now I can get my stuff cheaper. Time to create my secret army.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Guy that is behind this sounds like a total neanderthal.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Before all of the haters come in to say that now everyone will have a legal machine gun, I just want to clarify a few of the federal laws that are in effect and do impact this type of product.

Yes, you can build your own firearm in the US, and no you do not need federal approval to do so. However it does have to fall into a title 2 firearm as defined by the ATF. What this means is it cannot be fully automatic (machine gun), have a suppressor, or a barrel shorter than the minimum requirements of that type of gun, ex rifle = 16in overall barrel length. You also cannot sell it. It is yours and yours alone, if you do want to sell them you need to be a licensed manufacturer with the ATF. If you are making a title 2 firearm, there is really no limit to what you can make, Pistol, shot gun, rifle, whatever.

If you do want a machine gun, suppressor, or short barrel, then the firearm must be registered with the ATF, approved, and tax stamped. (I included MG's only because of a lawsuit involving trusts, MG's, the ATF and the Hughes amendment, but that is a topic for a different discussion).

Also for some of our members outside of the US that may not know what an 80% lower is: An 80% lower refers to an AR15 lower receiver (technically the gun) which is incomplete. The ATF ruled a while ago that a gun becomes a legal firearm after it has surpassed 80% completion. So people often buy an 80% lower so that no one knows they have them. There is no back round check because it is not a firearm yet, just a chunk of aluminum. With a good drill press anyone can turn an 80% lower into a functioning ar15 lower receiver.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

while it is cool technology, i really don't get a large percentage of the USA's dream of using there gun to defend them selves against an oppressive government.

Guy that is behind this sounds like a total neanderthal.

Probably because you both live under oppressive governments without realizing it because you've been educated not to notice, any government that bans the private ownership of the capability to defend ones self, is oppressive.

Before all of the haters come in to say that now everyone will have a legal machine gun, I just want to clarify a few of the federal laws that are in effect and do impact this type of product.

Yes, you can build your own firearm in the US, and no you do not need federal approval to do so. However it does have to fall into a title 2 firearm as defined by the ATF. What this means is it cannot be fully automatic (machine gun), have a suppressor, or a barrel shorter than the minimum requirements of that type of gun, ex rifle = 16in overall barrel length. You also cannot sell it. It is yours and yours alone, if you do want to sell them you need to be a licensed manufacturer with the ATF. If you are making a title 2 firearm, there is really no limit to what you can make, Pistol, shot gun, rifle, whatever.

If you do want a machine gun, suppressor, or short barrel, then the firearm must be registered with the ATF, approved, and tax stamped. (I included MG's only because of a lawsuit involving trusts, MG's, the ATF and the Hughes amendment, but that is a topic for a different discussion).

Also for some of our members outside of the US that may not know what an 80% lower is: An 80% lower refers to an AR15 lower receiver (technically the gun) which is incomplete. The ATF ruled a while ago that a gun becomes a legal firearm after it has surpassed 80% completion. So people often buy an 80% lower so that no one knows they have them. There is no back round check because it is not a firearm yet, just a chunk of aluminum. With a good drill press anyone can turn an 80% lower into a functioning ar15 lower receiver.

You are incorrect, you have to pass a background check to buy a lower receiver, but only if you buy from a gun store or other FFL holder, however jeb down the street will sell you his for who knows what.

Probably because you both live under oppressive governments without realizing it because you've been educated not to notice, any government that bans the private ownership of the capability to defend ones self, is oppressive.

You are incorrect, you have to pass a background check to buy a lower receiver, but only if you buy from a gun store or other FFL holder, however jeb down the street will sell you his for who knows what.

80% lowers are not actually lower receivers yet. I know several people who have bought them from FFL's without back round checks. That is the whole reason people do it.

If you are buying a completed lower receiver, you do have to fill out the 4473 and get a back round check.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Anyone who wants to "defend" themselves with any instrument that can kill without the target knowing that death is coming, is a total pussy.

Not getting roped into this by the way, I've said my peace and moving on. And I sure as hell don't take socio-political lectures from citizens of a country where the only two parties capable of getting into power are extremist right wing with only slivers of difference between. Oppressed? Brain washed? Careful not to trip on your brow.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

That wouldn't be very cost-effective for the criminals. This is just for the lower receiver (at least for now), the rest of the components would still run ~$500. Black market firearms are much cheaper, but illegal.

