Is it worth waiting for DDR4 motherboards to become mainstream (with stable prices)?

TAEHSAEN

Hey guys, I'm very interested in the DDR4 RAM that is coming out soon and I was wondering is it worth waiting for them to come out and offer stable prices?

Is it significantly better than DDR3 and is it worth waiting?

Hey guys, I'm very interested in the DDR4 RAM that is coming out soon and I was wondering is it worth waiting for them to come out and offer stable prices?

Is it significantly better than DDR3 and is it worth waiting?

Worth waiting vs what, buying an LGA 2011-3 platform now?

The performance difference between DDR3 and DDR4 isn't astronomical.

If you need LGA 2011-3 then buy LGA 2011-3, if not don't.

I wouldn't expect DDR4 prices to come down too much until it comes down to the mainstream platforms.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

It really depends, if you're doing content creation then yes. For gaming there's not really a huge benefit to being an early adopter. Prices will drop dramatically in the next year or two, and when new mainstream chipsets come out there will be more of a reason to upgrade. 

Worth waiting for ddr4? Doubt it.It's only benefitial on editing and such. It does nothing in gaming.

Worth waiting for newer generation processors which will support ddr4? Yes,unless you are talking exclusively for X99

It's too subjective to say because it depends on CPUs

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Not worth it, unless the newer consumer-grade CPU's (like the i5's and all that good jazz) are considerably more powerful than the current stuff and they cost roughly the same.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It is going to be a long time before prices come down and unless your rendering it wont help very much

Worth waiting vs what, buying an LGA 2011-3 platform now?

The performance difference between DDR3 and DDR4 isn't astronomical.

If you need LGA 2011-3 then buy LGA 2011-3, if not don't.

I wouldn't expect DDR4 prices to come down too much until it comes down to the mainstream platforms.

A lot of the big RAM makers are saying DDR4 will take a permanent sharp drop in December as supply rises.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

A lot of the big RAM makers are saying DDR4 will take a permanent sharp drop in December as supply rises.

That sounds pretty good. Any charts/reports/data to support this?

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

That sounds pretty good. Any charts/reports/data to support this?

Comments from G.Skill from the past few weeks. I know someone here has a link.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Comments from G.Skill from the past few weeks. I know someone here has a link.

That would really help towards me making that Ultra Table soon.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

It's better depending on what applications you run on your system but for most applications it will not make a big difference just get DDR3 its cheaper and will do just fine.

Thank you everyone for their replies. I'll keep looking but I guess I'll wait till December and see how the prices are.. I've waited this long a few more months won't kill me! ^_^

Keep in mind that you can't put DDR4 memory in a DDR3 compatible motherboard.

Thus far, the only platform that you can use DDR4 with is X99 (Intel's Socket 2011-3). Once the mainstream CPU's and motherboards start showing up with support for DDR4, then prices will go down significantly. Demand for DDR3 needs to fade away first.