Velcro for mounting hard drives?

the jolly roger

So i plan on dumping out the drive cages and my corsair 350d, and use velcro to attach 1 of the 2 drives (the 2nd on is m.2) its a WD blue, pretty standard. I read somewhere that i must be screwed in for proper grounding, but i really want to get rid of the drive cages, so i plan on mounting the 3.5 drive on top of the PSU, (i can mount it sideways behind motherboard but that stresses the data writing thingy). Is it safe? i know it wont slide around with proper velcro, and it wont overheat because there is penty of air over there. so the question is.... is it safe???

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

It will be "safe" theoretically, just make sure it doesn't move around in there. Don't put it behind the motherboard tray, I would only do that with SSDs. So yea, refrain from physically movement and you should be fine, put like 2 strips of velcro to be safe. Also make sure it isn't directly over your PSU fan if your PSU is fan-up.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

So i plan on dumping out the drive cages and my corsair 350d, and use velcro to attach 1 of the 2 drives (the 2nd on is m.2) its a WD blue, pretty standard. I read somewhere that i must be screwed in for proper grounding, but i really want to get rid of the drive cages, so i plan on mounting the 3.5 drive on top of the PSU, (i can mount it sideways behind motherboard but that stresses the data writing thingy). Is it safe? i know it wont slide around with proper velcro, and it wont overheat because there is penty of air over there. so the question is.... is it safe???

I think you can position any way except upside down (for obvious reasons). But like the above post, i would refrain from placing it behind the motherboard tray.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I stuck my hard drive in my optical drive bay. I screwed it into the tray, then put velcro on the bottom of the tray and on the bottom of the bay and stuck it there.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

It will be "safe" theoretically, just make sure it doesn't move around in there. Don't put it behind the motherboard tray, I would only do that with SSDs. So yea, refrain from physically movement and you should be fine, put like 2 strips of velcro to be safe. Also make sure it isn't directly over your PSU fan if your PSU is fan-up.

yea, sideways mechanical hdds is a no-no, the psu is fan down, getting air from the floor.

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

yea, sideways mechanical hdds is a no-no, the psu is fan down, getting air from the floor.

Ok, then you should be good to go. Or you could do what I did, I happened to have a 3.5" HDD adapter to make it fit in 5.25" drive bays.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Sideways is fine.

nope, it stresses the writing thingy so it recudes lifetime

Nope. Drives will function without any change at vertical/horizontal at any x,y,z axis.

Many years ago this was a problem with the heads due to gravity really. So reformatting the drive before putting it in a different way would fix it but was never an issue.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Velcro has something called static electricity attached or conducted through it. Double sided tape would be a better choice. 

edit: I'm tired. Forget this one.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It'll be fine. It'll even reduce vibrations transferred to the chassis.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

It depends if you're going to be moving the thing about. The thing will hold, but when velcro causes friction it generates static, and static is lethal to HHDs. If you tend to cart the case about, I'd personally not risk it - but then what's life without risk?

• 5 years later...

I want to mount a 2.5" hdd to a 3.5" hdd mounted inside my coolermaster elite 110. Both drives will be sideway. I'll use velcro. 

I'd prefer to be mounting an SSD there but it seems like it would require dramatically reworking my cable runs and that might ultimately be required

Edited by mirddes

On 9/24/2014 at 5:29 PM, the jolly roger said:

(i can mount it sideways behind motherboard but that stresses the data writing thingy)

On 9/24/2014 at 5:33 PM, terrytek said:

I think you can position any way except upside down (for obvious reasons). But like the above post, i would refrain from placing it behind the motherboard tray.

On 9/24/2014 at 5:33 PM, the jolly roger said:

On 9/24/2014 at 5:39 PM, ttam said:

Sideways is fine.

On 9/24/2014 at 5:45 PM, the jolly roger said:

On 5/9/2020 at 9:30 PM, mirddes said:

I want to mount a 2.5" hdd to a 3.5" hdd mounted inside my coolermaster elite 110. Both drives will be sideway. I'll use velcro.

About 8+ years ago I had a 2TB 3.5" WD drive (WD20EARX) that I ran in an external enclosure.  (I didn't have a working PC at the time that supported 3.5" bays.)  The enclosure, a Rosewill RX-358 V2 (iirc) had a fan on it which would get choked if I ran the drive right side up, so I ran it upside down.

I had to RMA the drive.  WD sent me a recertified WD20EADS.  (Would have thought they'd send the same model (unless it was known to have problems, in which case an equal or not lesser replacement, and not recertified.)

Also when I see cases that have the HDDs intended to be mounted sideways, like some of the cheap $30-50 cases from a few years ago (like Fractal Design Core 1000), I get nervous that HDDs mounted that way wouldn't last at least as long as these.

1656049426_HDDspre-2020-2020-05-11a.thumb.jpg.670487646dc5064c5b4c6a44ce8570d1.jpg