Looking to upgrade my mobile audio solution.

Purple Spy

So my current home setup is sennheiser HD 650s through an essence STX with pretty much all FLAC files. However my current mobile setup is my sennheiser HD 650s through a beat up galaxy S3, with pretty much all FLAC files.

So I'm faced with a quality and storage problem. What would you guys recommend for a mobile setup. Seperate mobile player + mobile amp is not a problem. I'm just not sure what to buy.

sansa clip + is a good PMP.  Especially with a nice microSD card and rockbox.

I love my etymotics er-4p/ts, but I'm not sure what your price target is.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Price isnt a big issue, would probably be willing to spend up to $300-400 for something with a nice dac and powerful amp that can rock higher impedence cans.

Maybe one of HiFiMan's DAP's: http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=90

http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=98

Or you could wait for the Astell&Kern AK100.

iBasso's and Colorfly's DAP's are already out of your budget range so don't bother with them.

If you just want a portable DAC/AMP there are loads of choices:

ALO

NuForce

V-MODA

FiiO

Cypher Labs

Fostex

It is really hard to recommend ONE as many of them are exceptionally good.

Been checking out the ak100. sounds pretty damn good, the double microsd sounds absolutely glorious as i have some spares that would let me carry just about as much music as i want.

And dont mind the budget thing. if you have something that you think is worth it at higher price im more than willing to jump (hell i almost ended up going with hd800s >_>)

Ediiiiiit - - -

I have been doing a bit of searching and reading of reviews and i'm almost completely sold on the colorfly c4. Anyone have any last minute recommendations for anything else i should check out or anything that might change my mind?

for hd650's I'd just go e17 for a portable amp/desktop dac and dock it in an e9 for a desktop amp.

Also look into the fiio x3.

It was canceled but then I think brought back, and had a TON of features.

I was ready to buy one around the time it got cancelled.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

The AK100/120 looks beautiful  :wub:

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

The AK100/120 looks beautiful  :wub:

>The AK120 provides a true dual-mono audio output, completely independent left and right audio channels that provide wider dynamic range and broader soundstage.

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_issues/The_Audio_Critic_21_r.pdf (page 10)

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

>The AK120 provides a true dual-mono audio output, completely independent left and right audio channels that provide wider dynamic range and broader soundstage.

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_issues/The_Audio_Critic_21_r.pdf (page 10)

Not sure what your'e getting at....?

Not sure what your'e getting at....?

That quote from the website is a good example of what that cartoon was making fun of.  Dual mono might work for power amplifiers, but for a portable amp, it's just silly.  In audio, you'll see a lot of marketing based around buzzwords, or features audiophiles expect to see on their products, even if they don't really matter on that particular product.  Like the "square conductor" in the cartoon, it doesn't matter.

That quote from the website is a good example of what that cartoon was making fun of.  Dual mono might work for power amplifiers, but for a portable amp, it's just silly.  In audio, you'll see a lot of marketing based around buzzwords, or features audiophiles expect to see on their products, even if they don't really matter on that particular product.  Like the "square conductor" in the cartoon, it doesn't matter.

Right, but the only mention of dual mono in that magazine was about the Krell KRC-2, and wasn't about dual mono being silly, so I was just wondering how you came to the conclusion that dual mono is silly under the circumstances of the AK100/120...

Right, but the only mention of dual mono in that magazine was about the Krell KRC-2, and wasn't about dual mono being silly, so I was just wondering how you came to the conclusion that dual mono is silly under the circumstances of the AK100/120...

page 10 has the cartoon, which is what I was talking about. 

http://www.astellnkern.com/

this is what I quoted, by the picture of the amp.  Is this not the one you were talking about?

page 10 has the cartoon, which is what I was talking about. 

http://www.astellnkern.com/

this is what I quoted, by the picture of the amp.  Is this not the one you were talking about?

I've read the cartoon, find it hilarious and agree to the point within. I've read what you quoted by the picture of the amp.

But how does that cartoon have any relevance to Astell & Kern's claim of "a true dual-mono audio output ... provide[s a] wider dynamic range and broader soundstage."?

You've said that dual-mono audio on a portable audio product is "silly" but I've yet to see any evidence to falsify Astell & Kern's claims. And don't get me wrong - I am all for debunking audiophile myths. :)

I've read the cartoon, find it hilarious and agree to the point within. I've read what you quoted by the picture of the amp.

But how does that cartoon have any relevance to Astell & Kern's claim of "a true dual-mono audio output ... provide[s a] wider dynamic range and broader soundstage."?

You've said that dual-mono audio on a portable audio product is "silly" but I've yet to see any evidence to falsify Astell & Kern's claims. And don't get me wrong - I am all for debunking audiophile myths. :)

They are claiming that splitting the channels improves the "dyanamic range and the soundstage" by reducing crosstalk.  This is true in some case in power amplifiers, like the Krell mentioned in that article.  This is NOT an issue for a portable amplifier.  A and K using this marketing point is merely the act of hitting a "buzzword" that a prospective audiophile purchaser might like to hear.  The claim is not necessarily false, but it's not true that this feature will improve the audio quality of the amp, which is what they're implying.  It's like saying my fancy G700 mouse will let you kill more people in Counter Strike.  It's not false, but it's really a stretch to assume that the mouse alone will improve your game.

So basically you're mad that they're advertising a main feature of their amp?  <_<

mad? no.  Amused? very.