Apple’s iPhone testing is not apple-icable to real life scenarios

Nxl8

So, there is a lot of talk (and I mean a lot of talk) about Apple’s bending phones and I am afraid I will be joining the cacophony of voices. Now for the article (obviously…)

Although the title is a bit sensationalist it appears to be true, if you look at the CNBC video[1] they are testing the iPhone on a “hammock”-like shape material, potentially some kind of rubber.

Now, if you think about your pocket, your leg is not flexible like that and, especially if you wear tight trousers, the force is likely to cause the iPhone to be pressed against a very hard surface with a slight bend in said surface. If this “hammock” looking machine is supposed to prove that Apple rigorously tested the iPhone 6 in real life situations then they have not appeared to do so.

Apple appears to also be testing it against a hard angled surface, which seems reasonable but it is, again, not a very realistic scenario when it comes to everyday life, especially if they are trying to prove that they tested for the pocket bending eventuality.

I am not a product tester, nor an engineer and I do not pretend to be one (feel free to correct me), but I am someone with common sense and when you look at the video their testing apparatus does not appear to test things realistically for the event they are trying is prove was tested for, and is rare. I do not know if this is specific to Apple or industry wide, and I’m sure they have other devices the video does not show, I am merely basing my point on what I see, and what I see isn’t good enough.

Full list of links:

1. http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000313950&trknav=videogallerycarousel:10:46
  2. https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/515258417964138496

Props to @RH00D for posting the article that gave me the idea for this post

"Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week; why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!" —Samantha Carter

just dont sit on your iphone 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

So...every phone company that runs the same stress/torture tests is not applicable to real life use? 

Cause thats what you're saying. Apple isn't the only company who does this. 

Nokia, IMHO, has some of the best/most amusing torture tests that I've seen to boot. 

By that logic, its not applicable either. 

If you don't put your phone in your back pocket, you won't have this issue. Simple as.

Now can people please stop on the apple hate train, it's boring me now. It seems every single article that is in the news section this week has been about apple.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

or if people just realizing that its not apples fault that their phones are bending when the sit on it 

So...every phone company that runs the same stress/torture tests is not applicable to real life use? 

Cause thats what you're saying. Apple isn't the only company who does this. 

Nokia, IMHO, has some of the best/most amusing torture tests that I've seen to boot. 

By that logic, its not applicable either. 

I am not saying testing something to destruction is bad, but you really need to do real life tests as well and to quote myself:

I do not know if this is specific to Apple or industry wide and I’m sure they have other devices the video does not show, I am merely basing my point on what I see, and what I see isn’t good enough.

This is not a direct bash at Apple, but they are in the news and so this is.

or if people just realizing that its not apples fault that their phones are bending when the sit on it

I also think it was front pockets as well according to what I have heard from the news, I cannot provide a source as it was on TV.

"Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week; why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!" —Samantha Carter

SHUT UP! I'm sick of this! God, there are other companies in the world you know! FFS just stop! Can there please just be one "bendgate" thread and one "iOS8" thread and stuff just gets merged into them?

Here's an idea companies, pay some teenagers to test your products, instead of some jackass engineer who thinks a laboratory can translate to every day usage.

(no offense to engineers that actually do good things)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I agree on the Nokia having the most fun/realistic testing of their phones, that's probably why they are so durable! :D
On another note I'd like to BEG everyone to stop with the iPhone "news", we've had enough of them on the forum, it's just starting to be annoying and piss people off, also there are existing threads for this, just post in them. :)

SHUT UP! I'm sick of this! God, there are other companies in the world you know! FFS just stop! Can there please just be one "bendgate" thread and one "iOS8" thread and stuff just gets merged into them?

I agree on the Nokia having the most fun/realistic testing of their phones, that's probably why they are so durable! :D

On another note I'd like to BEG everyone to stop with the iPhone "news", we've had enough of them on the forum, it's just starting to be annoying and piss people off, also there are existing threads for this, just post in them. :)

Sorry if this annoys you, but I could not find a thread that was truely relevant to this; I would have considered the post to be off topic as this is criticising their testing methods and the industry as a whole. I believe this to be a seperate topic with slight links in reference to why the testing is flawed.

Sorry if this annoys you, but I could not find a thread that was truely relevant to this; I would have considered the post to be off topic as this is criticising their testing methods and the industry as a whole. I believe this to be a seperate topic with slight links in reference to why the testing is flawed.

I agree, my comment wasn't personal but more general towards all members, instead of discussing this like adults (even though quite a few members aren't adults) and viewing arguments and providing solid feedback (possibly with proof) we end up flaming at one another. Which we all know isn't good. :)

I agree, my comment wasn't personal but more general towards all members, instead of discussing this like adults (even though quite a few members aren't adults) and viewing arguments and providing solid feedback (possibly with proof) we end up flaming at one another. Which we all know isn't good. :)

Oh yes, of course. This is why I wrote my orginal article in a slighty wordy manner. I was also hoping this would get more attention if it was written in a seperate thread, so more people would notice.

Wtf is the point of putting a phone in the back pocket when you have to take it out every time you sit? Can someone who actually does this explain?

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Wtf is the point of putting a phone in the back pocket when you have to take it out every time you sit? Can someone who actually does this explain?

Wouldn't know. I usually put my phone in my front pocket, I usually wear jeans (not the tight kind) and it's been no problem so far with a 4.5" phone. Will have to see how it goes when I get a new phone after January. :)

If you don't put your phone in your back pocket, you won't have this issue. Simple as.

Now can people please stop on the apple hate train, it's boring me now. It seems every single article that is in the news section this week has been about apple.

Nobody ever said anything about a back pocket. The complains comes from people who have had it bend in their front pockets.

See thing thing is, my moto G is in my back pocket all the time and it doesn't bend. There is no excuse not when the device is like £550

pockets hold stuff and things meant to be pocketed should not be damaged in standard pocket use. So yeah, Apple does need to hire some engineers and quality controll.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

just don't put it on your pants pocket. hold it or put it on your bag. <- this is ridiculous though lol

CPU:  i5 4690 Motherboard: AsRock H81M-VG4 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz Graphics Card: Sapphire HD7870 OC Intel HD4600  MSI R9 270X HAWX Storage: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm, 120GB WDC Scorpio 5400 rpm PSU: Corsair VS550 Chassis: Custom Open Air Case OS: Windows 8.1 X64 Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical Mousepad: Roccat Taito Keyboard: Armageddon Kalashnikov AK-770i

just don't put it on your pants pocket. hold it or put it on your bag. <- this is ridiculous though lol

Put it in your hat.

People claim bends from front pockets.

And IMO the stress point is during e.g. sitting down, where top of your pocket bends (along with 6+); when in jeans you can even feel the phone on your thigh and I'm not talking about tight fit.