Dual 770 or Single 780

Atyke
Go to solution Solved by samuel,

Single 780 all the way! Space left for SLI and a lot of power saving until then. Less driver issues as well.

Hello.

I know... The first thing everyone is gonna say is that its not really a fair comparison.. But I was just wondering if it would be worth getting 2 770s in SLI or just getting a single 780.  In terms of price to performance, would it be reasonable to get 2 770s in SLI?

Thanks.

PS. New to the Forums :)

Single 780 all the way! Space left for SLI and a lot of power saving until then. Less driver issues as well.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Lol. You know, for some reason, I never thought of getting just one 780 then getting another one later for SLI.... xD Thanks for the advice :P

I don't think you'll need two 770's. If you don't, it's probably more cost effective to get the 780.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Personally, for the price of the 780, id choose the old generation GTX 680.

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

Just wondering, what wattage psu would be enough for SLI 780 on a sandy/ivy bridge set up on air/all-in-one cooler?

Just wondering, what wattage psu would be enough for SLI 780 on a sandy/ivy bridge set up on air/all-in-one cooler?

A decent 750 will probably do it, but if you want it to run more efficiently I'd recommend an 850w from the likes of Corsair AX series or Seasonic X.

If you're considering 770 SLI, then why not go for a Titan? For the cost of 2 770's you can have the fastest GPU on the planet.

Dual 770 will have more performance but will be more expensive. But my choice would be a single 780 which is more then enough performance for now and if its coming short in some time buy a second or upgrade a new generation!

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

Okay thanks guys! I think I'll go for single 780! :) I realized that it wasn't equal in price. :o

Okay thanks guys! I think I'll go for single 780! :) I realized that it wasn't equal in price. :o

Nice choice! I hope you enjoy the card!

I have a GTX 660 superclocked and want to get another GTX 660 superclocked but i was debating between 2x GTX 660 SLI or a GTX 770?