What do you think off wireless headphones

TheRagingGamer

I have a wireless keyboard, mouse and i would like wireless headphones to go with them. So far i have not noticed a difference betwean wireless and wired KB and Mouse and i wonder if its the same with headphones. 

IF the wireless headphones have a really bad sound i will buy wired and wireless and plug both of them in. 

ps: what do you think of razor kraken pro 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

I would only buy them if they were bluetooth.

There are some ancient Sony RF headphones that still work and are sold. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Generally wireless headphones don't sound as good as wired headphones in the same price range, but if you're willing to spend $250 or so, you can get some very nice wireless headphones. 

These are my favorite wireless headphones "http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS-180-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B002TLT10S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410565618&sr=1-1&keywords=RS+180"

PS, I dislike the Krakens. 

The only good wireless ones at the Steelseries H.

For $300, there are better options. 

i have no problem with it G602 here good mouse good price

and i use astro a50 (was a gift ) would not recommend 

''FX-9590 Hotter than lava''

I think the convenience is nice, except when you have to charge them/swap batteries. I'm someone who tries to keep everything wired to set it and forget it. Controllers, internet connection, headphones, whatever it is if I can run it wired I usually will.

I think the convenience is nice, except when you have to charge them/swap batteries. I'm someone who tries to keep everything wired to set it and forget it. Controllers, internet connection, headphones, whatever it is if I can run it wired I usually will.

well my KB lasted a year without changing the batteries and the mouse still uses the ones i got with them 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

well my KB lasted a year without changing the batteries and the mouse still uses the ones i got with them 

Mice and keyboards aren't usually an issue since they don't use nearly as much juice as a headset. I just don't like having my batteries die on me in the middle of a game or something important.

Wireless headphones all have a few major cons compared to traditional wired headphones.

1. They require charging or switching batteries, and can die miduse leaving you without any headphones at all.
  2. They drain power from mobile devices such as laptops or phones much faster than traditional headphones.
  3. They cost more than traditional headphones with similar quality, and changing batteries can get expensive.
  4. They will not have "audiophile grade" quality no matter what you spend.

HOWEVER if you aren't an audiophile and are a bit of a neatfreak like myself the benefit of no wires can be worth it. Using them exclusively for in home, at computer listening negates my first two points entirely, using a rechargeable pair of headphones or rechargeable batteries will take off the battery cost, and if you're not an audiophile the quality should be more than good enough if you're willing to shell out the little bit extra for the wireless feature.

The Sennheiser RS 180 headphone's BoltActionWaffle recommended are probably your best bet. They have good quality audio, are fairly priced at about $220, and recharge wirelessly just by placing them onto the docking station. I don't think you'll find a better deal for a wireless headset in that price range and it can help keep your work area nice, clean, and cable free.

Wireless headphones all have a few major cons compared to traditional wired headphones.

1. They require charging or switching batteries, and can die miduse leaving you without any headphones at all.
  2. They drain power from mobile devices such as laptops or phones much faster than traditional headphones.
  3. They cost more than traditional headphones with similar quality, and changing batteries can get expensive.
  4. They will not have "audiophile grade" quality no matter what you spend.

HOWEVER if you aren't an audiophile and are a bit of a neatfreak like myself the benefit of no wires can be worth it. Using them exclusively for in home, at computer listening negates my first two points entirely, using a rechargeable pair of headphones or rechargeable batteries will take off the battery cost, and if you're not an audiophile the quality should be more than good enough if you're willing to shell out the little bit extra for the wireless feature.

1. Depends on the headphones, some have replaceable batteries and use Double A for example. 

2. Doesn't matter if these are for home use, OP has stated what he'll be using them for. 

3. This is a given.

4. Depends on who you ask. 

I have tried two different wireless headsets and one headphone. Not sure if you're looking for a headphone or headset but as you mentioned the awful Kraken, I'll give you my personal experience.

I have the Corsair V2100 and they are pretty good. They perform better than I expected them to (as they are wireless and a headset) and fulfill my needs. I also have a wireless mouse/keyboard that I use when I wanna watch movies, Netflix or whatever else on my TV. When I can't use speakers, they come in. And also while I'm gaming. Battery is great, the range covers my whole dorm and, when I go home, I can go to the kitchen and still hear/speak with no interference of my wireless network, cellphone(s), bluetooth, etc. I'd say it's about 10 meters of range, 12 if there aren't many walls etc. The battery used to last for 11hours now they only last for about 9 and a half (have them for almost a year). I really like them and, for $90, I think they have a great bang for the buck.

