Can modded Skyrim use more than 2GB of VRAM?

orangecat

I will be upgrading to a GTX 770 or whatever 800/900 series equivalent comes out and i want to know if Skyrim can use 4GB of VRAM. Currently I have 768MB and my heavily modded Skyrim always maxes out my VRAM and causes stuttering and other lag problems. I want to get a 4GB card but i don't know if Skyrim will be able to use all of the VRAM. i do whatever I can to save a few megabytes of VRAM so that means low res shadows playing at 720p and lowering some texture resolution options but I dont want to anymore.

By the way i basically play Skyrim 24/7 and I don't know of any other games you can mod that will use a ton of RAM except Skyrim.

ALSO i don't care if a 770 cant use all 4GB of VRAM because ill spend the tiny bit of extra money to double my VRAM even if it makes no benefit to my FPS i would rather have to much and not be able to use it than not enough, plus i want to 'future proof" my pc as much as I can because I haven't upgraded it in quite some time and I don;'t plan on doing so for like another 3-4 years.

ye

also take that ram and ovaclock it

on my 770 it was ez mode to get up to 8ghz

Error: 410

Yes, though it mainly depends on the amount of graphical mods you have added, such as 4k textures and such.

On my laptop which only had around 1gb of dedicated vram I doubt skyrim maxed it out and I had 70+ mods installed, that is until my laptop died a few days ago..

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I will be upgrading to a GTX 770 or whatever 800/900 series equivalent comes out and i want to know if Skyrim can use 4GB of VRAM. Currently I have 768MB and my heavily modded Skyrim always maxes out my VRAM and causes stuttering and other lag problems. I want to get a 4GB card but i don't know if Skyrim will be able to use all of the VRAM. i do whatever I can to save a few megabytes of VRAM so that means low res shadows playing at 720p and lowering some texture resolution options but I dont want to anymore.

By the way i basically play Skyrim 24/7 and I don't know of any other games you can mod that will use a ton of RAM except Skyrim.

ALSO i don't care if a 770 cant use all 4GB of VRAM because ill spend the tiny bit of extra money to double my VRAM even if it makes no benefit to my FPS i would rather have to much and not be able to use it than not enough, plus i want to 'future proof" my pc as much as I can because I haven't upgraded it in quite some time and I don;'t plan on doing so for like another 3-4 years.

Yeah, brb finding the memory expansion in the .ini

i'm running 2gb with a heavily modded game, some times i run into memory issues but its very rare 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

it can use 6gb, if you mod it to shit enough.

I'm talking VRAM not system ram and yea my Skyrim will use up nearly all 8GB of my system ram when I have been playing long enough.

Yes, though it mainly depends on the amount of graphical mods you have added, such as 4k textures and such.

I do like bumping up the texture res when i can.

i'm running 2gb with a heavily modded game, some times i run into memory issues but its very rare 

Does Skyrim run into stuttering issues on your 680?

Not bothered monitoring my VRAM usage yet, but i know i'm near or over 3GB VRAM. I have a shit-ton of high res textures (mainly 4k, rest is 2k), with 4k shadows etc.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Does Skyrim run into stuttering issues on your 680?

if you get some of the stutter fixes of the nexus you should be fine 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

my 2gb 760 starts to crash once I add more than 60 or so visual mods.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

I'm talking VRAM not system ram and yea my Skyrim will use up nearly all 8GB of my system ram when I have been playing long enough.

Yes, I was talking VRAM. you can use 6gb of vram modding to shit.

Diamond 5 in League :)

He is talking VRAM. And he's talking truth. Skyrim will fill up a 6GB 780 if you're a hardcore modder

"Rawr XD"

I stopped playing skyrim when SKSE stopped working for me and I was too lazy to figure out why.  Half my mods broke because of this.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Just checked then. Yepp, with I think 115 mods from Steam Workshop installed, I'm floating between 1900MB and Max Vram usage

also take that ram and ovaclock it

on my 770 it was ez mode to get up to 8ghz

I suspect this would help

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Yes, I was talking VRAM. you can use 6gb of vram modding to shit.

Other than that unreal guy with the epic Skyrim i didn't think it could get that crazy.

I stopped playing skyrim when SKSE stopped working for me and I was too lazy to figure out why.  Half my mods broke because of this.

That happened to me once and i think what happened was NMM overwrite one of skse scripts. I use MO now and I havent had 1 issue yet.

That happened to me once and i think what happened was NMM overwrite one of skse scripts. I use MO now and I havent had 1 issue yet.

MO?

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

I'm running around 87 mods on skyrim, a mixture of 4k and 2k visuals. Then an ENB on top, just to load a save file my vram usage jumps up to 2.3GB of the 3GB my GTX 780 has. Typically skyrim will crash easily, where other games would still run, if i try to push the memory overclock to much.

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz | ASUS P8Z77-V LX2 | 2x4GB kingston hyper-x genesis @1600MHz | Gigabyte windforce GTX 780 3xOC rev.2 | 240GB kingston v300 & 500GB seagate 7200rpm | 

Corsair GS600 |  1440p Dell U2515H & 1080p 60Hz tv/monitor | Asetek based AIO 120mm liquid cpu cooler

In my experience with a few mods mine was hovering around 2.3-2.6 so I would say yes.

But is it heavily modded Skyrim? Yes that's important to note. There are games that can be heavily modded but still take little effort to run.

i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H | G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB | Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 Ghz | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | Toshiba 7200rpm 3TB | Seasonic 660W Platinum | Corsair H100i

Logitech G400s | Ducky Shine III Cherry MX Brown