"Unreal Engine 4 is now free for educators"

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-04-unreal-engine-4-is-now-free-for-educators?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

In a shocking move Epic has decided to release Unreal Engine 4 to schools and universities for free.

"This new initiative sets up the academic community to take advantage of everything game engine technology has to offer and be a part of game development in its purest form," the developer said in its announcement, where it touted Unreal Engine 4 as "the most accessible, beginner-friendly version of the engine ever created."

Reading the fine print on the FAQ, it appears that students will have to sign up for a personal subscription if they want to release a commercial product. [Editor's note: Epic has since issued the following correction: Students can release commercial product. They don't have to worry with the $19 subscription fee, and pay the five per cent royalty once they exceed $3000 in revenue per game per quarter.]

I honestly was not expecting this from Epic. So now colleges and universities don't even have to worry about paying for those Unreal Engine licenses. All they have to do is fill out a small amount of information, and Epic will give them the licenses. That's really awesome of them. Not only that, but students using the Unreal Engine through their college/university will be able to come out with commercial products!

Epic is even willing to waive the subscription fee and the 5% royalty once their product exceeds $3,000 in revenue. If that's not one awesome company, I don't know what is. 

COMIC SANS

I thought this was already a thing with the previous Unreal?

This is a really smart move though, having their engine be the go-to option for education will almost guarantee usage when those students graduate.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

That's pretty cool.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

My thread was posted just a minute before his thread though. 

;)

He was close though, got to give it to them.

OT: I think this is a great idea. MY school would never teach animation ect, because of the licencing costs and know that students wouldn't be able to afford the software for home use. So good move Epic. Some of my most favorite games were made in the Unreal Engine, *cough, cough* Batman *cough, cough*. Man I got to get this cough seen to by a Doctor.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)