FIX: Loud South bridge Fans.

We all know that some Motherboards like the Asrock extreme9, Asrock extreme11 have that South bridge fan that is sometimes irritating.

Sometimes the BIOS won't let us change the fan speed and some people even result to manually removing it.

In this case, Asrock's Extreme Tuning Utility has limited options that have no real effect on the XFAN on the Asrock Extreme platform. Many users find this annoying and today i have found a fix to this.

1. Download Cheat Engine (I was using 6.2)

2. Open up your Asrock Extreme Tuning Utility

3. Open up Cheat engine and select the process "asrXTU.exe"

4. On the Asrock ETU, set the fan speed to X (fan speed can't be modified below 0 and <5 will be much quieter) and set the target temperature to level 10.

5. Begin a new scan on CE and set as "Unknown Initial Value" (4 byte)

6. Once the scan is complete, lower the level of target temperature to level 9 and scan for "Decreased Value"

7. Repeat the step above until you get 1 value which in this case, is the Target temperature in C.

8. Double click the last remaining value and when it appears at the bottom, change the number, eg "61 to 80" which is essentially 61c to 80c.

9. Hit space bar or tick the cross on the left hand side of the value.

10. Apply reapply the settings with the cheat engine numbers enabled.

The Fan speed drastically lowers and the noise is much more bearable. Of course, this means your southbridge temperature would go up so i would set the new Value of the target temperature to somewhere safe, but higher than it was originally. Keeping the fan speed at a moderate level instead of max already proves to have huge differences in sound and decent performance. On the Asrock Extreme9, i find Fan speed 3 is as quiet as fan speed 1 and the temperatures hover around 60c.

I hope this helps anyone with an annoying South Bridge fan and thanks for reading.

May use this to add photos and more details.

Most motherboards offer different fan profiles that drastically affect how loud a fan can be at a given time. If you are familiar with exploring the BIOS I'd recommend checking into it as opposed to 3rd party programs