AMD a Decent Option Again?

Dont be mistaken the cores on AMD cpu's are very slow regarldess of the clock speed and in applications that require fast core processing (IE video games) the AMD chips lag behind quite a lot even at 5ghz. (take it from a guy who upgraded from a very good FX-8320 that was clocked at 4.6ghz daily and still was getting the GTX 780 bottlenecked by tha slow monsta)

For video editing, 3d rendering, encoding, compression...things of that nature, the FX was a beast for the price...if you mainly do gaming IMHO even a core i3 can be a better pick depending on the games you play.

Even an i3? Screw that OC'd Pentium to 4.7Ghz+ is the way to go. LOL 

Even an i3? Screw that OC'd Pentium to 4.7Ghz+ is the way to go. LOL 

as i said IT DEPEND on the game, for older games (or older technologies game engine) like most MMO's, RTS, RPG's, indie games yes a core i3 is better but for more modern games like BF4, Crysis 3 farcry 3 or watchdogs for example an FX 8 core is better than an i3...and BTW an i3 is better than a pentium even at 4.7ghz except once again for the more single-threaded games out there (MMO's, RTS, RPG's, indie games...old games.)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

as i said IT DEPEND on the game, for older games (or older technologies game engine) like most MMO's, RTS, RPG's, indie games yes a core i3 is better but for more modern games like BF4, Crysis 3 farcry 3 or watchdogs for example an FX 8 core is better than an i3...and BTW an i3 is better than a pentium even at 4.7ghz except once again for the more single-threaded games out there (MMO's, RTS, RPG's, indie games...old games.)

i3 is very similar to a pentium g3258 at 4.5ghz even in games that scales with core number such as battlefield4.

And that is a cpu almost twice as much as g3258.

Pentium g3258 can be overclocked further than that.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

i3 is very similar to a pentium g3258 at 4.5ghz even in games that scales with core number such as battlefield4.

And that is a cpu almost twice as much as g3258.

Pentium g3258 can be overclocked further than that.

Linus's graphs showed the Pentium was actually close to an i5/i7 in gaming at 4.7Ghz when paired with a good GPU...sooo just sayin'. Sure it depends on the game, but for like what? 70ish dollars? The Pentium is a steal for cheaper budgets. 

Linus's graphs showed the Pentium was actually close to an i5/i7 in gaming at 4.7Ghz when paired with a good GPU...sooo just sayin'. Sure it depends on the game, but for like what? 70ish dollars? The Pentium is a steal for cheaper budgets.

Which is why my newest pc is using it at 4.7ghz right now.

Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

-snip

You don't seemed biased at all... But yeah due to testing  and maths I belive the difference in 8350(WHEN OC'ed) and 4770(obviously at stock) It'd take nearly 14 years for me to make up the price difference and I build whole new systems more than once a year and usually give away old ones as gifts or reuse them

/snip

I know plenty of people who just buy ~$700 rigs every year or two with no upgrades I actuallydon't know many people who upgrade I know I personally avoid it; if I need more performance I'd rather buy a whole new rig than deal with hassles of just upgrading and some don't have much of an upgrade path anyway unless I've got an extreme edtion or highend xeon I'm just gonna build and replace; And you're the one who implied budget meant cheap saying "AMD is only good for budget builds" (not exact quote paraphrasing partially forgot to quote that in advance can't as I'm not on 1st page atm) you implied it as meaning cheap with the way you phrased it....And the pentium K is overhyped IMO; and also atleast here where I am(not specified for personal reasons) the FX 8350(and the 8320 costs less and the 8120 EVEN less) is priced as cheaply as some i3s and I know this is true in some other areas I always hear people say "Just pay X more and get an i5"  >.< people are comparing the wrong chips if you have to pay more for one...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

You don't seemed biased at all... But yeah due to testing  and maths I belive the difference in 8350(WHEN OC'ed) and 4770(obviously at stock) It'd take nearly 14 years for me to make up the price difference and I build whole new systems more than once a year and usually give away old ones as gifts or reuse them

I know plenty of people who just buy ~$700 rigs every year or two with no upgrades I actuallydon't know many people who upgrade I know I personally avoid it; if I need more performance I'd rather buy a whole new rig than deal with hassles of just upgrading and some don't have much of an upgrade path anyway unless I've got an extreme edtion or highend xeon I'm just gonna build and replace; And you're the one who implied budget meant cheap saying "AMD is only good for budget builds" (not exact quote paraphrasing partially forgot to quote that in advance can't as I'm not on 1st page atm) you implied it as meaning cheap with the way you phrased it....And the pentium K is overhyped IMO; and also atleast here where I am(not specified for personal reasons) the FX 8350(and the 8320 costs less and the 8120 EVEN less) is priced as cheaply as some i3s and I know this is true in some other areas I always hear people say "Just pay X more and get an i5"  >.< people are comparing the wrong chips if you have to pay more for one...

Im feeling ya, i can get a 8350 for 165 euro, hell i can even get a 9370 for the same price of a 4690k

Same reason i sold my 760 to get 2 R9 280's for 98 euro more :P

Let's agree to disagree

Man $139 for a FX-8320, for a budget builder how could you go wrong with that.

Once DirectX 12 lands, these chips will scream new life again anyways so even tho it's a old platform they will in fact age well.

Tho Excavator is coming with Carrizo, and Steamroller itself was quite a nice bump up from Piledriver.

Will have to wait and see if AMD decides to make any kind of new FX chips based on Excavator.

I personally believe we will see Excavator FX's as AMD has only just begun working on their next architecture.

Once DirectX 12 lands, these chips will scream new life again anyways so even tho it's a old platform they will in fact age well.

