[Discussion] Whats the most economic price AMD would drop their 290 series to to even compete with the 900 series?

LaboonTheWhale

I was looking to get another 290 to crossfire but now seeing the 900 series being released and how amazing and well priced they are... I was tempted to just sell my 290+ waterblock and get a 970 and a waterblock because ITS SO DAMN CHEAP. 

What do you guys think AMD COULD do to even compete with these new cards unless they unveil something amazing.

I was looking on Ebay for used 290's to crossfire but they are all reaching the $250 mark. Seeing how the 970 is only around the $350 mark (depending on the location) It seems like I should just shell out the extra to get a brand new card instead of a second hand one. 

Also to mention how much less power they eat compared to the Hawaii GPU's. 

I started with AMD and I want to keep customer loyalty because thats the kind of guy I am, but they have been severely lacking lately and my power bill is kinda crying to me... 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I will buy an AMD GPU when they have better power efficiency. I don't care if its better than the 980. I want a GPU that runs cool and uses less power.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I will buy an AMD GPU when they have better power efficiency. I don't care if its better than the 980. I want a GPU that runs cool and uses less power.

I have my GPU OC'd and it runs about 45 degrees which I cannot complain too much about. but the omnoming of power (I didn't think of this before since I lived with my parents and now I'm on my own) it hurts. 

my power bill is kinda crying to me... 

I'm just gonna go ahead and keep spamming this on every thread I see mentioning the words "R9 290(X)" and "power bill". The hole power consumption thing is mostly hype. The 290 consumes roughly 100W more than the 970, 100W = 0.1kW. Now lets say you use it at full load for 2 hours a day. Thats 2*31=62 hours a month. 62h*0.1kW = 6.2kWh/month of extra power the R9 290 consumes. Now lets say you live in the US, where the average price per kWh is $0.12 thats 6*0.12 =

$0.72 

on your monthly power bill. Getting a 970 would save you 70 cents per month. You'd have to use it for decades to make up for the money you lost selling it and getting a new card.

I'm just gonna go ahead and keep spamming this on every thread I see mentioning the words "R9 290(X)" and "power bill". The hole power consumption thing is mostly hype. The 290 consumes roughly 100W more than the 970, 100W = 0.1kW. Now lets say you use it at full load for 2 hours a day. Thats 2*31=62 hours a month. 62h*0.1kW = 6.2kWh/month of extra power the R9 290 consumes. Now lets say you live in the US, where the average price per kWh is $0.12 thats 6*0.12 =

$0.72

on your monthly power bill. Getting a 970 would save you 70 cents per month. You'd have to use it for decades to make up for the money you lost selling it and getting a new card.

This.

but.. If the 970 outperforms the 290x on Nvidia favored games, and is only like 10% slower on mostly everything else, while the 980 is just substantially better in virtually every way possible and omg overclocking, then...Is there really even such a thing as a great price for them? I doubt they'll down the 290x to competing with the 970, but as sad as it is that's where it should be, and it just can't fit into that price bracket. The only thing really contending on AMD's market above 300$ these days is the 295x2, and literally just because they dropped it by 500$ to compete... It only beats 980's in SLI in like 1/5th of the game market though :(

Of course, when I speak of the 970, I'm referring to 1080p and in some cases the 1440p scene. When you crank up to the uhd and 4k resolutions the 290x starts to shine again, however I might add, I would never say to a non-savvy computer builder, buy one of these two cards to run your 4k or multi monitor system! They don't reliably run 60fps for modern games under those circumstances, 1440p is where they still belong I feel. I think the 980 is our first tentative step of single carded solutions into approaching 4k&surround screens running a stable 60fps on a good amount of games..

And this is all on new drivers :DDDD somuch hype.

$0.72 

Thank you! I'm sick of all this power bill bull crap. nVidia is like the Apple of GPU manufacturers. (iPhone 6 hype for Android features from 2012) Here we have the same performance with less power. Great. Do they think we run our overclocked gaming desktops off of a laptop battery? The light bulbs in my room consume more power than my damn gaming gaming pc. The only good thing about the 900 series is the price point. But in reality, nvidia is lowering prices to AMD levels a year later, after ripping people off on the 700 series. GG nvidia you greedy b****rds.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky