Potential reason for the bending issues of the iPhone 6 Plus

ZeroBreaker

For now, I have nothing more to say... If you still believe that the rough application of statistical probability is outright fortune telling, then I won't question or judge you... As I said earlier, only time will tell...

Except you don't have statistics! That's the whole point, you have nothing to go on. Nobody does, yet there's a massive "omg huge design flaw" argument going on.

Prove it!

People saying that there will be more bend reports as time goes on....

OBVIOUSLY. As Apple continues to sell phones over time, that increases the size of the pool that units could be defective. Still a very very small percentage. Even if there were 150,000 reports of bend gate later in the iPhone 6's lifetime. Out of 15m sold that's only 1% of affected users and I believe iPhones sell more units than even that.

EDIT: And isn't the acceptable failure rate of electronics around 2-3%? 

Except you don't have statistics! That's the whole point, you have nothing to go on. Nobody does, yet there's a massive "omg huge design flaw" argument going on.

Prove it!

Well I know you're not blind since you're posting here, so you may have possibly neglected to look at the OP and immediately took to defending a company that doesn't give two shits about you.

The phone has a design flaw. Period. Many more people are going to come forward about the issue sooner rather than later. You're not going to hear a peep out of Apple about a number greater than 9 (like Valve can't count passed 3) until someone else reports on it.

my guess is that its pressed/casted aluminum not billet like the HTC. 

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Well I know you're not blind since you're posting here, so you may have possibly neglected to look at the OP and immediately took to defending a company that doesn't give two shits about you.

I'm not defending a company, I'm telling people to apply some critical thinking when taking viral, sensationalist rumours at face value.

relevant and worth reading, at least the beginning.

I suppose we can now change that "statistic" to 10.

https://imgur.com/gallery/CSSfH

this touches on my earlier post, might not even qualify under their metric since they aren't taking responsibility (I don't know what would make them)

Error: 410

Not Chocolate, but I think it gets to the point

http://web1.calbaptist.edu/dskubik/pinto.htm

yup, has no one seen fight club?

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

yup, has no one seen fight club?

First rule. Your in a heap of trouble, son.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

this touches on my earlier post, might not even qualify under their metric since they aren't taking responsibility (I don't know what would make them)

EDIT: Whoops, thought you were the OP of that post.

I believe they're counting all RMA inquiries, regardless if they take responsibility or not.

EDIT: Whoops, thought you were the OP of that post.

I believe they're counting all RMA inquiries, regardless if they take responsibility or not.

How though? If that's what they were actually doing that number would be well beyond 9 due to sheer volume of users.

Error: 410

I'm not defending a company, I'm telling people to apply some critical thinking when taking viral, sensationalist rumours at face value.

honestly, do you own a iPhone?

or any apple product?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

This to me seems clearly like a design flaw and not a defect, as Apple just confirmed. If it was a defect they would have replaced it at no cost, but since this type of damage isn't covered, they're identifying it as user mistake/damage and basically the way he was using it wasn't the way it was designed to hold up, which in this case was in a purse....

So pretty much, if you own an iPhone 6 plus, save yourself a lot of trouble and return it now before it bends, otherwise you will be SoL.... also the non-plus one just to be safe. 

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

This has really blown out of proportions and it's both sides fault. We've had far too many threads about "bendgate is not an issue! It's a conspiracy/the users fault!" and "the iPhone is crap! bendgate proves it!" already.

I did not know there was more than one proportion. :huh:  

Three simple rules to help this going forward:

1) All ravens are black.

2) All that is not black is not a raven.

3) That grey thing over there is an apple and thus not a raven.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

How though? If that's what they were actually doing that number would be well beyond 9 due to sheer volume of users.

I alluded to this in a previous post.

Yes we should view Apple's given number of "9 reports" with skepticism but even if we were to do the numbers and have Apple's product beyond the accepted failure rate (let's say 4% failure rate). There would have to be 400,000 reports of the iPhone 6 bending (out of 10million sold). I view 400,000 bent iphones with the same skepticism as 9 reports.

You have to realize that this Apple we're talking about. Any type of Apple news is amplified tenfold. 

1) All ravens are black.

4) if the grey thing is bent over its either an old man or an iphone 6+ eithier way point an laugh

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Why is wanting some quantifiable evidence besides the Internet rumour mill and the PR of their competitors a contentious issue on this forum?

There's some pretty quantifiable evidence already....

1. Videos showing it bend

2. Claims that Apple themselves have talked about

3. the above CS conversation

1) All ravens are black.

But why is the Apple grey? :P

It reminded me of this:

1)All men are mortal

2)I am a man

3)Ergo, I am mortal

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

But why is the Apple grey? :P

It reminded me of this:

1)All men are mortal

2)I am a man

3)Ergo, I am mortal

You might as well ask the company; that is the color of their logo.

Yep, that is Hempel's Paradox right there. What you have is a variation of the statement, mine is verbatim of the original paradox (save for the "grey" that was supposed to be "green").

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

I understand the sensationalist part, but the other part about applying critical thinking goes both ways.

I understand the sensationalist part, but the other part about applying critical thinking goes both ways.

Indeed it does but when we have such unmitigated disasters as iOS 8.0.1 which basically bricked 40,000 brand new iPhone 6s AND 6 Pluses happening in the same week, it's a bit silly that this gets latched on to when the latter was a much more concerning failure on Apple's part.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Indeed it does but when we have such unmitigated disasters as iOS 8.0.1 which basically bricked 40,000 brand new iPhone 6s AND 6 Pluses happening in the same week, it's a bit silly that this gets latched on to when the latter was a much more concerning failure on Apple's part.

Yes, it is a bit dumb . Thought that would fall under the sensationalist part though.

I was assuming the critical thinking bit according to the person I was replying to (can't be arsed to copy his name down, on mobile for the next few days) was about the 9 phones being bent and the possibility of there being more than what Apple has released to the media.

I do find it a bit dumb that Apple is constantly under a microscope, but then again they carry an image they've created to be super premium and the phones having an easily fixable issue is just as dumb. Out of all of the highly paid engineers at Apple, none of them saw the issue there?

I guess all this can be confirmed or denied if more bent reports surface.

I do find it a bit dumb that Apple is constantly under a microscope, but then again they carry an image they've created to be super premium and the phones having an easily fixable issue is just as dumb. Out of all of the highly paid engineers at Apple, none of them saw the issue there?

I'm honestly still not sure that it is an issue. We've seen data on both sides. I'd like to see an explanation of actually how it gets bent in pockets.

And if it is, I'm not sure that it's easily fixable. 

What I don't like about this is that the whole thinness thing only comes up because of this. If this hadn't happened, nobody would be talking about how amazing it was that it was that thin and didn't bend. It's only because a few of them bent that people are saying it's dumb that it's thin. If it is an easily fixable issue, it will be fixed without them telling us and they'll silently release emails to people who had bent ones offering them refunds, just like with the iPhone 5 and 5s battery issues.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I'm honestly still not sure that it is an issue. We've seen data on both sides. I'd like to see an explanation of actually how it gets bent in pockets.

And if it is, I'm not sure that it's easily fixable.

What I don't like about this is that the whole thinness thing only comes up because of this. If this hadn't happened, nobody would be talking about how amazing it was that it was that thin and didn't bend. It's only because a few of them bent that people are saying it's dumb that it's thin. If it is an easily fixable issue, it will be fixed without them telling us and they'll silently release emails to people who had bent ones offering them refunds, just like with the iPhone 5 and 5s battery issues.

I actually saw a bunch of people who complained about the thinness before the bendgate jokes happened due to the 9 reported complaints. The people said they didn't mind how thick the previous phone was and would rather have that slightly thicker phone to fix the protruding camera and potentially have a larger, longer lasting battery.

Plus, less of a chance for perma-bends :P

I actually saw a bunch of people who complained about the thinness before the bendgate jokes happened due to the 9 reported complaints. The people said they didn't mind how thick the previous phone was and would rather have that slightly thicker phone to fix the protruding camera and potentially have a larger, longer lasting battery.

Plus, less of a chance for perma-bends :P

Oh yeah, they complained about it for other reasons, but nobody said "wow, look at how thin it is and it still doesn't bend."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Oh yeah, they complained about it for other reasons, but nobody said "wow, look at how thin it is and it still doesn't bend."

I'm gonna have to reread your posts later because I'm confused at what you're saying now, haha.

It's not your fault, I'm just multitasking at the moment.