A friend of mine has the Astro A50 which look pretty good and are also amazing. I have not used them for longs periods of time nor tested the range it works, battery, etc but, from what my friend said it's worth $300. I can't agree with $300 for a headset but... well, if I had money laying around, why not?

Finally, my roommate has the Sennheiser RS120 and it's pretty good. Whenever I use them, I feel the difference between a "gaming" headset and a "real" headphone. I guess the sound is worse than a headphone with wires but bro, they are so great. They can be used with phones and whatnot because they use 3.5mm jack or 6.5mm. Really soft, comfortable and beautiful. However, no microphone so... I need that. Can't talk about range and battery life.

Bottom line: if you need the wireless capability, you'll like it. If you don't need it, if you get a wireless headphone/headset you'll start to use it and will really enjoy it. However, I think that any quality wired headphone/headset has better sound quality than the wireless versions but, well, I guess that's the price you have to pay but the difference isn't that enourmous for my non-audiophile ears.

(IMHO) I would never buy any sound-related-product from Razer. I have seen and tried them. Look nice and that's all. Bad sound quality and build quality is also shit. If headsets are bad, Razer's are the worst of them all then.

EDIT: Read some replies and I gotta say you will never have your headset die in the middle of a gaming session(talking about the one I have - V2100):

It starts to play a beep when the battery is low and, if you get your USB charger and plug it you can play it on a wired mode. Sometimes I don't even use the wireless feature, just leave the cable there and unplug if I need to.

I can't agree that it "drains more power" from a laptop or phone. Mine can't even be used with phones but, when I'm on my laptop, I can't even tell the difference if the battery is going down faster or not. Again, you can always use it in wired mode so there's that.

Batteries? Who uses that... rechargeable all the way.

Good luck.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

1. Depends on the headphones, some have replaceable batteries and use Double A for example. 

2. Doesn't matter if these are for home use, OP has stated what he'll be using them for. 

3. This is a given.

4. Depends on who you ask. 

Unless you're going to carry extra batteries with you everywhere point 1 still stands. I understand OP's situation, I just wanted to give him a complete rundown on the headphones before posting my suggestions. Like you said the drawbacks can be mostly overcome as long as you're using them in home and willing to spend a little more money. However I stand by my point that they currently do not have "audiophile" sound quality. The majority of people won't be impacted by the sound quality because they can still deliver a more than satisfactory listening experience, especially compared to consumer grade headphones and "gaming headsets" that most people are switching from.

Unless you're going to carry extra batteries with you everywhere point 1 still stands. I understand OP's situation, I just wanted to give him a complete rundown on the headphones before posting my suggestions. Like you said the drawbacks can be mostly overcome as long as you're using them in home and willing to spend a little more money. However I stand by my point that they currently do not have "audiophile" sound quality. The majority of people won't be impacted by the sound quality because they can still deliver a more than satisfactory listening experience, especially compared to consumer grade headphones and "gaming headsets" that most people are switching from.

Wireless headphones are very situational. for some they work very well, for other they do not meet their needs. I still think the RS 180's sound quite good for a pair of headphones, obviously wired headphones in its price range are better overall, but that doesn't change the fact that they're good. They're extremely comfortable, sound good, built well, and I haven't had any transmission issues yet. 

I absolutely agree. I'm actually planning on buying a pair before xmas because I like to keep my workplace neat and cable free.

'audiophile grade quality' is a very vague noun. What's the range of 'audiophile grade' and what's the line to be crossed to be considered 'audiophile grade' there? It's really hard to tell. Believe it or not, some people call Beats as 'audiophile grade'

The basic concept is this:

- wireless connection can't transfer analog stream (as wires could), it can only transfer digital streams, in bits of 0 and 1

- because of that, the DAC and the amp of the headphone is built-in inside the cup itself. This causes many limitations, such as, you're stuck with the built-in DAC and amp set until you die (or until the headphone dies). Say someday you have extra cash, and you buy $1000 DAC + $2000 amp that generate 'heavenly' sounds. Well, bad news, they can't be used with that wireless headphone

- DAC and amp inside of course need a power source, and that's where the battery comes in. So together, you got a power circuit, a DAC circuit, and an amp circuit, all placed a few millimeters from the headphone's driver and internal cabling. This make it vulnerable to electromagnetic noises. 

- wireless transmissions are prone to radio interference. Wires are also prone to interference, but with wires it's much easier to get a better cable that have better shielding. With wireless, it's much harder to block the interference.

