Intel; PC vs Mac

NoobsWeStand

Yeah, but the problem is that he is the IT person. He runs the school's server. I thought he should know some stuff about this

Also, your comments are golden.

I asked a different teacher, one that knows more about computers, and he totally blew off the other teacher

Even IT people are blinded by blatant favoritism/fanboyism!

Okay, so today my teacher said that you would at least need an i7, on a PC, to compare to an i5 on a Mac

I refuse to believe this is true.

Is their solid evidence against this? Like a cross platform benchmark on the same system running windows and mac osx?

Sorry for this mac rage, but my school is a complete apple fanboy

Thanks

From experience, Mac's use mobile i5's, so no. A PC i5 would rekt a Mac i5

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Your teacher is a Dumdum tell him that

next time wear a PCMasterRace Tee-Shirt infront of him :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz | COOLING: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VII Formula ATX | MEMORY: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2 x 8) DDR3-1866 | STORAGE: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD | PSU: Corsair AX860i 80+ Platinum | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780Ti DirectCU II (2-Way SLI) | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe (Black) | DISPLAY: ASUS PB278Q 27.0" (2560 x 1440) | KEYBOARD: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | SOUND: Logitech Z906 5.1 Speakers / Razer Kraken Chroma | OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Yeah, but the problem is that he is the IT person. He runs the school's server. I thought he should know some stuff about this

Also, your comments are golden.

I asked a different teacher, one that knows more about computers, and he totally blew off the other teacher

Yes just give him the finger and fly away

CPU: Amd fx 8120 3.9ghz...Motherboard: Asus m5a97 evo R:2.0...RAM: 8gb 1600 kingston hyperx blu...GPU: XFX R9 280x ...CASE: Nzxt h440...

HDD: Kingston adata ssd 500 gigs, wd blue 500gb...PSU: Corsair gs700...Monitors: Asus vk222h Cooler: Noctua nh-d14...Keyboard:coolermaster masterkeys m...Mouse: logitech g300...Headphones: Logitech g430

a Mac cant compare to a PC, mostly because mac sucks and cant run 99.999999999999999% of the programs that exist, so he could use a imaginary i22 and it would still suck :P

Jesus christ how ignorant can a man be...

How much time have you spent with a Mac? Exactly what programs is it that you're referring to? It's your precious Rock Simulator 2014 and Barbie Horse Adventures isn't it?

3900 games on steam for Mac 14589 for PC at this moment, for starters :P then we have all the old games, simple short example i think, oh and most new games that comes out

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

3900 games on steam for Mac 14589 for PC at this moment, for starters :P then we have all the old games, simple short example i think

So really your problem with Macs is not that they don't run programs, it's that they don't run games, right?

So really your problem with Macs is not that they don't run programs, it's that they don't run games, right?

do i really have to start listing things? damn if its not a big brand most dont work on Mac...

BOTH are personal computers. Topics like this should really say "OS X vs Windows" and not Mac vs PC. Standard PC can have OS X running on it (though that's a tad dodgy) and Macs can run Windows. The only justification for either are programs you're going to use and that's it. Anything else is artificial fluff and fanboyism.

Also, your teacher might have gotten their degree from somewhere with little to no standards if they are the IT guy. I have no reserve in labeling them a mindless Apple drone. An i7 Windows based PC to 'keep up' with an i5, my sides are in orbit. OS X doesn't magically make 4 threads render like 8.

do i really have to start listing things? damn if its not a big brand most dont work on Mac...

You see the thing is you clearly have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. I have owned my MacBook Pro for the most of two years now and not once, NOT ONCE, have I been in a situation where the software I needed (or an as good if not better alternative) was unavailable to me. Now I have a desktop PC for my gaming needs and for prolonged work sessions, but as it turns out every title that I actually play (which I'll admit is getting more and more limited with age) is available for OS X and runs perfectly fine. I'm not trying to say that everything runs on OS X, clearly it doesn't, I'm saying that everything that matters runs on OS X. Meanwhile OS X as an OS (along with Linux) is so many times better at everything (other than software compatability) than the mountain of broken code that makes up Windows that it almost hurts to see so many blind haters and Windows fanboys.

