HD 598/DT 990, or alternatives?

BlackMirror

So I convinced a friend of mine that some proper headphones + a mic were the best option in terms of audio in games+music.

He would mostly use them for 50% gaming 50% music.

He listens to alot of genres although most of them are not too heavy on the base.

His budget is around: 350€

I recommended the HD 598 ( Although he doesnt like the color scheme) and the DT 990 Premiums ( Although they have alot of base to them), just because i know and used these headphones before.

My questions would be: Do you guys know any better options/ alternatives?

And if certain headphones need an amp, which one would you suggest to go with it?

:) Thanks for your help guys! :)

- Intel i7 3770|Noctua NH-D14 -Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 -Evga Sc Signature 2 GTX 680 -Fractal Define R4 -2TB WD Black Caviar -120GB Samsung 840 Pro -Cosair TX 650Watt -Benq XL2420T -CM Storm Quickfire TK -Zowie Ec1 Evo -Fiio E10 -

Audio Technica Ath-AD700x

The DT990 have a brighter sound than most headphones, some even cosider them treble cannons. If he dislikes the colour scheme of the HD598s, check out the HD558s, they sound very similar. 

Some suggestions, K612 Pro, Q701s, AD700x. 

EDIT: Depending on the headphone, you'll need an AMP/DAC maybe. 

I have HD558 and I would say that they are better for gaming/music because they have better bass than HD598 and that is better in games. Now dont get me wrong, HD558 still sound amazing and are comfy as hell.

I have HD558 and I would say that they are better for gaming/music because they have better bass than HD598 and that is better in games. Now dont get me wrong, HD558 still sound amazing and are comfy as hell.

Wouldn't say "better bass". This could mean alot of things from different people. Boomier, deeper, punchier, etc. 

Wouldn't say "better bass". This could mean alot of things from different people. Boomier, deeper, punchier, etc. 

I am not so good in english to describe it well or audiophile to know the terminology. Basicaly in games they sound better if you play a lot of shooters. They have slightly better "umpf" than HD598.

I am not so good in english to describe it well or audiophile to know the terminology. Basicaly in games they sound better if you play a lot of shooters. They have slightly better "umpf" than HD598.

That's fine. The only way to really learn the terminolgy people use is to actually use varying pairs of headphones. I felt they sounded a bit punchier, so you may be thinking of that :P

That's fine. The only way to really learn the terminolgy people use is to actually use varying pairs of headphones. I felt they sounded a bit punchier, so you may be thinking of that :P

To be honest I would have difficulty to describe sound of something in my language too. I only tried HD598 and I regulary use my HD558 and I used only sub 30 € headphones before so there is really not much I can compare in terms of sound. I alwas though that my old 20€ headphones were awesome and did not believe that 150€ headphones make difference. But I had to try and now I wouldnt go back but even though I know how better they are I still am not able to desribe to someone why is that as I cant find the right words.

The DT990 have a brighter sound than most headphones, some even cosider them treble cannons. If he dislikes the colour scheme of the HD598s, check out the HD558s, they sound very similar. 

Some suggestions, K612 Pro, Q701s, AD700x. 

EDIT: Depending on the headphone, you'll need an AMP/DAC maybe. 

Thanks for the awsome answer man!

Could you say why you choose the K612 Pros and the Q701s?

- Intel i7 3770|Noctua NH-D14 -Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 -Evga Sc Signature 2 GTX 680 -Fractal Define R4 -2TB WD Black Caviar -120GB Samsung 840 Pro -Cosair TX 650Watt -Benq XL2420T -CM Storm Quickfire TK -Zowie Ec1 Evo -Fiio E10 -

Audio Technica Ath-AD700x

Thanks for the awsome answer man!

Could you say why you choose the K612 Pros and the Q701s?

They're great headphones haha, they're just some things to consider. The reason I said you'll want an Amp/DAC combo depending on the headphone is because the K612 Pros and Q701s are harder to drive than the others. Between the two, the 612 is the more neutral of the two, has less bass, a smaller soundstage though better imaging, and is more comfortable for me because of the bumps on the headband. There are other differences in the sound, but those are what I think you'll notice.