This is an attempt to slap regulation in the face, legally. :)

Well I don't know how much an AR-15 platform weapons would cost on the blackmarket, but if these are legal then they might be a lot more appealing (idk how hard it is to get those blackmarket guns and perhaps the blackmarket is more dangerous) 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I would say "in before this goes down hill" but I can see that has already begun lol.

It seems some people are allergic to freedom. :(

Anyone who wants to "defend" themselves with any instrument that can kill without the target knowing that death is coming, is a total pussy.

Not getting roped into this by the way, I've said my peace and moving on. And I sure as hell don't take socio-political lectures from citizens of a country where the only two parties capable of getting into power are extremist right wing with only slivers of difference between. Oppressed? Brain washed? Careful not to trip on your brow.

Um, since when is obama right wing? you're a idiot, and a troll, welcome to the ignore list. When an ISIS member breaks into your house with a machete to kill you or your family, you will understand then why guns are a necessity

80% lowers are not actually lower receivers yet. I know several people who have bought them from FFL's without back round checks. That is the whole reason people do it.

If you are buying a completed lower receiver, you do have to fill out the 4473 and get a back round check.

Wait, is it just an undrilled and tapped lower?

I would say "in before this goes down hill" but I can see that has already begun lol.

It seems some people are allergic to freedom. :(

More like allergic to thinking for themselves, the government can do that for them so why should they? it already does everything else for them, that's what sheep are, following the shepard like a good little sheep.

Wait, is it just an undrilled and tapped lower?

More like allergic to thinking for themselves, the government can do that for them so why should they? it already does everything else for them, that's what sheep are, following the shepard like a good little sheep.

From what I could pull from the article, yes this is for an 80% completed lower. Not for starting from a block of billet. 

Agreed.

From what I could pull from the article, yes this is for an 80% completed lower. Not for starting from a block of billet. 

Agreed.

Oh so this just drills that all out, neat-o. I thought it printed them rather than just drilling it out.

Oh so this just drills that all out, neat-o. I thought it printed them rather than just drilling it out.

Unfortunately that costs more than $1200 still. You could do it with a decent Bridgeport and a bit of ingenuity for around $10,000 though.

Everyone is arguing about gun rights and here I am just sitting around excited about cheap cnc mills.

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

You'd take something like this, and throw it in the mill. No FFL required.

And yes, please don't personally attack. I understand there are strong feelings on both sides, but let's be civil at least.

Well I don't know how much an AR-15 platform weapons would cost on the blackmarket, but if these are legal then they might be a lot more appealing (idk how hard it is to get those blackmarket guns and perhaps the blackmarket is more dangerous) 

This is basically firearm minus serial number remaining legal for personal use/ownership because you personally "manufactured" it on your own. The black market would take cheap yet serialized firearms and just file the serial number off - this is illegal. If your goal is to commit crimes with firearms, the legality of your firearm probably doesn't rank very high in the thought process.

Everyone is arguing about gun rights and here I am just sitting around excited about cheap cnc mills.

Indeed that is something to be excited about. Kind hard to resist educating those without an education. I wonder what else it can make?

.....computer parts of some kind?

You'd take something like this, and throw it in the mill. No FFL required.

And yes, please don't personally attack. I understand there are strong feelings on both sides, but let's be civil at least.

I refuse to be civil to those who can't be civil to me or my country to begin with.

I wonder how much capability it has a just a little milling machine. If you could write your own programs for it like a normal CNC machine it would certainly be an awesome little tool to have in the garage.

I wonder how much capability it has a just a little milling machine. If you could write your own programs for it like a normal CNC machine it would certainly be an awesome little tool to have in the garage.

And to couple that with creating jigs on a 3D printer... I'm very excited to see how quickly private manufacturing takes off, and/or becomes even more affordable.

And to couple that with creating jigs on a 3D printer... I'm very excited to see how quickly private manufacturing takes off, and/or becomes even more affordable.

Jigs for what? I am also excited for this, I'm hoping I live to see something equally as capable as the Replicator from Star Trek (sadly unlikely :( )

It's open source, so yes you can :)

yeah it looks like this could be to fabrication what raspberry pi was to embedded systems. So much excited.

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti