How to make Internet Explorer go away

Hello there LTT,

I was clicking around on my new PC earlier (this being the first time I've ever used Windows 8.1), and I discovered a way to almost entirely disable Internet Explorer. I'm not sure how many of you know how to do this, but I've never heard of it before and I spend a fair bit of time on the internet.

STEP 1:

Open up Control Panel. Make sure it's showing All Control Panel Items (it should either be on Large Icons or Small Icons - change this in the top-right hand corner). Go to Default Programs.

post-44301-0-46480300-1409956320_thumb.p

If you have StartIsBack (which is great btw), you can open the Default Programs window right from the Start Menu:

post-44301-0-46909100-1409956374_thumb.p

STEP 2: Click on "Set program access and computer defaults"

post-44301-0-29777700-1409956500_thumb.p

STEP 3: Click on the "Custom" drop-down menu, and uncheck the "Enable access to this program" box next to Internet Explorer. Click OK.

post-44301-0-66713400-1409956644_thumb.p

That's it! Just to prove to myself that IE was hidden away, never to be used again, I ran a quick search in the Start Menu:

post-44301-0-70145300-1409956735_thumb.p

Yep, it's gone.

Just to clarify, it's not uninstalled - I'm not sure if you can even uninstall IE - but it is basically gone forever. It won't open again at any point unless you go back and check the box (as detailed above) again. Hey, out of sight, out of mind, right?

DROGON: Intel i5-4690K @ 3.5 GHz /// MSI Z97 Gaming 5 /// Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB @ 1600MHz /// EVGA GTX 780 Classified /// Phanteks Enthoo Pro /// Crucial MX100 512GB SSD /// Corsair AX760i /// Corsair H105 /// Corsair Vengeance K70 /// Corsair M45 /// Dell Ultrasharp U2414H /// Build log: completed

I just forgot about it anyway, It's on my PC but not easily accessible, I need IE anyway for some school stuff.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Sweet, thanks. :D

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

I need IE8 for college gateway (fantastic) so I have to run XP in a VM.

And Battlelog doesn't work in my Chrome Canary or in Waterfox (f*ck you ea) so I use Internet Explorer 11. Which in all honesty isn't that bad. I also use the touchscreen one on my Laptop as it's a better experience.

I just forgot about it anyway, It's on my PC but not easily accessible, I need IE anyway for some school stuff.

I pretty much forgot about it too, but this way it will never come up. I like not seeing IE. It makes me angry :D

Sweet, thanks. :D

No problem :)

I need IE8 for college gateway (fantastic) so I have to run XP in a VM.

I know what you're getting at, my school is only just thinking about updating to IE10 from IE8. They're not even going to get the latest version xD

IE 11 is pretty good though...

Yeah but... it's IE

DROGON: Intel i5-4690K @ 3.5 GHz /// MSI Z97 Gaming 5 /// Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB @ 1600MHz /// EVGA GTX 780 Classified /// Phanteks Enthoo Pro /// Crucial MX100 512GB SSD /// Corsair AX760i /// Corsair H105 /// Corsair Vengeance K70 /// Corsair M45 /// Dell Ultrasharp U2414H /// Build log: completed

I pretty much forgot about it too, but this way it will never come up. I like not seeing IE. It makes me angry :D

No problem :)

I know what you're getting at, my school is only just thinking about updating to IE10 from IE8. They're not even going to get the latest version xD

Yeah but... it's IE

IE 11 is not IE 6...

It's a real internet browser now. Not malware net.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

IE 11 is pretty good, and it can do things other browsers can't do. There are services regarding networking that are actually functional and can be accessed for configuration thanks to IE.

There are a couple of neat tricks you can do with IE, that can help you access certain websites or upload files to a server in other ways. Also some software/websites do require IE to work.

My point this, this guide is completely pointless, having IE on your system won't make it any slower or anything; it's just there occupying a couple of MB as any other Windows program that can work as a tool. I don't see why anyone would want to follow this guide.

People joke about the browser and consider it as something bad; but these aren't the IE 6 days anymore. IE 11 has a lot going on, for some websites and applications it's actually one of the fastest browsers available thanks to the GPU acceleration feature.

IE 11 is not IE 6...

It's a real internet browser now. Not malware net.

But people install so much crap on it. Toolbars, bloatware, you name it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

But people install so much crap on it. Toolbars, bloatware, you name it.

IE with toolbars and extensions with Chrome

IE with toolbars and extensions with Chrome

What if somebody doesn't even have Chrome? Or Firefox?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

What if somebody doesn't even have Chrome? Or Firefox?

Then they are a OSX/Safari user? And don't give any fucks.

My point this, this guide is completely pointless. I don't see why anyone would want to follow this guide.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.

So, are people really telling me they actually like IE now? I thought everyone just used Chrome, or sometimes Firefox :(

So, are people really telling me they actually like IE now? I thought everyone just used Chrome, or sometimes Firefox :(

I think people tolerate IE now, because in terms of HTML5 support (and therefore website compatibility), it is pretty much on par with FF and Chrome. However, if you want addons then IE is completely useless.

It should be noted that if you remove IE, it will break quite a lot of programs that use a web frame to show content (they use IE 99% of the time). All you're doing is stopping it from showing up, which serves no purpose. Occasionally, it may turn out to be necessary to use Internet Exploder to access the web.

HTTP/2 203

What kind of school stuff?

I think people tolerate IE now, because in terms of HTML5 support (and therefore website compatibility), it is pretty much on par with FF and Chrome. However, if you want addons then IE is completely useless.

It should be noted that if you remove IE, it will break quite a lot of programs that use a web frame to show content (they use IE 99% of the time). All you're doing is stopping it from showing up, which serves no purpose. Occasionally, it may turn out to be necessary to use Internet Exploder to access the web.

Stopping it from showing up does serve a purpose - it won't show up. Yeah ok this is a pretty fucking stupid thread.

What kind of school stuff?

Maths the files i need only work inside IE, I know stupid  but hey .

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500