a complete noob moment

PuNkPoEtS

i have had some noob moments in my life but the only one that stands out is buying a GT 440 video card and thinking i could run any game on it as it has 1GB of memory to make matters worse i went and got a HD7770 to replace that then found out it wasnt that much better then the gt440 so had to go and get a new video card when i sold them and got the HD 7870

whats some of the noob things you have done?

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

Around 3-4 years back prior to me having any PC hardware knowledge, when i went with my dad to pick up a new graphics card (Mine fried itself lol) we had to get a swap of PSU as well, and i was disappointed because we were only getting like a 250w PSU (Some OEM lenovo computer running C2D E4400 with a 9500GT upgrade) and i saw 1200W PSUs on the price list, so i was like 'Aw shucks why not get the 1200W! Big numbers = good!'.

Now that i think of it that was pretty funny  :lol:

i bought a laptop for gaming. FAAAAAAAAAAAIL.

yeah i bought a dell XPS laptop to play games on that too while it did handle most games i couldnt max out any settings unless the game was an old one

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

yeah i bought a dell XPS laptop to play games on that too while it did handle most games i couldnt max out any settings unless the game was an old one

My laptop can handle any game out. But the most graphic-heavy ones only barely on low.

BLAOW!!!!

I once bought gfx card then new gfx card came out same price and ofcourse way faster.

Never make that mistake again.

Laptops can run games fine just don't expect ultra graphics unless you actualy buy real gaming laptop.

I won't and I don't care about ultra graphics anyway. 20-30 fps on low kinda sucks though(bf3)

BLAOW!!!!

I bought a case that was to small and didnt bother to notice it was to small until a few months after the return policy was up, then to make matters worse my cat felt the need to trip out on acid and run full force into it and it shattered all the plastic when it fell off my desk with nothing in it.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I didn't chuck enough thermal paste on my 3770k, and wondered why it was hitting tmax under full load.

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.

The Green Machine.

Sounds like got worse laptop then i have, tough mine is eating dust since 2011 with only 2 day's uptime so far.

Sometimes I wana smash this laptop against my wall. Or throw it out the window. Specs wise it's good(not the best but up there wit th better ones)

BLAOW!!!!

another noob moment that i know of( happened to my dad) he wanted the gigabyte assassin mobo and it was the lga1366 and he thought it was a ATX factor and not realising it was a xl atx he wanted a small case and when he went to the shop and picked up everything he got home and had to take the case back to get something bigger(HAF X)

Spoiler

I was a noob when I built my current computer, or rather moreso than I am now, and what I did to the wiring in there would get me crucified if I showed pictures to any self-respecting PC-builder. It really is horrible, obviosly it works since I'm writing this, but it's nasty to look at.

CBF to install all the mobo stands, bent the PCB when installing ram and cracked the micro soldering.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Buys a new thermal paste and replaced the old thermal paste and thinks the new one improves the temperature. It get worst than the old worned thermal paste. I'm not sure what's the thermal paste name because it's a pre-packaged PC.

when I had a prebuilt small form factor pc that could only accept low profile pcie cards I bought a £30 card that was slightly too tall and had no low profile adapter, sent it back to amazon, then went to look for another one and bought the exact same one again... facepalm, that was an embarrassing call to amazon explaining why I bought it and returned it twice.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

When I was 10 or 11 I tried to install a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI video card (16 MB of VRAM...wooo!) in my PC. I installed it then couldn't get the PC to boot up/display any image on my kick ass 14" 640x480 monitor. I had to beg my parents to pay for it to get repaired, I think it cost over $75 to "repair" the problem. Sigh....I was young, so....oh well.

i5 3570K • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP • 2x Asus GTX 670 SLI • Asus Sabertooth z77 • Asus PCE-AC66 • Crucial M4 256GB • Corsair AX 850 • Sound Blaster Xz • Fractal Define R4 • Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 • Dell U2713HM • Sennheiser RS 180 • Fanatec Porsche GT2 Wheel • Clubsport Pedals

I thought that if I did something about the cable management my pc would go faster...

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

I thought that if I did something about the cable management my pc would go faster...

well it could if u overclocked it and it would be cooler :D

Spoiler

I bought an iPad.

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

I wanted my PC to be quieter than my previous one... then I got an HD 6870... (my first priority was bang for the buck, though, and I got plenty of that)

I wanted my PC to be quieter than my previous one... then I got an HD 6870... (my first priority was bang for the buck, though, and I got plenty of that)

check this i posted earlier bud >>>>> http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/20581-gelid-icy-vision-rev2-modified-to-fit-ati-6870/

Once bought a pentium 4 cedar mill not realising it had a totaly diff architecture to the prescot, think it's still in a drawer downstairs lol

I brought a membrane keyboard  :( ... i thought it was cool when i first got a pc havnt botheed getting a new one yet

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I wonder if linus or slick have ever had massive noob times

Spoiler

My favorite is when I spent $300 on Asus motherboard.