Bought a Gigabyte 780ti near the end of august for $637, now that they've dropped so much in price. Should I keep or sell?

Iankiller99

Back when I bought my card the 980 and 970 were still just rumored and not known to be coming out, and after I purchased my card I felt a bit better because my 780ti was projected to perform better than the 980. Now that the 980 performs better in (at least games) and the 780ti is now cheaper than it. What should I do? Keep my card and upgrade later? Sell now before they get too low? I know it still is a beast of a card that performs great in all the titles I'll be playing @ 1080p. What would you do in my situation?

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H440 Blue/Black Special Edition   CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.3GHz    Cpu Cooler: Cryorig H5

Graphics Card:  Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780ti OC 3GB Stock Clock 1020MHz Boost Clock 1085MHz   Motherboard:  Asus Z97-A ATX Motherboard

RAM: 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600MHz   Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda @ 7200rpm, 128GB SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD Audio: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Wireless Gaming Headset  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

I'd keep it.

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Back when I bought my card the 980 and 970 were still just rumored and not known to be coming out, and after I purchased my card I felt a bit better because my 780ti was projected to perform better than the 980. Now that the 980 performs better in (at least games) and the 780ti is now cheaper than it. What should I do? Keep my card and upgrade later? Sell now before they get too low? I know it still is a beast of a card that performs great in all the titles I'll be playing @ 1080p. What would you do in my situation?

i have a similar problem i would keep my card and then upgrade during the 1000 series or whatever they are called because they are probably going to be on the 20nm process node so it will have even more performance and less heat output

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Keep it, you will just lose money and the 980 is barely better than the 780ti which is still a stellar card

If you are sticking at 1080p there is literally NO reason to want a better card

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

if you are at 1080 you shouldn't upgrade as all you will get is more tearing unless you have a 144hz display than you have some playing room

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Seriously, is your 780ti suddenly not playing games? FFS, just enjoy what you got!

Its not so much performance i'm worried about, its the computer parts i'm saving to buy, that I could have gotten with the extra 150$. 

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H440 Blue/Black Special Edition   CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.3GHz    Cpu Cooler: Cryorig H5

Graphics Card:  Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780ti OC 3GB Stock Clock 1020MHz Boost Clock 1085MHz   Motherboard:  Asus Z97-A ATX Motherboard

RAM: 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600MHz   Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda @ 7200rpm, 128GB SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD Audio: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Wireless Gaming Headset  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Its not so much performance i'm worried about, its the computer parts i'm saving to buy, that I could have gotten with the extra 150$. 

Dude, with that 780ti you're set for a long, long time so don't stress about it. Wether a 780ti or 980, you'll have to upgrade around the same time anyway so it won't make that much difference in the long run.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

You have already spent the money, unfortunately there is probably no getting it back. The 780ti is not a slouch of a card by any means, just keep it and enjoy.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro