Nintendo saying goodbye to casuals

Mooshi

Now, if only they would wake up about making a decent machine, with decent graphics, and games with decent graphics instead of cartoon graphics.

While I'd never want to play a game at a non-native resolution or with a framerate less than 60, Graphics is not everything.  Since I probably can't explain it as well as the guys at Extra Credits you can watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oK8UTRgvJU

Nintendo has nailed the style they wanted to create in every game they've made, and when you emulate their previous games in your Native Resolution they look even better. Just look at Skyward Sword run on the Dolphin Emulator:

Because Nintendo makes such great games I would never want them to make a game with an Aesthetic style that they didn't want to make, but that isn't to say that they might want to make a non-cartoon style in the future. I would never want the fanbase to force it on them though.

However, since the Wii was the last Nintendo console my family owned when I lived with them, as long as Nintendo keeps developing their games as their own platform exclusives, they will never get any of my money.  It's as simple as that.

EDIT: I guess this also means that if you don't screw up the simple things like platform exclusiveness, rebindable keys, no framerate locks, and extended resolution support you're essentially future proofing your PC game.

While I'd never want to play a game at a non-native resolution or with a framerate less than 60, Graphics is not everything.  Since I probably can't explain it as well as the guys at Extra Credits you can watch this:

-snip

Nintendo has nailed the style they wanted to create in every game they've made, and when you emulate their previous games in your Native Resolution they look even better. Just look at Skyward Sword run on the Dolphin Emulator:

-snip

Because Nintendo makes such great games I would never want them to make a game with an Aesthetic style that they didn't want to make, but that isn't to say that they might want to make a non-cartoon style in the future. I would never want the fanbase to force it on them though.

However, since the Wii was the last Nintendo console my family owned when I lived with them, as long as Nintendo keeps developing their games as their own platform exclusives, they will never get any of my money.  It's as simple as that.

EDIT: I guess this also means that if you don't screw up the simple things like platform exclusiveness, rebindable keys, no framerate locks, and extended resolution support you're essentially future proofing your PC game.

My issue is not resolution, it's that the aesthetic style is shit. It looks like cartoons. I want zelda looking like skyrim.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

My issue is not resolution, it's that the aesthetic style is shit. It looks like cartoons. I want zelda looking like skyrim.

See, I'm different. The aesthetic style is great. I like Wind Waker and Skyward Sword (and OoT/MM). They are great looking games imo that stand the test of time. However, ever since I saw that trailer showing a more realistic LoZ and Twilight Princess, I've wanted to experience LoZ like Skyrim/Demon's Souls'. Very realistic, possibly slightly dark/gritty (not like Twilight Princess, but like Demon's Souls), etc. 

That'd be wonderful imo. I still like the old games and still want them to make LoZ with that aesthetic (but with new features/concepts to make the game fun again rather than the same old thing, even if it isn't boring), but I want some of this other thing too because I know I'd enjoy it a lot. 

I mean, really. I loved Darksiders. It was like Legend of Zelda and God of War had a baby. And it was wonderful. Give me that. But more realistic (since the Darksiders games had a slightly more cartoonish style than God of War). After all, THQ made those games and I believe someone bought the rights, but I haven't heard of any new ones coming out. :(

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

My issue is I don't want a developer making a game that they don't want to make. If they want to make a realistic aesthetic then great, I still believe it would make an excellent game.  Either way, you can't say that the style is not what they were looking to make, and that's really what makes games stand out.

Looks like Nintendo finally got the hint that casual gamers, the types who think Flappy Bird is a brilliant game, are not the audience they should cater to anymore. Back when the Wii first launched, it sold like mad and the fad of casual games was at a high. It was down right impossible to get a Wii around the holiday seasons and soon kids and old folks alike were playing Wii sports. Fast forward to some years later and the Wii-U is doing so bad. Bad enough where Microsoft's Xbone PR wasn't so horrible. I believe it's because the casuals moved on from Wii hype and onto tapping their phones on public transit or wherever.

Some strong words from Miyamoto.

source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/475384/miyamoto-explains-nintendos-renewed-passion-for-the-core/

you like the journalist are sensationalizing what Miyamoto said in his press release, which is no surprise because the journalist quite possibly just used Google translate. Furthermore you and the "journalist" only put down specific quotes. Miyamoto said that he and his company have no current intention in competing in the mobile/similar markets because of the design of those games. They aren't meant to be interactive or in-depth they are like movies requiring no thought. They do not like that mindset because they want games that are interactive; games that are fun while maintaining an engaging feel.

