8 core Processors - Intel vs AMD

So guys i was just watching Linus' latest video and showing off the new eight core cpu's and stuff.

How come AMD can make an 8 core cpu the FX 8320 for 170 (AUD) and intel are only now making an 8 core cpu for like 6+ times the amount for 1200 (AUD)?

Why dont intel make 8 core cpu's  or even 6 core cpu's for a lot cheaper? Hmmmmmm very curious.

Thanks Guys :)

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4 Ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4gb @ 1866Mhz GPU: GTX 780 Ti Case: Corsair 750D HDD: Kingston 120gb, WD 500GB & WD 1tb PSU: Corsair Rm 750w with Blue Sleeved Cables Monitors: Acer 24", Acer 21", Samsung 18" CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK Pro Mouse: Razer Death Adder Speakers: Edifer 5.1 Surround Sound Microphone: Blue Yeti

PcPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/LozzaNewport/saved/4dT0

So guys i was just watching Linus' latest video and showing off the new eight core cpu's and stuff.

How come AMD can make an 8 core cpu the FX 8320 for 170 (AUD) and intel are only now making an 8 core cpu for like 6+ times the amount for 1200 (AUD)?

Why dont intel make 8 core cpu's  or even 6 core cpu's for a lot cheaper? Hmmmmmm very curious.

The performance of the 8 core AMD can't even compare to the Intel 8 core.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

The performance of the 8 core AMD can't even compare to the Intel 8 core.

Yea but comparing amd's 8 core to a 170 ish intel, the amd would own....

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4 Ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4gb @ 1866Mhz GPU: GTX 780 Ti Case: Corsair 750D HDD: Kingston 120gb, WD 500GB & WD 1tb PSU: Corsair Rm 750w with Blue Sleeved Cables Monitors: Acer 24", Acer 21", Samsung 18" CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK Pro Mouse: Razer Death Adder Speakers: Edifer 5.1 Surround Sound Microphone: Blue Yeti

PcPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/LozzaNewport/saved/4dT0

You sure about that?

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Yes they do both have '8 cores' but not all cores are made equally and they sure don't perform the same.
Look at benchmarks, look at performance tests, and you will start to understand why those CPUs cost more.

dude.  The 8 core AMD cpus aren't even up to the 4790k, or even 4690k in terms of overall performance.  So, the Intel 8 core easily beats it.  

Not saying AMD cpus are bad, because they aren't.  I just don't think AMDs goal is to compete with Intel anymore. 

more features on intel, better performance (even on the 6 core)  and faster updates to software

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

You sure about that?

you are correct AMD's 8 "core" cpus cant even compete with intels quad cores on most of the tasks.(hell even dual core intel beats them on time to time)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Because a 4 core Intel can beat an 8 core AMD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Not really, in games the intel would win and trade blows in everything else. AMD's cores are much less powerful than intel cores, that's by design, doesn't mean it can compare to an intel 8-core. Maybe the intel 8-core isn't worth 6 times as much, but when you want the top of the line you should be ready to pay a premium.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

CPUs are complicated.... it's not just core count and clock frequencies..  you simply can't compare numbers like that.

No, it wouldn't. AMD's processors are so anemic when it comes to performance and design that's the reason they're cheap. It's just a brute force design that doesn't yield a lot of performance. Hands down any time of the day an Intel CPU would whoop an AMD CPU in raw power.

some quad cores from intel are beating the crap of amd's octa-cores

Intel chips are cheaper to manufacture than AMD. They have smaller die sizes.

The difference is Intel invest a lot more into R&D than AMD, so you pay for that.

We won't see 8 cores from Intel at $200 for a long time.

Besides, if an Intel quad core is comparable to an AMD 8 core in multithreaded scenarios. Why would they need to?

Intel 4 cores beat the crap out of the AMD 8 cores, and they do it on less power and less heat produced. 

dude.  The 8 core AMD cpus aren't even up to the 4790k, or even 4690k in terms of overall performance.  So, the Intel 8 core easily beats it.  

Not saying AMD cpus are bad, because they aren't.  I just don't think AMDs goal is to compete with Intel anymore. 

AMD said a few years back that they aren't going to be competing with Intel, until 2015/2016 :)

Intel chips are cheaper to manufacture than AMD. They have smaller die sizes.

The difference is Intel invest a lot more into R&D than AMD, so you pay for that.

We won't see 8 cores from Intel at $200 for a long time.

Besides, if an Intel quad core is comparable to an AMD 8 core in multithreaded scenarios. Why would they need to?

