Dt-770 pro not loud enough :(

Yasukes
Go to solution Solved by Ardacer,

That's odd. It SHOULD be able to power it up properly, as s4 can support high load impedance. I have a 250 Ohm version so yeah can't test it for you, but there is, sort of a solution maybe here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/655546/samsung-galaxy-s-4/30

Apparently it's a software problem.

edit: link to the solution here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2224240

note: edit for correct info, thx guys

Hi, so i recently purchased a pair of DT-770 pro the 32ohms version,i really like the way they sound and all but they are not loud enough :( i plug it in my Galaxy S4 Using google play music, I also tryed with a Nexus 5 same thing they are not loud enough, I don't own an Ipod but i do have an Ipad i haven't tryed yet. Does that mean these can't be fully powered by phones ? :( do i need a portable amp ? Not sure what to do ....

If they're not loud enough get an amp.

Yeah, but I wouldn't have thought that a 32ohm pair of headphones would bring a modern smartphone to it's knees

Portable amps are actually really small these days so I'd just get one even if your 770's weren't loud enough because an amp really makes a difference when using good headphones with mobile devices.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Are you sure the volume is up all the way? Also, maybe check bass settings if you can.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

That's odd. It SHOULD be able to power it up properly, as s4 can support high load impedance. I have a 250 Ohm version so yeah can't test it for you, but there is, sort of a solution maybe here:

edit: link to the solution here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2224240

note: edit for correct info, thx guys

I just tested the only good pair of 32 Ohm headphones I own, my ATH-M50s, they peak at 92db on my note 3.  The Beyers have less sensitivity so they are probably around 85-89 db.  Both measurements would fall under the "too loud" category.  My Beyer DT990 250 Ohm hits 74db btw, and I find that loud enough personally but some people prefer louder.

Have you had your hearing checked recently?

but yes, you should either try listening to your music a bit softer or get an amp.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

^

that

never understood the need to have airplanes on your ears all the time, you gonna get deaf

Just to add,

I tested my 250 ohm version on lumia 1520.

With max volume it still is reasonably loud (i can sense my stapedius and tensor tympani - that bad feeling in your ear when loud music spikes)

so yeah. Try that fix, see if it works 

Thanks for the reply i am not home atm but ill try the fix as soon as i get there. I have good hearing.... if i have the volume on max i can hear ppl talk around me .... it might be with the phone ill try the fix when i get home and give you guys a follow-up

That's odd. It SHOULD be able to power it up properly, as s4 has high output impedance.

I don't think output impedance and the driving power of an amp are necessarily related.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

No? I'm sorry if I misled someone, from my limmited experience with these things I thought it to be the case. Would appreciate shedding some light on the matter

No? I'm sorry if I misled someone, from my limmited experience with these things I thought it to be the case. Would appreciate shedding some light on the matter

No problem.

Output impedance is something you don't want. When it's too high, it will alter the sound. (How susceptible a headphone is to the effects of too high output impedance typically depends on the impedance of the headphones. The higher it is, the higher the output impedance you can get away with without problems. That is how output impedance and the impedance of the headphone are related AFAIK.) In general we want output impedance to be as low as possible. Take the Objective for example. Its output impedance is very, very low, yet it is a very powerful amp. I think we look at stuff like voltage and current the amp can deliver instead of output impedance.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

'output impedance' as you wrote it, is the fixed resistance value of an amp's output, regardless of the load resistance. The value stays the same, even if there aren't any load resistance at all. The lower the output impedance, the better the amp is to drive headphones, because of the damping factor.

'output impedance' as you wrote it, is the fixed resistance value of an amp's output, regardless of the load resistance. The value stays the same, even if there aren't any load resistance at all. The lower the output impedance, the better the amp is to drive headphones, because of the damping factor.

Yeah that makes sense, that's what I thought of it too. However everyone seems to use the term "output impedance" as the "load impedance", if I figured the context correctly. So I assumed that's in jargon for load

I think we look at stuff like voltage and current the amp can deliver instead of output impedance.

I think it's 'packaged' as 'power' or 'wattage', how many max watt of electricity power the amp can deliver. Put simply, P = V x I, or Watt = Volt x Ampere. A 1000 mW amp with max voltage of 20V means it can deliver a current of up to 50mA

No problem.

Output impedance is something you don't want. When it's too high, it will alter the sound. (How susceptible a headphone is to the effects of too high output impedance typically depends on the impedance of the headphones. The higher it is, the higher the output impedance you can get away with without problems. That is how output impedance and the impedance of the headphone are related AFAIK.) In general we want output impedance to be as low as possible. Take the Objective for example. Its output impedance is very, very low, yet it is a very powerful amp. I think we look at stuff like voltage and current the amp can deliver instead of output impedance.

Thx :)

Yeah, but I wouldn't have thought that a 32ohm pair of headphones would bring a modern smartphone to it's knees

Headphone sensitivity?

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Headphone sensitivity?

Shouldn't be a problem. From the data sheet, 96dB (assumed per 1 mW), quite sensitive. I'd still guess it's the firmware problem, like said above.

Probably high output impedance on the phone's amp.... Which, unlike stated above, causes a drop in volume. Ipads generally have low output impedances, so it should sound better on that. 

I just tested the only good pair of 32 Ohm headphones I own, my ATH-M50s, they peak at 92db on my note 3.

But what's the output impedance on your note 3? OP's devices might be struggling because of that.

Probably high output impedance on the phone's amp.... Which, unlike stated above, causes a drop in volume.

Yesssssss. My HTC One struggles with my MOE's.

But what's the output impedance on your note 3? OP's devices might be struggling because of that.

Note2 had 0.9ohm. Can't find the specs of the 3 though..

http://en.goldenears.net/17280

Couldn't be too much worse than my phone's 10ohm output impedance.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

That's odd. It SHOULD be able to power it up properly, as s4 has high output impedance. I have a 250 Ohm version so yeah can't test it for you, but there is, sort of a solution maybe here:

note: didn't try it myself

This Solved it ,its even too loud now on max volume now but at least now i have extra head room i don't know why they are messing withthe software like that but it sux, anyway thanks alot!