DARPA envisions tanks that dodge RPGs.. Check it out

nicehat

darpa-groundx02.jpg

original.jpg

DARPA is a step closer to creating tanks that are relevant to the 21st century. These tanks, dubbed GXV-T, by all measures are projected to be more nimble, agile and have less armor. The project aims to improve the survivability of ground-based armored fighting vehicles by increasing vehicle agility.

darpa-GXVT-10_Full.jpg

Vehicle agility involves the ability to autonomously avoid incoming threats, either by rapidly moving out of the way or re-configuring the vehicle so incoming threats have a low probability of hitting and penetrating—all without injuring the occupants in the process. The tanks are going to be worked on for the next 2 years so this is an early concept video for your pleasure. 

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/06/darpa-ground-x-video/?ncid=rss_truncated

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

I think a year or two ago the U.S. military developed a more agile and versatile armored vehicle. I don't remember what it was called but it's design resembled a dune buggy in a way.

It looks like something out of a halo game

Halo is cooler

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

That's cool that it can dodge projectiles, but I'm sure a high explosive detonation would damage suspension/wheels.

What about laser weapons though, can't really dodge something as fast as light.

But that limits the heaviness of the weaponry on board, throw a 105mm on that buggy and it will flip.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Kids these days it looks more like the Nod attack buggy than anything from Halo.

Yeah.

Definitely Nod.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

That's cool that it can dodge projectiles, but I'm sure a high explosive detonation would damage suspension/wheels.

What about laser weapons though, can't really dodge something as fast as light.

Make it faster than light. Problem solved.

It's almost a nod raider buggy xD Like some others have said in the thread already^^

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Here's a picture for comparison :

29446.jpg

Yep...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I thought they used tracks because it could handle most terrains better; so isn't this counter-intuitive?

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

Yeah most RPGs aren't good anymore, especially Japanese ones. I would avoid them too.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

looks pretty dumb

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

I thought they used tracks because it could handle most terrains better; so isn't this counter-intuitive?

it has tracks in one of the pictures

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

dodge RPG's? maybe..

dodge tank shells? no way at the distance shown in the video

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

it has tracks in one of the pictures

Yeah but even considering wheels over tracks seems short-sighted.

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2