Intel chips are not cheaper than AMD chips, since they employ a much higher manufacturing process and a stricter Quality Control. In addition, each chip contains higher quality silicone and more components :P

They probably cost the same to make >.>

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Intels 8- coe has 16 threads. FX has only 8 threads... AMDs architecture is several nm bigger than intels. Thats reason why old i7s quads are not as good as latest quads.

All who doubt latest Fx and think it is much worse than latest i5, just wait for Logan's (tek syndicate) upcoming comparison video :)

Intel is about performance (high cost) and Amd is about budget (performance per dollar) ;)

Also Amd focused on their APUs (hence why intel got far ahead and can charge $1000 for cpu due to lack of competition). Amd only adds more mhz to their cpus so 0 progress in architecture :( however new 8370e has lower power consumption.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Intel chips are not cheaper than AMD chips, since they employ a much higher manufacturing process and a stricter Quality Control. In addition, each chip contains higher quality silicone and more components :P

They probably cost the same to make >.>

The physical chip (silicone) costs less to make. Less silicone is used.

AMD FX 8-cores are not actually 8 cores*. There have 8 Integer units but only 4 floating point units. Intel cores are not separated like this, possessing 8 each.

AMD FX chips are much lower instructions per clock (IPC) - an FX chip vs. any Intel chip, even a Pentium, if they are the same frequency the Intel is stronger per-core.

There are other differences, which have been mentioned above, so I won't bother with that.

*This also goes for 6-cores which are really 6/3.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

AMD FX 8-cores are not actually 8 cores*. There have 8 Integer units but only 4 floating point units. Intel cores are not separated like this, possessing 8 each.

AMD FX chips are much lower instructions per clock (IPC) - an FX chip vs. any Intel chip, even a Pentium, if they are the same frequency the Intel is stronger per-core.

There are other differences, which have been mentioned above, so I won't bother with that.

*This also goes for 6-cores which are really 6/3.

...and for the AMD ''quad core'' from the piledriver of bulldozer architecture (FX-4100, FX-4300) which are in fact dual cores (only 2 FPU...slow FPU btw..)

Was the OP trolling or really just miss-informed? at least i'm glad this hasnt turned into a shit storm of AMD fanboys defending the crap out of the slow FX chips...like i used to do LOL :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Intels 8- coe has 16 threads. FX has only 8 threads... AMDs architecture is several nm bigger than intels. Thats reason why old i7s quads are not as good as latest quads.

All who doubt latest Fx is worse than latest i5, just wait for Logan's (tek syndicate) upcoming comparison video :)

Intel is about performance and Amd is about budget ;)

Also Amd focused on their APUs (hence why intel got far ahead and can charge $1000 for cpu due to lack of competition). Amd only adds more mhz to their cpus so 0 progress in architecture :( however new 8370e has lower power consumption.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-vs-AMD-FX-8320 

untitled_zpsa4b758d7.png

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

...and for the AMD ''quad core'' from the piledriver of bulldozer architecture (FX-4100, FX-4300) which are in fact dual cores (only 2 FPU...slow FPU btw..)

Was the OP trolling or really just miss-informed? at least i'm glad this hasnt turned into a shit storm of AMD fanboys defending the crap out of the slow FX chips...like i used to do LOL :P

Guess I'm gonna have to be that fanboy.......JKJKJK

Well since I've only used pentiums and an E5500 from intel, the FX I have, for me, is just what I needed; and when I purchased it, it was the best I could get for the price :P

Want to get an X5650 but also want to see what AMD brings out in 2015/2016.... :D

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

i got an fx6300, it performs good enough with decent OC for my desktop, even though i got an 4700mq in laptop, which actually scores better at benches, less than half power consumption and in a laptop... 

it does overclock very well, but looking at amd offering, i can't help but feel they're so cheap literally because they manufacture a single die and sort them out in the quality control by stability/defective cores etc. there's little difference between the early fx and the new ones they just announced as core performance is pretty much same, only clocked higher.

it is joy to play overclocking my amd chip tho...

Thats what I mean, intel is overpriced for the performance it delivers over amd. But I think I wrote one sentence incorrectly, have to edit it.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Thats what I mean, intel is overpriced for the performance it delivers over amd. But I think I wrote one sentence incorrectly, have to edit it.

Not really. The Intel 4670K is £163 where as the FX is £103. But Intel costs more because they mpd their CPUs to a higher standard.

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod