Nvidia Sues Qualcomm and Samsung

imthewalrus

The complaint filed with the ITC seeks an injunction against Samsung with a goal of blocking at least 12 of Samsung's devices including the latest Galaxy S5, Note 4 and Note Edge, until the South Korean giant agrees on paying licensing fees. The devices which it has asked the ITC to block are those which contain Qualcomm's Adreno, ARM's Mali or Imagination's PowerVR graphic chips."Instead of developing its own graphics processing technology, Samsung purchases and uses Qualcomm’s infringing processors and GPUs, as well as other processors and GPUs that infringe the claims of the asserted patents," Nvidia said in its Delaware filing.Nvidia's foundational invention, the GPU, which puts onto a single chip all the functions necessary to process graphics and light up screens

Nvidia claims that at least seven of its patents have been infringed, including the following:

• Nvidia's foundational invention, the GPU, which puts onto a single chip all the functions necessary to process graphics and light up screens
  • It's invention of programmable shading, which allows non-experts to program sophisticated graphics
  • The invention of unified shaders, which allow every processing unit in the GPU to be used for different purposes
  • The invention of multithreaded parallel processing in GPUs, which enables processing to occur concurrently on separate threads while accessing the same memory and other resources.

Nvidia is desperately trying to make up for its  losses with the Titan z? If they can sue people for putting all the functions that are necessary to light up a screen imagine who they will sue next.

Source: http://hexus.net/business/news/legal/74317-nvidia-sues-qualcomm-samsung-graphics-patents/

Meh, that's what you get for breaking patents. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

companies HAVE to call these out or they will lose the patents(from what i know) which would be a disaster.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Much repost! (Don't feel like finding the link right now, I might later)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Nvidia is desperately trying to make up for its  losses with the Titan z? If they can sue people for putting all the functions that are necessary to light up a screen imagine who they will sue next.

Omg can people shut up about the titan? They sold enough. It's for content creation. The whole launch event had almost nothing to do with gaming.

Btw this is a repost.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Omg can people shut up about the titan? They sold enough. It's for content creation. The whole launch event had almost nothing to do with gaming.

Btw this is a repost.

Before they delete it, the Tesla K1 is for content creation, the titan was desperately targeted for gamers, if not look at their website. 

Before they delete it, the Tesla K1 is for content creation, the titan was desperately targeted for gamers, if not look at their website. 

Dispite all of that. It's still more content creation.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Nvidia is desperately trying to make up for its  losses with the Titan z?

You obviously have no idea who the titan z was for, and the fact that they did not 'loose' anything with the titan z.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You obviously have no idea who the titan z was for, and the fact that they did not 'loose' anything with the titan z.

Dispite all of that. It's still more content creation.

If you were a content creator I am pretty sure you wouldn't even consider a gaming graphics card over a workstation card like the quadro. I am not hating on Nvidia, I am simply saying that it was a pretty stupid idea to release a gaming graphics card at that price range. If you think they haven't lost any money, then you are probably right, I was just exaggerating. 

If you still believe that Nvidia markets this card for content creation, please look at the image below. 

post-61430-0-88790600-1409954773.png

If you were a content creator I am pretty sure you wouldn't even consider a gaming graphics card over a workstation card like the quadro. I am not hating on Nvidia, I am simply saying that it was a pretty stupid idea to release a gaming graphics card at that price range. If you think they haven't lost any money, then you are probably right, I was just exaggerating. 

If you still believe that Nvidia markets this card for content creation, please look at the image below. 

it is a GPU orientated to content creation, the machine developers works on their games aren't filled with quadros they are filling with the same kind of GPU the end user would have, because of several reasons, i'm sure they have quadros and firepros to but stashed in a server when they can offload stuff that does need that kind of power like rendering animations and CGI trailers

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I'm a content creator,maxwell is still a better architecture for GpGPU floating point performance than 680 or a k4000 so until they have quadro cards for maxwell; No where in game will a gaming card ever need Double precision on a titan Z unless it's creation. Many people with deep pockets will be looking at those pages. while Developers and content creations would not look on those pages for what they're looking for, they go to different to pages.

Computing enthusiast. 

• Nvidia's foundational invention, the GPU, which puts onto a single chip all the functions necessary to process graphics and light up screens

Since when? Nvidia didn't "invent" nothing. There was plenty GPU's prior to Nvidia's. Also the last bit is incorrect. The GPU doesn't light up the screen. LCD's or AMOLED are lit up by a light source the last time I checked.

Nvidia is pulling stuff out their ass quite clearly.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

it is a GPU orientated to content creation, the machine developers works on their games aren't filled with quadros they are filling with the same kind of GPU the end user would have, because of several reasons, i'm sure they have quadros and firepros to but stashed in a server when they can offload stuff that does need that kind of power like rendering animations and CGI trailers

I dont know many end users that spend the down payment for a car on a graphics card. If you are a game developer it would be within reason to test your games with the most common graphics cards such as the 780 ti or r9 290x.