DT 770 Pro - worst audio I've heard (helped needed)

ImDanil

So I purchased Beyerdynamic's DT 770 Pro 250 ohms. Professional headphones (arguably), $170-ish (refurbished); should be godly, right?

Unfortunately, that wasn't quite the case. There is little to no bass, and the audio itself sounds atrocious. Apple headphones sound better.

The only bonus so far is that they are the most comfortable things I have ever put on my head.

So I need help determining the problem so I don't have to return them, because I really want to like them.

One problem that could be the cause: they're refurbished. Could be possible that whatever problems it had previously are back.

The second possible issue is that I'm using the 3.5mm jack, rather than 6.3mm (6.3 screws off). My computer/sound card does not have the right size jack.

Things I've tried:

So I messed with the different sound levels and it made the sound bearable, although some parts of songs did a volume dip, which is rather annoying.

I also plugged in my crappy $40 sound card, hoping that by some miracle it would help. It did not. It made it worse.

I'm also going to contact them directly soon and see if they can determine the problem.

Thanks in advance!

No images? Worst. Signature. Ever.

Possibly a fake? Cause I would definitely not say there's no bass. Maybe you on-board is complete crap, or you soundcard. Since it's 250ohms it may be effected by damping factor. The jack size doesn't matter at all. 

sounds like dented membranes/cones, which is very unlikey to occur on both sides at the same time, though....

The jack won't be the issue, so don't worry about that.

It could be that they're refurbished, something gone wrong with them possibly.

It also could be that they are fakes? Especially if they were labelled as refurbished, could have been bought by a previous owner, then they sent back fakes and pretended they didn't work. I've heard of this happening very often. Or the seller just sold you fakes thinking you'd know no better. Who was the seller?

But yeah, they shouldn't be sounding worse than Apple headphones, that's for sure.

Possibly a fake? Cause I would definitely not say there's no bass. Maybe you on-board is complete crap, or you soundcard. Since it's 250ohms it may be effected by damping factor. The jack size doesn't matter at all. 

All the other headsets I use sound fine, just these ones. It could be a possibility that they're fake, although their Amazon has 4.9 star rating with over 1.3k votes. I would more than likely bet they're not fake. I don't think they would risk their reputation.

sounds like dented membranes/cones, which is very unlikey to occur on both sides at the same time, though....

I've been having some bad luck lately, so it's possible, haha.

The jack won't be the issue, so don't worry about that.

It could be that they're refurbished, something gone wrong with them possibly.

It also could be that they are fakes? Especially if they were labelled as refurbished, could have been bought by a previous owner, then they sent back fakes and pretended they didn't work. I've heard of this happening very often. Or the seller just sold you fakes thinking you'd know no better. Who was the seller?

But yeah, they shouldn't be sounding worse than Apple headphones, that's for sure.

As mentioned before, I don't think they would risk their reputation on Amazon for a couple extra bucks. (although sending back fakes sounds like something that would happen :o)

I am leaning more towards the refurbishment being the cause.

All the other headsets I use sound fine, just these ones. It could be a possibility that they're fake, although their Amazon has 4.9 star rating with over 1.3k votes. I would more than likely bet they're not fake. I don't think they would risk their reputation.

I've been having some bad luck lately, so it's possible, haha.

As mentioned before, I don't think they would risk their reputation on Amazon for a couple extra bucks. (although sending back fakes sounds like something that would happen :o)

I am leaning more towards the refurbishment being the cause.

It's not amazon that would be scamming you, it could be possible someone returned their fake DT770, which they marked as "refurbished" then you were unlucky enough to receive it. This has happened to me in the past when buying used/refurbished, so I tend to only buy new these days.

It's not amazon that would be scamming you, it could be possible someone returned their fake DT770, which they marked as "refurbished" then you were unlucky enough to receive it. This has happened to me in the past when buying used/refurbished, so I tend to only buy new these days.

I knew I should of bought new, but I wanted to save the $60. Never again.

