GTX 770 Comes Close to HD 7970 Ghz Performance

The 770 comes close in terms of performance to the AMD flagship in a number of titles & scores some wins in some others, but the 7970 Ghz Edition remains the overall faster card by maintaining its lead in most games Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, Metro 2033, sleeping dogs, Hitman Absolution,Medal of Honor & even Nvidia's own Batman Arkham City.

770_7970.jpg

From the Inquirer : http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2271340/nvidias-geforce-gtx-770-comes-close-to-the-radeon-hd-7970-ghz-edition

Linus said that when you hear about "aggressive" or "surprising" pricing before a product launch you know the product will under-perform the expectations.
This was true for the FX 8150 & the 770 apparently.

Then why does Gtx 770 sli kill the Titan while cf 7970 lag a little behind?

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Then why does Gtx 770 sli kill the Titan while cf 7970 lag a little behind?

One reason is probably because crossfire has bigger framerating/microstutering issues than SLI right now.

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

well then ... so much for that 10% 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Fudzilla had an article saying it may be between 10 and 20 % faster than the 7970ghz. Guess we will find out for sure very soon.

I got a little worried when the news about voltage locking 600 series cards surfaced with the 680 launch way back, now it's obvious why they did it, they can just increase the voltages on the chips, give them higher clocks and sell them as 700 series products.
This is what the 680 should've been in the first place.

One reason is probably because crossfire has bigger framerating/microstutering issues than SLI right now.

Yeah fair enoigh point I guess. But still those Asian leaked benches I saw yesterday had the 770 in sli literally blow the Titan out of the water. Titan was like at 100fps while the 770s were at 160fps. Gotta wait for some real benchmarks though to be sure.

Yeah fair enoigh point I guess. But still those Asian leaked benches I saw yesterday had the 770 in sli literally blow the Titan out of the water. Titan was like at 100fps while the 770s were at 160fps. Gotta wait for some real benchmarks though to be sure.

690 kills Titan as well, Titan is an over-hyped over-priced chip, people should stop comparing other cards to it !

Back on topic, I'm actually shocked to see the 7970 establish such a large lead in Skyrim, didn't expect that.

690 kills Titan as well, Titan is an over-hyped over-priced chip, people should stop comparing other cards to it !

Back on topic, I'm actually shocked to see the 7970 establish such a large lead in Skyrim, didn't expect that.

Ok true true, but it's hard not to! In terms of these benches though, there isn't really any point in going green team on this one if the 770 is priced from what I've heard. 7970 is just too much of a good value for money to performance card, not to forget the games.

The 770 comes close in terms of performance to the AMD flagship

And here's the reason: "All games were run at 2560x1600 resolution".

The 770 will win every matchup at 1080p except in certain very AMD friendly games.

The 780 is the 1600p card and the Titan is the multi-monitor card. Thus we have three cards with their niche, testing the 770 at 2560x1600 against 7970 makes little sense and ignores it's target audience.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

The 770 will win every matchup at 1080p except in certain very AMD friendly games.

The 780 is the 1600p card and the Titan is the multi-monitor card. Thus we have three cards with their niche, testing the 770 at 2560x1600 against 7970 makes little sense and ignores it's target audience.

Those are pretty impressive numbers for the 7970 on 2560x1600, just goes to show that you don't need a 780 to play on high resolutions, a 7970 will do a great job.

Those are pretty impressive numbers for the 7970 on 2560x1600, just goes to show that you don't need a 780 to play on high resolutions, a 7970 will do a great job.

Indeed, that's very impressive ! I've been on the fence to upgrade to 2560x1440 or not, now I think I will definitely upgrade & grab me a 7970.

I didn't think that you could tell the difference between 2560x1440 vs 1080 in terms of quality in games, but after seeing the difference myself & games look absolutely stunning on 2560x1440 especially in games with 2k texture packs like Bioshock infinite, crysis, skyrim and many ohters and now seeing that I can drive a monitor of that caliber with a 7970, I'm very excited !

Completely agree with this the 770 is for high performance 1080p gaming and doesn't have the VRAM or bus width to compete well with the 7970 GHz at higher resolutions 

Not really surprising considering the 700 series is the exact same architecture as the 600 series and that the 770 is just an overclocked 680.

If nvidia were able to get high enough yields when the 600 series was released the titan would have been the 680 and so on.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

Completely agree with this the 770 is for high performance 1080p gaming and doesn't have the VRAM or bus width to compete well with the 7970 GHz at higher resolutions 

Something like a 660 ti or a 7870 tahiti le is perfect for 1080p. There is no need to spend more than 280$ for 1080p gaming.

Something like a 660 ti or a 7870 tahiti le is perfect for 1080p. There is no need to spend more than 280$ for 1080p gaming.

As of right now, if you can only see what's directly in front of your nose. However, do some Frapsing in Metro LL or Crysis 3 with those cards, go ahead.

Or buy a 770 and get both the headroom and Fraps-obsoleting Shadowplay feature.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

As of right now, if you can only see what's directly in front of your nose. However, do some Frapsing in Metro LL or Crysis 3 with those cards, go ahead.

Or buy a 770 and get both the headroom and Fraps-obsoleting Shadowplay feature.

I don't stream games and anyone who does already owns the equipment, I don't see this catching up quickly.

It is still not supported, nvidia says sometime in July and only 20 minutes at first. I don't get why some people are making a big fuss about this.

This could possibly change with driver optimizations in the future.

Meh I'll wait till it's released. Then will see better benchmarks and how it compares price wise, although leaks are pointing at a $400 price tag.

grrr I like my 1920x1200 monitor, but no benchmarks use it anymore *cries*

I agree, spending 400 dollars for a graphics card to game on 1080p is like paying 200$ to get into an amusement park and riding the kiddie ride.

I agree, spending 400 dollars for a graphics card to game on 1080p is like paying 200$ to get into an amusement park and riding the kiddie ride.

Hahaha, good point.

I don't stream games and anyone who does already owns the equipment, I don't see this catching up quickly.

It is still not supported, nvidia says sometime in July and only 20 minutes at first. I don't get why some people are making a big fuss about this.

People are making a big fuss about it because it's able to record compressed video without the huge performance loss associated with it in traditional capture software.

1118.strip.sunday.gif

You know full well that there are people who have bought the Titan for 1080p / 1200p gaming. It may be overkill now but it won't be in a year. Get off your high horse.