Mineral Oil Cooled M-ITX

The Benjamins

I wanted to do this for the fun of it and to see how much it will improve to OK cooling of this PC.

Temps in oil:

CPU:

30c-40c Idle

78c Full Load after 2 hours of running.

VRM and RAM stay alot cooler then passive.

Oil temp:

24c idle

35c full load after 2 hours

Build Specs:

AMD A10-7850k 4.2Ghz CPU 900Mhz GPU(may fiddle with more now that its in the oil)

16 GB G.Skill Trident X 2400 Mhz

120 GB Samsung 840 EVO

Gigabyte F2A88XN-WIFI MOBO

120mm RAD

Noctua NH-L9a CPU cooler

450W gold SFS PSU

Koolance QD3 quick disconects

Puget systems ITX V1

WARNING: DO NOT use quick disconnects the mineral oil destroyed the rubber o-rings and they broke.

hPbD7WE.jpg

LOOO9FF.jpg

Ioq92IB.jpg

KgnI80L.jpg

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

that pc looks awfully close to the side of the desk... shame if someone were to push it... 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Looks soo ghetto haha but good job, i could never do that. 

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

I don't think 86C is very healthy for an AMD CPU, correct me if I'm wrong.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

84c might be too high don't you think?

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Ya I agree with you, All of those temps seem pretty high to me. B)

running at 60c in FAH on my 4.2GHz at 1.3v FX-8320. I think 84c is too much.

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

That is so cool! Mineral oil PCs are awesome :D

As for the temps you could easily tone down the CPU voltage to alleviate some of those temps. Or add MOAR radiators! On a side note I am pretty sure you will be fine submerging that SSD in the oil, only HDDs can't be submerged.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

running at 60c in FAH on my 4.2GHz at 1.3v FX-8320. I think 84c is too much.

My 8320 @ 4.4GHz (Stock Voltage, 4.5 on Stock gets unstable) maxes at  62C (Even at that temp, I get a bit nervous) in Prime95 Small LFFT. But I only get to 49C when playing BF4. 43C when playing TF2. I would go further but my CPU cooler is crap, I don't think it will handle any more voltage. I might get the NZXT Kraken X61 along with a S340.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

My 8320 @ 4.4GHz (Stock Voltage, 4.5 on Stock gets unstable) maxes at  62C (Even at that temp, I get a bit nervous) in Prime95 Small LFFT. But I only get to 49C when playing BF4. 43C when playing TF2. I would go further but my CPU cooler is crap, I don't think it will handle any more voltage. I might get the NZXT Kraken X61 along with a S340.

Max temps and volts that I might tolerate is 70c with 1.375 volts.

Spoiler

Max temps and volts that I might tolerate is 70c with 1.375 volts.

Yea, another thing is the wierd CPU temp readings on AMD cpus. In CoreTemp, HWMonitor (CPU "Package" section) I get readings of 45C max while Prime95, but on Asus Suite, and under the "Motherboard" section of HWMonitor, I have another reading named "CPU", and that one reads the same as Asus Suite. So I just go by the higher number (which seems to be more accurate) better safe than sorry.

That is so cool! Mineral oil PCs are awesome :D

As for the temps you could easily tone down the CPU voltage to alleviate some of those temps. Or add MOAR radiators! On a side note I am pretty sure you will be fine submerging that SSD in the oil, only HDDs can't be submerged.

But if you don't have to, why would you? :D You'll probably have to open it up afterwards to let it dry :P

But if you don't have to, why would you? :D You'll probably have to open it up afterwards to let it dry :P

Nah the point of mineral oil is it is 100% non conductive so you can literally submerge it and it won't be affected at all. It does nothing to let it dry at all, the only reason HDDs can't go in there is the liquid would cause the read/writing arm to stop moving. Although yeah I guess it is easier to swap out drives when they aren't under-oil.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Nah the point of mineral oil is it is 100% non conductive so you can literally submerge it and it won't be affected at all. It does nothing to let it dry at all, the only reason HDDs can't go in there is the liquid would cause the read/writing arm to stop moving. Although yeah I guess it is easier to swap out drives when they aren't under-oil.

I know what the point of mineral oil is :P I'm just saying is that an SSD doesn't need any cooling at all so why submerge it if you don't need to. It'll be more of a hassle to let the SSD dry out to be used in another system, assuming this one is temporary.

I have no idea what my OC settings are, I do know its a dirty OC i put on it a long time ago. and the SSD is not in it because the MOBO tray has mounting for it on the outside. it will make it easier to reuse the SSD.

I will look at the OC tomorrow.

You're gonna want a better CPU cooler... That is too high, buddy.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

that pc looks awfully close to the side of the desk... shame if someone were to push it... 

KA SPLOOSH

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

Ya I agree with you, All of those temps seem pretty high to me. B)

84c might be too high don't you think?

That's not the CPU temperature, that's the iGPU's temp, which is always higher than the CPU temp (which wasn't over 51°C on the picture).

His temps are fine, considering he OC'd the iGPU quite a bit.

Why use a CPU cooler at all?   :wacko:

-Rich

Spotswood Computer Cases

Why use a CPU cooler at all?   :wacko:

To transfer heat better to the oil.

I say shove that build into a customized fish tank. It will look better, and be much safer than an open container on the edge of your desk.

(And on that note, get a new desk too.)

I say shove that build into a customized fish tank. It will look better, and be much safer than an open container on the edge of your desk.

(And on that note, get a new desk too.)

Its on the that desk when I was working on it, I added a lid to it. But as of now I have no idea what I am going to use the PC for.