They aren't against "filthy casuals" at all, because Nintendo still has no intentions of maintaining any kind of (market wise) competitive base in the pc industry. Nintendo has and always will create games for systems they design because they want to provide their vision in the exact manner they want. Nintendo still will focus on these core design values instead of "ermagerd pc" or "ermagerd comp. games tournaments ermagerd.

God the pretentiousness of children.

Edit: WOW totally didn't notice the enormous 4chan reference by the op. Now I know they're just a script kiddy troll.

But Zelda isn't the same game as Skyrim. Not only are they catering to different audiences, they are going for a different feel.

Zelda looking like Skyrim would actually ruin the story and ultimately the game itself in my opinion because Nintendo never intended for Zelda to look realistic. It has a story-book feel, like you're playing through a fairy tale. The names reflect this too, with names referencing mythical artifacts like "Ocarina of Time" and "Majora's Mask."

It's not supposed to feel real, it's supposed to feel like a story, it was designed to reflect Shigeru Miyamoto's euphoric experience of wandering the hills of Japan as a young boy and marveling at the beauty of nature, imagining legends of travelers that had passed there beforehand.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

you like the journalist are sensationalizing what Miyamoto said in his press release, which is no surprise because the journalist quite possibly just used Google translate. Furthermore you and the "journalist" only put down specific quotes. Miyamoto said that he and his company have no current intention in competing in the mobile/similar markets because of the design of those games. They aren't meant to be interactive or in-depth they are like movies requiring no thought. They do not like that mindset because they want games that are interactive; games that are fun while maintaining an engaging feel.

They aren't against "filthy casuals" at all, because Nintendo still has no intentions of maintaining any kind of (market wise) competitive base in the pc industry. Nintendo has and always will create games for systems they design because they want to provide their vision in the exact manner they want. Nintendo still will focus on these core design values instead of "ermagerd pc" or "ermagerd comp. games tournaments ermagerd.

God the pretentiousness of children.

Says the one who inserted "filthy" before casual when the OP had no such wording and having the nerve to call others "pretentious children". That completely broke my irony meter.

Personally, I took Miyomoto's words as he has no interest for Nintendo to keep making gimmick casual games that plagued the Wii such as Wii Sports and that the mobile market can keep their very simplistic games. This is on par with tourist going somewhere to try a restaurant without any desire to ever visit them again. This was Nintendo's problem. It attracted the tourists of the gaming world instead of dedicated gamers. Once the these people left to the next gimmick, Nintendo was left high and dry. To me, this means Miyomoto wants to have a more focus on the core of Nintendo instead of trying to please people who won't even stuck around for the long haul.

If they wanted to make a butt-ton of money, all they need to do is release Pokemon/N64 games for iPhone/Android etc. I would pay $30+ for FireRed version on my iphone

wow maybe this is also hinting towards Smash 4 not being as slow as molasses and actually apealing towards the ssbm crowd. If this is so I will throw my money at this plastic box SO hard.

:D

See, I'm different. The aesthetic style is great. I like Wind Waker and Skyward Sword (and OoT/MM). They are great looking games imo that stand the test of time. However, ever since I saw that trailer showing a more realistic LoZ and Twilight Princess, I've wanted to experience LoZ like Skyrim/Demon's Souls'. Very realistic, possibly slightly dark/gritty (not like Twilight Princess, but like Demon's Souls), etc. 

That'd be wonderful imo. I still like the old games and still want them to make LoZ with that aesthetic (but with new features/concepts to make the game fun again rather than the same old thing, even if it isn't boring), but I want some of this other thing too because I know I'd enjoy it a lot. 

I mean, really. I loved Darksiders. It was like Legend of Zelda and God of War had a baby. And it was wonderful. Give me that. But more realistic (since the Darksiders games had a slightly more cartoonish style than God of War). After all, THQ made those games and I believe someone bought the rights, but I haven't heard of any new ones coming out. :(

Well for me, and this is one thing I don't think people think about, with OoT they were going for a "realistic" look, because the n64 was the most powerful 3rd gaming console at the time, they were simply limited by that. Since then though, (and yes there are some things in that game and others that are "cartoonish" in concept) they have gone with what I call a kiddy theme. When they could go with a nitty gritty realistic look (think of it like LoTR, that has elves and dwarves and whatnot) that would just be badass

But Zelda isn't the same game as Skyrim. Not only are they catering to different audiences, they are going for a different feel.