'audiophile grade quality' is a very vague noun. What's the range of 'audiophile grade' and what's the line to be crossed to be considered 'audiophile grade' there? It's really hard to tell. Believe it or not, some people call Beats as 'audiophile grade'

The basic concept is this:

- wireless connection can't transfer analog stream (as wires could), it can only transfer digital streams, in bits of 0 and 1

- because of that, the DAC and the amp of the headphone is built-in inside the cup itself. This causes many limitations, such as, you're stuck with the built-in DAC and amp set until you die (or until the headphone dies). Say someday you have extra cash, and you buy $1000 DAC + $2000 amp that generate 'heavenly' sounds. Well, bad news, they can't be used with that wireless headphone

- DAC and amp inside of course need a power source, and that's where the battery comes in. So together, you got a power circuit, a DAC circuit, and an amp circuit, all placed a few millimeters from the headphone's driver and internal cabling. This make it vulnerable to electromagnetic noises. 

- wireless transmissions are prone to radio interference. Wires are also prone to interference, but with wires it's much easier to get a better cable that have better shielding. With wireless, it's much harder to block the interference.

I agree with creatip.

And about "Audiophile grade", like I said "Depends on who you ask".

That's my point. With current technology there will always be some level of interference for wireless headphones, especially with the amount of conflicting wireless signals out there today. You will get a much "cleaner" signal on wired headphones. This will probably only matter to a very small group of people, but it's still a factor.

That's my point. With current technology there will always be some level of interference for wireless headphones, especially with the amount of conflicting wireless signals out there today. You will get a much "cleaner" signal on wired headphones. This will probably only matter to a very small group of people, but it's still a factor.

This is also situational though. I usually have 0 wireless devices besides my phone which is off when I'm home, only recently using a wireless mouse. at least for the RS 180's in my home, the signal is very clear and I don't get any hiss or hints of interference.

My experience with wireless headphones is a mixed one, I enjoy not having cables everywhere and I  love that I can just get up out of my chair with my headphones still on. One of the downsides is sound quality and if you're going from decent wired to a wireless you'll be able to notice the difference. I've only used 2 different wireless headphones and the first one being was the corsair vengeance 2000. I loved these headphones, they sounded pretty good, the wireless was good and they were very light and my ears would never hurt from wearing them. I used them for about a year until they stopped charging because the micro-USB connector was shorting out. I would have preferred a proprietary connector that would have lasted longer that micro USB. My second wireless headphones I bought was razer chimera 5.1. I purchased these because they didn't charge over USB which is the best features because the connector is just 4 gold connectors that connect when the headphones are put onto the charger. I had these headphones for over 2 years which is my longest lasting pair of headphones I ever owned. The issue is that they use AAA batteries which don't store as much charge as AA would but I guess that keep the weight of the headphones down. As for all those comments about headphones dying mid game, on my chimeras there is a warning for when they batteries are low so you can change them when it suits you and for the corsair vengeance 2000/2100 you can just quickly connect the USB cable and you can use them as they charge. 

My experience with wireless headphones is a mixed one, I enjoy not having cables everywhere and I  love that I can just get up out of my chair with my headphones still on. One of the downsides is sound quality and if you're going from decent wired to a wireless you'll be able to notice the difference. I've only used 2 different wireless headphones and the first one being was the corsair vengeance 2000. I loved these headphones, they sounded pretty good, the wireless was good and they were very light and my ears would never hurt from wearing them. I used them for about a year until they stopped charging because the micro-USB connector was shorting out. I would have preferred a proprietary connector that would have lasted longer that micro USB. My second wireless headphones I bought was razer chimera 5.1. I purchased these because they didn't charge over USB which is the best features because the connector is just 4 gold connectors that connect when the headphones are put onto the charger. I had these headphones for over 2 years which is my longest lasting pair of headphones I ever owned. The issue is that they use AAA batteries which don't store as much charge as AA would but I guess that keep the weight of the headphones down. As for all those comments about headphones dying mid game, on my chimeras there is a warning for when they batteries are low so you can change them when it suits you and for the corsair vengeance 2000/2100 you can just quickly connect the USB cable and you can use them as they charge. 

Both are "gaming" headsets, so what can you expect for sound quality? 

Well, that being said, I tried/auditioned the Harman Kardon bluetooth headphone, and I must say, it does have a decent sound. By decent I mean I can enjoy the sound, and it's certainly better sounding than some crappy wired ones. 

Also auditioned the Sony MDR-1R, and love the sound. The one I tried was a wired one, but they got a bluetooth version of it, which, even if it's inferior to the wired version, I'd imagine It'd still sound decent.

I bought a set of Steelseries Wireless H earlier this year and could not be happier with my purchase. The sound quality seems pretty good to me, but I'm by no means an audiophile. They seem to hold a charge for a decent time and they beep when there's about 20 minutes left. Gives you ample time to find a chance to swap out the battery pack (and it comes with two).