You see the thing is you clearly have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. I have owned my MacBook Pro for the most of two years now and not once, NOT ONCE, have I been in a situation where the software I needed (or an as good if not better alternative) was unavailable to me. Now I have a desktop PC for my gaming needs and for prolonged work sessions, but as it turns out every title that I actually play (which I'll admit is getting more and more limited with age) is available for OS X and runs perfectly fine. I'm not trying to say that everything runs on OS X, clearly it doesn't, I'm saying that everything that matters runs on OS X. Meanwhile OS X as an OS (along with Linux) is so many times better at everything (other than software compatability) than the mountain of broken code that makes up Windows that it almost hurts to see so many blind haters and Windows fanboys.

im no windows fan boy, if steam OS had wide support for all the things i use i would switch so fast, but until then, there are too many things i use that does not have mac versions

im no windows fan boy, if steam OS had wide support for all the things i use i would switch so fast, but until then, there are too many things i use that does not have mac versions

Please for the sake of enlightening me do make a list.

Artists who use a Mac cry because they can't run Paint Tool SAI (a friend of my GF actually complains about this who has an iMac), a highly popular Japanese paint program that's Windows only. Even under WINE, the program lacks pen pressure which makes it useless. While Apple has no software is over exaggerated, there are cases where a single program can make OS X a no go. Everyone has different needs and I see @Rorgash 's point. Mainstream software like stuff from Adobe will be multiplatform for Windows and OS X alike. But if a program is niche, Apple is not going to have it. Not every complaint of Apple lacking something is about video games. :P There do exist moments where there is superior software that is Windows only, that's just the luck of the draw. (Photoshop is TERRIBLE for 2D artwork, the lines are so sloppy compared to SAI)

Artists who use a Mac cry because they can't run Paint Tool SAI (a friend of my GF actually complains about this who has an iMac), a highly popular Japanese paint program that's Windows only. Even under WINE, the program lacks pen pressure which makes it useless. While Apple has no software is over exaggerated, there are cases where a single program can make OS X a no go. Everyone has different needs and I see @Rorgash 's point. Mainstream software like stuff from Adobe will be multiplatform for Windows and OS X alike. But if a program is niche, Apple is not going to have it. Not every complaint of Apple lacking something is about video games. :P There do exist moments where there is superior software that is Windows only, that's just the luck of the draw. (Photoshop is TERRIBLE for 2D artwork, the lines are so sloppy compared to SAI)

Fair point. I'm not that kind of artist although the friends I have in that business either run Photoshop (which may or may not be bad) or ArtRage (which may or may not also be bad, as I said I have no idea). I personally only do photography and videography so obviously I'm well covered with Adobe CC.

I would say your teach spends too much time messing about with the OS or looking at the sticker on the back of his computer rather than working.  Because in reality their isn't a great deal of difference between how well programs run on a mac and how programs run on windows for majority of today's work environments.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Okay, so today my teacher said that you would at least need an i7, on a PC, to compare to an i5 on a Mac

Is their solid evidence against this? Like a cross platform benchmark on the same system running windows and mac osx?

Thanks

spec is spec i5 is an i5 if its in a mac pc or running linux 8 gigs is 8 gigs pc mac or linux doesnt matter mac isnt going to be better than custom built or dell if they have matching specs it doesnt matter lol. but one os may be less of a resource hog but still does not matter lol. some people think mac is better but most computers have the same guts :P good luck

Project black out: cpu: athlon x4 750k @4.7ghz, Mobo: asrock fm2+ a55 vg3+, ram: 1x 8gb hyperx 1866mhz, video card: 1x saphire radeon r9 270x, Storage: 1tb hdd ssd in the future,  cooling: 2 noctua 120mm fans 1 on rad one front intake.

Fair point. I'm not that kind of artist although the friends I have in that business either run Photoshop (which may or may not be bad) or ArtRage (which may or may not also be bad, as I said I have no idea). I personally only do photography and videography so obviously I'm well covered with Adobe CC.

lol ye

I'm moderate when it comes to OS X vs Windows. Light jabs aside, I think most LTT members agree that it's simple. Use what suits your needs. :)

Thanks

Your teacher is an idiot, plain and simple.

lol ye

I'm moderate when it comes to OS X vs Windows. Light jabs aside, I think most LTT members agree that it's simple. Use what suits your needs. :)

My natural inclination to flame apple aside, I can agree to this.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I find these helpful when attempting to summarize this argument:

8ZL1slR.jpg

phSIdJg.jpg

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Ohh guys I get it. The teacher is saying that Apple OS gives the i5 cpu hyper-threading more cache using Apple magic.

Apple OS has nothing to do with hyper-threading. i5 desktop quad cores CPUs does not have it, i5 on laptops and Macbooks have it, but they are dual core CPUs + hyper-threading.

Apple has no magic.

P.S. Adding no iMushrooms to "do net let your teacher use" list.

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10