How to get smoother gameplay on a laptop+more really indepth stuff

Firearm2112

So I should be building my gaming rig sometime next week if everything goes according to plan. I really want to refresh myself with gaming in the meantime. So I hooked my Macbook Pro running Windows 8.1 through bootcamp up to my 1920x1080 monitor. As you can tell, the gaming experience is terrible. I mainly play modded skyrim, so that's kinda what we will be focusing on in this thread. Now, for the ideas. 

Alright so, I got an i5 3210M @ 2.5GHz but can turbo up to 2.8 or 3, I can't remember. I also got 16GB of DDR3 1600mhz ram. 

Now that we got that out of the way, I can ask the questions. Is there someway I can get smoother gameplay? More frames etc. Is there some way I can allocate some of my RAM to me used as VRAM? Is there a program that will make the game run smoother?

Thanks for all the input, and please, dont post GET A REAL GAMING DESKTOP or something. I'm building one soon, I just want to get back into gaming before it arrives.

Thanks again

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

If you want to get better performance out of skyrim specifically I can probably help you quite a bit. :)

Go ahead. I would love to hear your input. I used to be a big skyrim player, CBBE and mods like that dont judge me please. But then stopped playing for some reason. But yea I want to get back into it. So if you got any mods or tricks in order to make the game smoother i'm all ears,

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Nothing will really help you aside from closing a lot of background processes to free up your CPU. There is a way to allocate more system RAM to your iGPU but that's not the issue(and the ability to do so varies from laptop to laptop). The issue is that the integrated on that CPU sucks and it won't get any better no matter what you do. You're just going to have to deal with it until you get your system built, also don't download Razor Game Booster it's junk.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Honestly, its all down to your hardware unfortunately. I was in your position a few years ago when we had a house fire. My main gaming rig was one of the casualties in the fire so I was without an outlet to seriously game for a couple months while the insurance was dealt with (One of the casualties not the cause!) So I had to game on my macbook tiill I could get the money to build a new one. 

I also have a Macbook, one with a retina display and I have a few games on it. Honestly, the best thing you can do is instead of playing Skyrim use this time to catch up on older titles that WILL run well. If you haven't played Portal or Half Life 2 play them. If you haven't played Jade Empire or Knights of the Old Republic go play them. I have the entire collection of old DnD games on this macbook and its awesome for that. Play Morrowind!

Razer Gamebooster is one. But then again it is razer...

That really won't do anything for systems with 6 gigs of RAM or more.