Is this considered a bad practice?

P1X3

If I remember correctly, my professor mentioned something about avoiding anonymous arrays. Problem is I don't remember if we were using Java or C++.

byte* EXTRAMSGS[] = {  (byte[]){ 0x3F, 0x05, 0x00, 0x0C, 0x52, 0x01 },          // OpenWindowFrontDriver	// Extra  (byte[]){ 0x3F, 0x06, 0x00, 0x0C, 0x01, 0x31, 0x01 },    // FoldInDriverMirror  (byte[]){ 0x3F, 0x06, 0x00, 0x0C, 0x01, 0x30, 0x01 },    // FoldOutDriverMirror};void sendBusMessage(byte data[]){  byte checksum = 0x00;  byte length = (sizeof(data)/sizeof(byte));	  for (int i =0; i < length; i++)    checksum ^= data[i];		  KBUS.write(data, length);  KBUS.write(checksum);}int msgId = (data & 0b00111111);sendBusMessage(EXTRAMSGS[msgId]);

Edit: Sorry, I ended up cutting out the rest of the post by accident. What I am trying to accomplish is array of pointers to byte arrays. I considered 2D array, but byte arrays aren't of equal length.

The above posted code, I haven't actually tested it, but I think it should work, in theory... I haven't touched anything C/C++ related in over a year. Java makes me lazy :\

From what I can see, my personal opinion is that you are all good.

As a note, I am not really sure that really is an anonymous array...as you can easily re-access the arrays *as they are part of the other array*

A more classical example of an anonymous array, which I would say would be a bad practice would be this

sendBusMessage((byte[]){ 0x3F, 0x05, 0x00, 0x0C, 0x52, 0x01 });

But given that you have set the arrays to a variable, they really aren't classified as anonymous and I would say it is good....the main reason against anonymous arrays would likely be that they are not really readable and not as easy to change *if you are working with a large program*

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

byte length = (sizeof(data)/sizeof(byte));

this won't work: sizeof(data) will equal sizeof(byte*) because the array size information gets lost when you pass through the pointer array

arrays store the number of elements, pointers don't