Tho Excavator is coming with Carrizo, and Steamroller itself was quite a nice bump up from Piledriver.

Will have to wait and see if AMD decides to make any kind of new FX chips based on Excavator.

I personally believe we will see Excavator FX's as AMD has only just begun working on their next architecture.

What makes you think that?

It's really hard to foresee such radical changes. AMD was king from 1999-2004. AMD has stated in the past that they're no longer competing with Intel.

Maybe they will sell AMD to Intel and then AMD will become ATI, so them the current AMD will return to ATI but AMD will merge with Intel.  Even though, I don't think AMD CPUs would be a huge help to Intel. 

That is like console peasants begging for "optimization."

Mantle already helps low-powered cpu. But that does not mean singlecore performance is irrelevant.

AMD really need to drastically improve the architecture to be competitive with intel; but that's a lot of work.

What makes you think that?

Here's a video of Intel demonstrating DirectX 12 vs DirectX 11, it's pretty self explanatory Microsoft is going back to a low level API.

That is like console peasants begging for "optimization."

Mantle already helps low-powered cpu. But that does not mean singlecore performance is irrelevant.

AMD really need to drastically improve the architecture to be competitive with intel; but that's a lot of work.

I will agree that AMD needs to push out at least an Excavator FX as I assume that it's going to be a very long time until K16 makes itself known (AMD just recently hired Jim Keller to lead the the project). If AMD can push out a new batch of octo-core FX chips rocking Excavator with 95w TDP (more than likely due to Carrizo jumping down to 65w TDP from Steamroller). Then AMD will be fine for a couple of years as DirectX 12 games flood the market (Microsoft plans to push DirectX 12 at the same time as a bunch of games that utilize it). Mantle works by creating a direct pipe with the GPU which removes a lot of rendering overhead similar to what DirectX 12 does in the video above. Surely AMD won't shine as bright as Intel but anything is an upgrade from Piledriver at this point. As for desktop applications there's not much of a debate between Intel and AMD. As foremost you won't ever really notice the difference between the two while doing basic daily tasks. And even if you do have to do serial workloads on the regular a Excavator FX would be quite a threaded monster (most well known heavy apps are threaded these days).

Here's a video of Intel demonstrating DirectX 12 vs DirectX 11, it's pretty self explanatory Microsoft is going back to a low level API.

Wouldn't that just help Intel as well because even though they typically have less cores, they have more powerful cores?

Wouldn't that just help Intel as well because even though they typically have less cores, they have more powerful cores?

It helps both, just like Mantle shows benefit on both AMD and Intel systems.

AMD is fine for gaming and some rendering since games are mostly gpu bound. The problem is they use more watt/performance to squeeze out more performance out of their weaker cores and they share resources.

Their lower wattage fx chip seems interesting though.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

AMD is fine for gaming and some rendering since games are mostly gpu bound. The problem is they use more watt/performance to squeeze out more performance out of their weaker cores and they share resources.

Their lower wattage fx chip seems interesting though.

You mean the E series chips? 

You mean the E series chips? 

Yes.  :)

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

No, we won't. Some are even predicting that excavator only will be available on the mobile platform (however that is only a rumour).

AMD won't release any HEDT (highend desktop) CPU's before their upcoming zen architecture.

I would definitely recommend a AMD cpu. If you wand bang for the buck, I personally think AMD is the way to go. Yes, I do have a 9590, I don't see any power hit on my bill. The thing cooks threw everything I can throw at it. Yes, a 4770k or 4790k is a lil faster, but it just depends on what your doing with your computer. My roommate has a 6300FX and it does everything just as fast pretty much. We both just use our computers for gaming, and internet pretty much, and once in awhile make a video with our gopro footage. But we would of spent a few hundred  bucks more on a intel system. I took that money and got a nice GPU, well worth it.

Dude your 9590/cooler/mobo costed twice as much as a i5 4430/H81 which gets outperformed up to ~70% and you're complaining about Intel costing too much.

Sorry, but I just prefer nVidia and Intel. Intel just seems like.... Idk, I just prefer them.

The biggest problem that our hardware is still not working optimzal, is just because of  the software devolpers.

Microsoft / gaming developers  and what not.

I dont care about intel vs amd or Nvidia vs Radeon, both have theire pro´s and con´s.

in the end its all personal which is best for you, and your wallet.

If you are a gamer, and you dont know which cpu is the best for you, then its important to know which games you play.

Intel has some advantages over amd in some games, games that are still relay on single threaded performance. mostly MMo´s.

Still this does not mean that those games are running bad on AMD.

That the current unlocked haswell i5 / i7´s are better for gaming in general is nothing to argue about, due the single threaded performance.

But like i said it highly depends on which games you play, cause there are allot of games, on which there is not much of a diffrence between amd and intel. like bioshock, tombraider, BF4, Farcry3, and such.

These discussions are so pointless every time, anytime. to be honnest.

AMD is working on new FX cpu´s for "probably" AM4 and DDR4 support.

I expect them 2016.

Intel is focussing on skylake.

If I would of gone intel, I would of gone ROG mobo still with the same cooler and a 4770k or 4790k, that's the way I look at it, would of cost me more. But I'm an AMD fan boy. Gotta rep, idc.

Intel, or AMD, whatever, they both get the job done. I got another friend with a 4790k, both our machines are within few seconds of each other on 90% of the stuff we do. When it comes to video rendering, yeah he takes the cake a lil, but by what, less than a minutes on a 30min video..  to his their own. There's nothing wrong with AMD, and I even helped him build his Intel machine, I wasn't trying to even get him to switch, he likes intel, that's fine. To the OP, AMD is decent, are they the fastest out, no, is the 9590 for bragging right for me, yes, I could of saved and got a 8350, but I'm baller, idc