R9 290x Reference vs R9 290 Tri-X

askmax

So I kind of need some help, I have my first build coming up soon and im getting ready to purchase all the parts soon (within a month or so) and I saw a deal on overclockers.co.uk where a XFX R9 290x reference design is being sold at the same price of a R9 290 Sapphire Tri-X (270 pounds). So What I am wondering is if I will get a better deal and temperatures by buying the 290 Tri-X or buying the 290x and putting a kraken g10 on it with a vram heatsink.

Thanks!

I have the 290 TriX and love it. It is almost as fast as a 290X, a lot cheaper and very quiet for a card with that much heat output. If you get the 290X reference, you will pay much more, only get a little bit more performance and it will be very loud. If you put the g10 kraken on it, it will cost you much, much more, and saving that much money could mean a higher tier CPU or more RAM or an SSD, all of which will serve you better.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

In this case R9 290 Tri-X will be faster than R9 290x reference because that 290x reference will be thermal throttling and underclocking it self due to the bad cooler. Also Tri-X will be a lot more silent.

Get the Tri-X, the reference coolers on the 290 series are junk (Look nice though), they start to throttle.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Thanks everyone, I will get the R9 290 Tri-X.

People on here are very helpful :).

In this case R9 290 Tri-X will be faster than R9 290x reference because that 290x reference will be thermal throttling and underclocking it self due to the bad cooler. Also Tri-X will be a lot more silent.

The reference card performs well close enough to the tri-x albeit with more noise. The tri-x can maintain a bit higher performance overall cause the cooler is better but it's not earth shattering. Personally I think OCing is stupid but I am a silence whore so there's that. I always operate on the premise that if you want more performance buy a better GPU or get two of them.

290 Tri-X.....reference coolers are pretty noisy.  Tri-X will offer better cooling and noise reduction.  

Case: Silverstone SG09B Motherboard: MSI Z10 Morter M-ATX CPU: I5-6600K  Ram: Corsair LP 2400 DD4 16GB GPU: MSI RX 480 Storage: Seagate HDD Baracuda 2TB x2, Crucial M200 500GB SSD X2 (Raid 0)PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W w/PP05E Kit

"When to say :blink: WTF :blink: ....$2K rig only used for Minesweeper and Internet Checkers marathons...."

the reference design hawaii board trottle like crazy you will have the card running at 800mhz most of the time so yes the 290 with an third party cooler on it is a much better pick.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Due to the fact that they basically are the same card go fpr the 290 and do some mild oc.