improve crossfire cooling

Diceair

Hi there. 

As you can see I'm running 2x club3d royalkings r9 280x in crossfire. Sometimes my gpu will go to about 85-90C and sometimes higher. 

I already have a corsair air 540 with 3x cougar fans in front and af140 at the back. I already tried running my fan speeds on max.

I have my corsair h100i with standard fans set to intake. I tried running all fans at max but temps on top gpu is still like 90C sometimes.

So what can I do to fix my temps?

I also tried undervolting my gpu and temps is alot lower. I went from 1.26V to 1.23V and my gpu temps dropped about 5-7C+ when running heaven benchamrk 2560x1440 at everything maxed. Still would like to get temps even lower. So what should I do to improve cooling?

One user at another forum suggested I have my h100i as exhaust rather as intake.

My Specs;

i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz

16GB RAM

r9 280x crossfire.

Corsair air 540

MSI z97 Gaming 5

rest is irrelevant 

Yes, exhausting the air in your case is vitally important. What is likely causing the problem is that the hot air from the bottom card is being used to cool the second card and then that would be even hotter by the time it got to the top card. 

It might seem odd, but is there a way for you to put an exhaust fan directly next to the cards? that way the hot air is being removed as soon as it is exhausted from the cards (though it may not be very aesthetically pleasing, but that's what I did once in a non-windowed case and it helped.)

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Just so you know, this is why I chose to get reference 290X's. They eject the hot air out of the back of the case since they have blower style fans. Also, I underclock mine, but that's just me. 

I personally would underclock if I were you. You have three GPUs. Unless you vitally need the FPS (competitive gaming for example), 5% off each card should help a ton for cooling while only losing 5-15 FPS at most.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Use your H100i as an exhaust instead of an intake because it's currently pumping hot air in to your case. You can downclock the cards, remove the middle card, or go with water cooling to get the temps down.

Sorry for the confusion guys. I only have 2x r9 280x cards. I don't care if my pc looks bad now. I would rather make it look a bit uglier and get better performance. So I will really think about it. I hate cutting things cause when you do something wrong there's no going back

Sorry for the confusion guys. I only have 2x r9 280x cards. I don't care if my pc looks bad now. I would rather make it look a bit uglier and get better performance. So I will really think about it. I hate cutting things cause when you do something wrong there's no going back

Move a card down a slot?

Hi there. 

As you can see I'm running 2x club3d royalkings r9 280x in crossfire. Sometimes my gpu will go to about 85-90C and sometimes higher. 

I already have a corsair air 540 with 3x cougar fans in front and af140 at the back. I already tried running my fan speeds on max.

I have my corsair h100i with standard fans set to intake. I tried running all fans at max but temps on top gpu is still like 90C sometimes.

So what can I do to fix my temps?

I also tried undervolting my gpu and temps is alot lower. I went from 1.26V to 1.23V and my gpu temps dropped about 5-7C+ when running heaven benchamrk 2560x1440 at everything maxed. Still would like to get temps even lower. So what should I do to improve cooling?

One user at another forum suggested I have my h100i as exhaust rather as intake.

Make yourself a custom loop? That's the only way you'll get any significant drop in temperatures.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Make yourself a custom loop? That's the only way you'll get any significant drop in temperatures.

This is starting to become a very expensive pc cause first my 2500k was not enough for r9 280x crossfire then overheating so I feel in the end I wish i bought the r9 290x/290 and saved in the end or even go for r9 295x2.

I will update op with pc specs

You mentioned your temp reductions by undervolting in a synthetic and unrealistic benchmark. What temperatures are you getting in games? A 280x is rated to run up to 85 degrees so lowering temps should be a priority.

You mentioned your temp reductions by undervolting in a synthetic and unrealistic benchmark. What temperatures are you getting in games? A 280x is rated to run up to 85 degrees so lowering temps should be a priority.

Ok in games it's even lower. I just did synthetic benchmarks cause if I get lower temps there I should see lower overall.

So someone suggested i have my h100i as intake and the back af 140L as intake then I should have my 3 cougar fans in front as exhaust. So what do you guys think? do you think that will work better for me cause I hate changing my h100i out as it's a pain in the ass but if I have to then i will.

Ok in games it's even lower. I just did synthetic benchmarks cause if I get lower temps there I should see lower overall.

So someone suggested i have my h100i as intake and the back af 140L as intake then I should have my 3 cougar fans in front as exhaust. So what do you guys think? do you think that will work better for me cause I hate changing my h100i out as it's a pain in the ass but if I have to then i will.

Have the front fans intake, rear fans exhaust. Where about is your h100i mounted? Can you mount it to the top of your case and set it to exhaust air?

In all fairness though, if your temps stay in the 70s while gaming then I'd just leave it, not too much to worry about.

Ok so I have my h100i top mounted. I tried intake and no the temps is about the same I also get some sort of buzz noise of the fan hitting the radiator. fans is mounted on top of the radiator.

So I think there is not much I can do. My max temps while undervolting my card fully stable @ 1.231V was 76% at full load for about 5min in bf4

Why don't you try setting up the fans on the H100i, so they are at the bottom side of the radiator, blowing air up, through the radiator and out of your case?

Have the fans blowing air through the radiator and into your case....is blow all the CPU heat back into your system.

Top and rear fans should be configured as exhaust, while front and bottom fans should be set up as intake. The side fan (if applicable) will depend on your overall system configuration.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Why don't you try setting up the fans on the H100i, so they are at the bottom side of the radiator, blowing air up, through the radiator and out of your case?

Have the fans blowing air through the radiator and into your case....is blow all the CPU heat back into your system.

Top and rear fans should be configured as exhaust, while front and bottom fans should be set up as intake. The side fan (if applicable) will depend on your overall system configuration.

I've noticed a BIG issue. The screws they include with the h100i is to long and wont fit. So how do i get a push pull config going. I only get enough screws for the 2 fans?