PC won't turn on

Edzel Yago

Sounds like your mobo, but specifically your North Bridge maybe. My first mobo my southbridge was shorted, so I got continuous power (lights, fans, CPU/cooler), but no GPU power and no Post. So of you aren't getting continuous power, it should sound like a PSU issue (but sounds like you already solved that) or a north bridge/pin connector problem to me.

i7-4770k @3.5GHz | 2 EVGA gtx 780 SC ACX in SLI | AsRock Xtreme4 z87 | Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 | Corsiar HX-850 | NZXT Phantom 410 |                                                                                                                                                   CoolerMaster Siedon 120XL AIO Water Cooler | X-Star 1440p 27"

This may be a long shot, but look at all the pins on the motherboard. They're usually by your front panel connectors and USB headers. Make sure the plastic piece that is bridging those pins isn't missing. I've no idea if those are only a thing on older motherboards or something, but I have had to use a piece of foil to bridge some pins to start someone's computer before.

Wait, can Linus not help you with this?

I'm dutch, so feel free to correct any spelling mistakes I might make.  I try to do the best I can!

Spoiler

CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K GPU: Asus ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI PSU: Corsair HX1000 V2 MEM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz  COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb +1tb NVME / Samsung 840EVo 1tb / HGST Ultrastar 10tb

He's in Seattle attending PAX Prime

Proof: https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/505788598944145408

Oh I thought just Luke & Brandon went.

I'm dutch, so feel free to correct any spelling mistakes I might make.  I try to do the best I can!

Spoiler

CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K GPU: Asus ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI PSU: Corsair HX1000 V2 MEM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz  COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb +1tb NVME / Samsung 840EVo 1tb / HGST Ultrastar 10tb

Oh I thought just Luke & Brandon went.

They went for Day 1. Linus went for Day 2, and I think they're all staying until the end IIRC

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Do a BIOS Update, try a new mobo if possible, plug something in to each usb port one at a time and move down the row (this can "re seat" the USB ports, in the rare case that a pin got lose on the inside and is making a connection putting a usb into it can slide it back into place. I say one at a time because you need to know what one works, if any) Check capacitors, look for any points on the mobo where it became unsoldered and fix according if you can, a heatgun is a good option (just be careful. Use tinfoil around the gun like a kind of shroud to aim the gun more accurately) and if none of these works, then you are looking at dead parts.

My first suspect would be motherboard. Next would be RAM. In RARE cases the CPU could be dead, but it takes alot of trauma to kill a cpu.
Were you overclocking?

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

So I've tried changing ram (sticks from another PC), taking battery out, I don't think this board requires plastic jumpers, and tried without a cpu installed.

I think something must be shorting it but I don't know what. I'll try the USB thing but otherwise, I think that's it and I'll just have to wait for Linus for a different board. He'll be back tonight.

Follow me on Twitter at: @edzelyago

So I've tried changing ram (sticks from another PC), taking battery out, I don't think this board requires plastic jumpers, and tried without a cpu installed.

I think something must be shorting it but I don't know what. I'll try the USB thing but otherwise, I think that's it and I'll just have to wait for Linus for a different board. He'll be back tonight.

Didn't Linus do a video on one of the pins being bent on the socket and fixing it? I can;t remember if it was for your pc or not but if it was maybe that?

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Yes if the USB thing doesn't work that was my last idea lol.

Other than trying different parts with known good ones but not everyone has a motherboard or two laying around the house.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

Wait, can Linus not help you with this?

Linus is not god. He can't be everywhere at one time.

Linus is not god.

You're wrong. He is the god of computers:

fwTx4tU.jpg

Spoiler

Pretty much the same thing happened with my Y50. Notepal L1(or something) was connected to the always on USB port, after shutting the system on, turning it on would result in the power LED being on for 1-2 sec and then the laptop being dead.
The thing that fixed it was opening the thing up and unplugging and re plugging the battery connector, I did the SATA one just to be sure, the system then booted up just fine.

Try removing ALL USB devices, also use a flashlight to check the PINS of the ports, maybe something is bent and is causing the short circuit.
From your posts, it seems all the components are perfectly fine, so the culprit can be:
1.USB device 

2.USB port pins
3.Fried MOBO

Do share after giving all this a try.
Hope it helps you out! 

EDIT: Noticed that no USB devices are plugged in, check the pins and try without anything plugged in and then once with all the USB ports occupied, maybe it'll work.

Edited by H_Dogg

Y50
4710HQ + GTX 860M 4GB vRAM + 8GB DDR3L + Peasantry 1080p + EVO840 250GB

I think that the problem may be that you haven't got any storage device attached to it, try to connect a HD/SSD and the reboot.

If you don't still doesn't start and if you have a POS display on the mobo itself try looking at the number/code on it , there should be a list of the possible errors in the motherboard manual.

You're wrong. He is the god of computers:

fwTx4tU.jpg

I'm  fabberglasted.

I'm  fabberglasted.

Glorious Linus master race.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

Glorious Linus master race.

We should use that image as an icon for #PCmasterrace; like gaben and valve.

We should use that image as an icon for #PCmasterrace; like gaben and valve.

make it happen.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

Any updates?

Y50
4710HQ + GTX 860M 4GB vRAM + 8GB DDR3L + Peasantry 1080p + EVO840 250GB

Any updates?

it's alive

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

What was the issue?

dont know the details, but he was using it in his stream the other day

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

I had the same problem
I changed ram and reseated my cpu.
could figure it out
finally turns turns out my fans weren't properly connected 
well at least that's the last thing i did before it magically started working...

Motherboard issue probably, are you sure you plugged everything in fully?

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

ok i know this might sound stupid but the motherboard is probably dead or the bios doesnt work with the cpu my friend had the same problem. but what i was going to say is that im having the same problem and i know its not the mobo and first it did what this guy explains the pc turns on and of again and now it does nothign pls help me on this one its was my first build and i had it working but i had to move it another case cuz my friend wanted to buy my new one for like 100$ more than it was actualy worth :P