Zelda looking like Skyrim would actually ruin the story and ultimately the game itself in my opinion because Nintendo never intended for Zelda to look realistic. It has a story-book feel, like you're playing through a fairy tale. The names reflect this too, with names referencing mythical artifacts like "Ocarina of Time" and "Majora's Mask."

It's not supposed to feel real, it's supposed to feel like a story, it was designed to reflect Shigeru Miyamoto's euphoric experience of wandering the hills of Japan as a young boy and marveling at the beauty of nature, imagining legends of travelers that had passed there beforehand.

Wow. Didn't know that. Sounds epic. 

Maybe that's why I don't enjoy Skyrim's story. Then again, it's not that much of a story really. I mean it is, but... eh. 

I'd be game for a realistic looking game in Hyrule/LoZ's world where you just discover ancient stuff related to the adventures. See, in Demon's Souls, almost the entire backstory was told by the environment and item descriptions. There were like 3-5 cut scenes in the entire game, including ending/opening scenes. The dialogue usually came when you were actually fighting the bosses/enemies. That dialogue, the cut scenes, and the environment/item descriptions were all you got. And I loved it. :D

I would love to basically do that, killing ancient evils, learning more backstory/lore about their world in a realistic/dark game like that. 

Plus, while I understand the aesthetic is supposed to reflect storybook qualities (since that's sort of what a cartoon style is for), I feel like the story can grow to fill a realistic aesthetic as well. The LoZ story gets filled more and more as times goes on and more games release. It's not like they couldn't add such things. Twilight Princess was already in that direction. Going further wouldn't be hard imo. 

Well for me, and this is one thing I don't think people think about, with OoT they were going for a "realistic" look, because the n64 was the most powerful 3rd gaming console at the time, they were simply limited by that. Since then though, (and yes there are some things in that game and others that are "cartoonish" in concept) they have gone with what I call a kiddy theme. When they could go with a nitty gritty realistic look (think of it like LoTR, that has elves and dwarves and whatnot) that would just be badass

True. I didn't think about that. 

I agree to an extent. Apparently the next game will be pretty huge and look like Skyward Sword aesthetically. Oh well. I'll never play it. :( http://wiiudaily.com/2012/09/wii-u-zelda-game-coming-2014/

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Wow. Didn't know that. Sounds epic. 

Maybe that's why I don't enjoy Skyrim's story. Then again, it's not that much of a story really. I mean it is, but... eh. 

I'd be game for a realistic looking game in Hyrule/LoZ's world where you just discover ancient stuff related to the adventures. See, in Demon's Souls, almost the entire backstory was told by the environment and item descriptions. There were like 3-5 cut scenes in the entire game, including ending/opening scenes. 

I would love to basically do that, killing ancient evils, learning more backstory/lore about their world in a realistic/dark game like that. 

Plus, while I understand the aesthetic is supposed to reflect storybook qualities (since that's sort of what a cartoon style is for), I feel like the story can grow to fill a realistic aesthetic as well. The LoZ story gets filled more and more as times goes on. It's not like they couldn't add such things. Twilight Princess was already in that direction. Going further wouldn't be hard imo. 

True. I didn't think about that. 

I agree to an extent. Apparently the next game will be pretty huge and look like Skyward Sword aesthetically. Oh well. I'll never play it. :( http://wiiudaily.com/2012/09/wii-u-zelda-game-coming-2014/

It's still cell shaded, so looks like crap in my opinion. I'll get something when they come out with either a console that's got a reasonable amount of power and isn't just a gimmick, and or (And this is so unlikely it's retarded) release one for pc

He's right though, possibly the worst kind of game consumer is the passive 'I only buy games with TV ads or that are forced on me from social pressure', you know the kind that only touches the games with the biggest marketing budgets and make no effort to get into gaming or stay informed on upcoming games.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

This makes me sad. I don't want Nintendo abandon being Nintendo and try to be PC like the Xbox and Playstation.

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

If I'm reading this correctly, it says " Miyamoto and his team ", not Nintendo as a whole.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

If I'm reading this correctly, it says " Miyamoto and his team ", not Nintendo as a whole.

And Miyomoto is the one behind Mario and Zelda, THE largest IPs Nintendo ever had. Safe to say anything Miyomoto does may as well be Nintendo as a whole. Aside from things like Pokemon and Animal Crossing, that's what fuels Nintendo in general.

Hah, looking at the title I thought the article would be about the most recent Extra Credits episode about the blue shell in Mariokart, during which they talked about how Nintendo seems to be focusing on their dedicated, competitive audience more.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P