Thanks, man.

I knew I should of bought new, but I wanted to save the $60. Never again.

Thanks, man.

Maybe you can take some pictures? I might be able to spot somethings that look fake to me. Maybe you can get a replacement somehow?

Yeah, take pictures if you can.

Also, did you buy from Amazon themselves, or a third party seller on Amazon?

But yeah, I'd send them back. Open Amazon live chat, say they sound horrible and not working properly, then they will send a courier out to pick them up. Once they get them back, they'll send out replacements or refund you. Amazon's customer service is excellent either way, you'll have zero issues getting your headphones replaced.

Contact Beyerdynamic, they have good customer service. They sent my friend 2 new DT-990 drivers for free after a quick email exchange.

main(i){for(;i<101;i++)printf("Fizz\n\0Fizzz\bBuzz\n\0%d\n"+(!(i%5)^!!(i%3)*3)*6,i);}

sounds like u have a defective one. dt 770 has got some nice bass to it

Yup, found that out when I was researching my problem.

Maybe you can take some pictures? I might be able to spot somethings that look fake to me. Maybe you can get a replacement somehow?

Will do, and I'm returning them. A friend has a headset I can borrow for a while.

Check back in 10-15 minutes for the pictures.

Yeah, take pictures if you can.

Also, did you buy from Amazon themselves, or a third party seller on Amazon?

But yeah, I'd send them back. Open Amazon live chat, say they sound horrible and not working properly, then they will send a courier out to pick them up. Once they get them back, they'll send out replacements or refund you. Amazon's customer service is excellent either way, you'll have zero issues getting your headphones replaced.

Third party from Amazon. Look up AudioDeluxe, they have some nice reviews.

Check back in 10-15 minutes for the pictures.

Contact Beyerdynamic, they have good customer service. They sent my friend 2 new DT-990 drivers for free after a quick email exchange.

I couldn't find their email support, but I'm returning them. Could use the extra money for now.

Even if that was a completely new product, fresh from the factory, there's still a small chance that you'd get a defective product. Even if say, with their strict QC, there's only 3% of getting a defective product, the chance is still there. That's why warranties and customer services exist. So don't think too much of it. If anything, just think of it as a tiny bad luck. As long as you can RMA it, then you don't lose the money. Maybe some extra for shipping and handling, but it's better than nothing.

Even if that was a completely new product, fresh from the factory, there's still a small chance that you'd get a defective product. Even if say, with their strict QC, there's only 3% of getting a defective product, the chance is still there. That's why warranties and customer services exist. So don't think too much of it. If anything, just think of it as a tiny bad luck. As long as you can RMA it, then you don't lose the money. Maybe some extra for shipping and handling, but it's better than nothing.

This, though make sure you make the seller pay for shipping, OP. It's their responsibility to pay to get the item back, then send out a new one at no cost to you.

This, though make sure you make the seller pay for shipping, OP. It's their responsibility to pay to get the item back, then send out a new one at no cost to you.

Thanks guy. Luckily Amazon took care of everything!

they look real to me. I have MMX 300's which are basically a headset version of the 32ohm version of those and well they sound nothing like what you saiod so im going to assume something is wrong with them.

Well that's cool that Amazon took care of it.. but I hope this experience hasn't dissuaded you from wanting to buy this headphone.

I have bought the dt 770 pro in 250 ohm version and have been thoroughly impressed by it. I haven't heard a lot (well, any tbh..) of apple headphones but I would assume these to be better sounding than anything apple has. The one downside I can think that this headphone has is that they can get a little hot with their closed design.. this can be a prob if you're prone to getting a hot head..

The nice thing about this headphone is that it will still sound really good with just your integrated sound card or whatever you have going because it's 250 ohm. I bet even a smart phone could drive the speakers in these but I haven't experimented a lot of that with mine.. I was perplexed as to why you went for the refurbished ones when new don't cost very much more.. but oh well. Goodluck :)