Intel; PC vs Mac

NoobsWeStand

Okay, so today my teacher said that you would at least need an i7, on a PC, to compare to an i5 on a Mac

I refuse to believe this is true.

Is their solid evidence against this? Like a cross platform benchmark on the same system running windows and mac osx?

Sorry for this mac rage, but my school is a complete apple fanboy

Thanks

i don't know but i'd think they would run about the same

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

The biggest difference i find is that osx uses memory much better then windows however the i5 vs i7 pc mac think isnt true, take it from someone which has both

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

A processor is a processor. It'll be the same

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

What mac? 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Seeing how all Macs but iMac 27 and Pro use lower-TDP CPUs, I'd say that's the other way around.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Your teacher just made a statement that would even insult the intelligence of a pile of bricks.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

a Mac cant compare to a PC, mostly because mac sucks and cant run 99.999999999999999% of the programs that exist, so he could use a imaginary i22 and it would still suck :P

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

So a apple computer with a 500W PSU would put out as much power as a windows PC with 1000W.

His logic is wrong you can not compare like that.

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

Just tell him he's stupid

CPU: Amd fx 8120 3.9ghz...Motherboard: Asus m5a97 evo R:2.0...RAM: 8gb 1600 kingston hyperx blu...GPU: XFX R9 280x ...CASE: Nzxt h440...

HDD: Kingston adata ssd 500 gigs, wd blue 500gb...PSU: Corsair gs700...Monitors: Asus vk222h Cooler: Noctua nh-d14...Keyboard:coolermaster masterkeys m...Mouse: logitech g300...Headphones: Logitech g430

Okay, so today my teacher said that you would at least need an i7, on a PC, to compare to an i5 on a Mac

Probably an English, Art or Music teacher or other technologically inept faculty member

Your teacher just made a statement that would even insult the intelligence of a pile of bricks.

Seeing how all Macs but iMac 27 and Pro use laptop-grade CPUs, I'd say that's the other way around.

#Rekt

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

That has always question me, when you look at the specs of a Mac machine, you go: "how the hell is this going to be able to do anything? 1.4Ghz dual core and 2 gigs of ram with a mobile gpu, wtf apple?" and then some how, it seems to run better then if you were to have the same hardware but on a pc. Can anyone explain this?

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

Nope. Take benchmarks of the same CPU on Windows and Mac - they will show the same result.

Mac OS X advantage is the OS and its ability to use system resources, allthough latley Windows is coming much closer than it has ever been.

P.S. Do not let teacher use iDrugs. It is dangerous.

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10

a Mac cant compare to a PC, mostly because mac sucks and cant run 99.999999999999999% of the programs that exist, so he could use a imaginary i22 and it would still suck :P

Eh.... Not exactly a road you'd want to go down..

Eh.... Not exactly a road you'd want to go down..

its no problem, performance wise the mac is on the same level i guess, but not in utility :P but running benchmarks is not my main reason for having a computing device :P

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

One thing to understand between Mac (any of them) and an Intel PC with any (other than any MacOS) Operating System:

Apple controls the parts they put on each machine end to end. Their Operating System is developed to work with that software.

Any other OS, no matter what HW you fit on it, they'll have to adjust. Now think about the number of different brands producing different parts you can fit on a PC.

This could mean Macs are better than other PCs, but, is whatever you do on a PC ok to run on a Mac? Usually not.

Ohh guys I get it. The teacher is saying that Apple OS gives the i5 cpu hyper-threading more cache using Apple magic.

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

That has always question me, when you look at the specs of a Mac machine, you go: "how the hell is this going to be able to do anything? 1.4Ghz dual core and 2 gigs of ram with a mobile gpu, wtf apple?" and then some how, it seems to run better then if you were to have the same hardware but on a pc. Can anyone explain this?

Because, for general use, you don't need a octa core i7 clocked at 3 GHz. It will perform just fine, unless you're going to do things such as editing, hence I mentioned 'General use' such as mails, browsing, ...

I think his teacher might have downloaded some ram online 

CPU: Amd fx 8120 3.9ghz...Motherboard: Asus m5a97 evo R:2.0...RAM: 8gb 1600 kingston hyperx blu...GPU: XFX R9 280x ...CASE: Nzxt h440...

HDD: Kingston adata ssd 500 gigs, wd blue 500gb...PSU: Corsair gs700...Monitors: Asus vk222h Cooler: Noctua nh-d14...Keyboard:coolermaster masterkeys m...Mouse: logitech g300...Headphones: Logitech g430

I think is teacher might have downloaded some ram online 

Definitely. Or maybe he downloaded some more CPU so his mac would perform better.

Yeah, but the problem is that he is the IT person. He runs the school's server. I thought he should know some stuff about this

Also, your comments are golden.

I asked a different teacher, one that knows more about computers, and he totally blew off the other teacher

Yeah, but the problem is that he is the IT person. He runs the school's server. I thought he should know some stuff about this

Also, your comments are golden.

I asked a different teacher, one that knows more about computers, and he totally blew off the other teacher

I know many stupid so called "IT people/experts."

Green Machine

Optimization... Apple has a very locked-down nature... They develop their software to work well with parts that they like and only the parts that they like... Unlike other OS where they need to take into consideration the near infinite permutations of parts that the OS needs to run on...