EVGA announces their 980/970 cards

79wjd

Huh. That's an EK logo on the block. Looks like Nvidia ditched Swiftech for this round.

That'd be EVGA's choice, not Nvidia. And yes, EVGA decided to go with us, starting with the Titan-Z HC released this previous spring.

I don't plan on doing this at all... This more of a random thought. 

Do you think that putting green fabric of some kind in that cutout would cause any issues? I've seen people do that with back-plates with a decent amount of success.

Uh yes I guess you could... or just green coolant might be a better choice.

Second opinion needed: would upgrading to the ACX 970 from my 880/1250 7950 be worth it? Keep in mind that I can't OC my 7950 because I pushed it too hard without realizing and damaged it. Also keep in mind that I'm extremely budget-constrained.

That'd be EVGA's choice, not Nvidia. And yes, EVGA decided to go with us, starting with the Titan-Z HC released this previous spring.

Oops, that's what I meant to say. Sorry. I didn't even notice the mistake until you pointed it out. Either way, it's a nice looking block. Oh and since you're here it's a little off topic but any idea if any of your current blocks will work on the Strix 970? My brother is looking into getting one and he'd want to put a block on it. It's not listed in the cooling configurator yet, so figured I'd ask.

Oh it would make this section green? 

fb7c8777ea.jpg

I haven't touched custom loops in like 3 or 4 years.... So I'm a little out of the loop (no pun intended)

Although it is facing down so it literally doesn't matter at all... Just a though.

fb7c8777ea.jpg

I haven't touched custom loops in like 3 or 4 years.... So I'm a little out of the loop (no pun intended)

Although it is facing down so it literally doesn't matter at all... Just a though.

get a rig that has a reversed mother board

Did anyone take a look at their gpu-fans? I think this time it sucks the air out of the sink instead of pushing it in.

how does that help??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

The ACX is cheaper than the reference in Norway... Wut

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

how does that help??

Dunno, I didn't consider that the fans would spin backwards.

144Hz goodness

EVGA messed up LOL

Their cooler was rushed and nobody is going to want their cards now.  RMA yours if you have one.

http://www.eteknix.com/evga-gtx-970-feature-manufacturing-defect/

I doubt thats going to cause as much of an issue as you think it will. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

fb7c8777ea.jpg

Yes. Not all cases are standard. Lots of test bench/horizontal cases lately as well as "reverse ATX" which show off this part of the card quite well.

Oops, that's what I meant to say. Sorry. I didn't even notice the mistake until you pointed it out. Either way, it's a nice looking block. Oh and since you're here it's a little off topic but any idea if any of your current blocks will work on the Strix 970? My brother is looking into getting one and he'd want to put a block on it. It's not listed in the cooling configurator yet, so figured I'd ask.

Still too early to confirm.

An OC'd 970 may come pretty close to a stock 780 Ti. Wait for more benchmarks.

Nooooooope.

Nope nope nope.

I've seen a few and it comes really close. I'm waiting for the PCper OC'd 970 review. 

The ASUS 970 used in this test has not been OC'd: http://techreport.com/review/27067/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-and-970-graphics-cards-reviewed/13

Well just saying, my GPU score on a OC'd 970 is 13.6K GPU score in 3D Mark 13.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

EVGA messed up LOL

Their cooler was rushed and nobody is going to want their cards now.  RMA yours if you have one.

http://www.eteknix.com/evga-gtx-970-feature-manufacturing-defect/

it's not a big deal even linus agreed in his video summary.

the card doesnt put out neough heat to need all 3 heat pipe's..........

but you read it on a forum somewhere right?

Yo soy el hombre murciélago

Nooooooope.

Nope nope nope.

Um, yes. All the posted benchmarks so far show the 970 falls between a 780 and 780TI.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

how does that help??

Dunno, I didn't consider that the fans would spin backwards.

The new fans on the ACX 2.0 cooler do not spin backwards, nor do they blow air in the opposite direction. As @GarlanTyrell already explained, you have to look closer at the blade cross-section profile to see they will still spin counter-clockwise and still blow air down through the cooler. It's just a different fan blade design than most of you are used to seeing. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Um, yes. All the posted benchmarks so far show the 970 falls between a 780 and 780TI.

How is that possible...Luke himself--the one who did the testing for LinusTechTips says its between a 770 and a 780. 

http://youtu.be/Eqz4tDM6Wl8?t=5m53s

And with MFAA on the 970 and MSAA on the 780, they should perform similarly, but the 780 will still likely pull ahead in most scenarios. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

How is that possible...Luke himself--the one who did the testing for LinusTechTips says its between a 770 and a 780.

http://youtu.be/Eqz4tDM6Wl8?t=5m53s

And with MFAA on the 970 and MSAA on the 780, they should perform similarly, but the 780 will still likely pull ahead in most scenarios.

Release drivers and Luke's comparison was stock to stock and a single sample. Benchmarks all over point at the 970 being near the 780TI in performance even on release drivers, and don't forget said drivers usually get 20% better before the EOL of graphics cards.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Release drivers and Luke's comparison was stock to stock and a single sample. Benchmarks all over point at the 970 being near the 780TI in performance even on release drivers, and don't forget said drivers usually get 20% better before the EOL of graphics cards.

His 970 was overclocked. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

At this point it's pretty much just get a 980 a d chill or wait for a potential 980ti

Yo soy el hombre murciélago

His 970 was overclocked. 

Yes all of Luke's benchmarked cards are OC'd. The point i was trying to make earlier was that from the benchmarks I have seen, a OC'd 970 can beat, match or come very close to a stock 780Ti.