Would you give up Fibre internet for free rent?

Murdoch

Take the free rent and higher pay, it's the logical option.

I think you're right.

dude it's free rent mang u can save money for a house or new car

True, I've already been trying to save up for a deposit for a House (mortgage). Not having a huge sum to pay each month on rent, would speed this up so much. I could probably look to buy a one within a year.

So my company has just offered me a new position, much better job, more money

You could have stopped right there: Yes, take it. Internet is nice but a better job with a better paycheck on top is more important. You can just take trips or vacations to somewhere with fiber.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm not being funny, but people are recommending you spend £9000 per year in rent alone just so you can then pay an extra £400 or so just to have fibre.... £10k per year just about...

edit: exactly... within 2 years you could get a mortgage if you saved hard. rent free living will save you a fortune.

north of scotland

Just how far north are you going?

It gets pretty desolate up there :P

Totally take the free rent, endure the slow internet for a year or two while saving up enough money for a deposit for a house. Or stay there even longer in order to save up even more money so you can give a bigger upfront payment on the house, reducing the load off your shoulder when it's time to pay it back every month.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Free rent man. There is no 4g service? Buy 5 miles of cat 6 and string it into town. Can you get something like a 4g satellite?

2014 - EVGA 780 SC ACX | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | VGA248QE | Fractal Define r4

2015 - EVGA 980 | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X41 | Asus ProArt 1080p IPS | Fractal Define r4

2017 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 6600K | Strix z270e | Trident DDR4 3GHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X42 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair Crystal 460x

2021 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 5600X | Strix B550-F | Trident Neo DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | Dark Power Pro 12 1500W | EK AIO Basic 360 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

2023 - Asus TUF 4090 | 5800X3D | Strix B550-F | Viper DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | RM1000x | h150i 360 Elite LCD | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Just how far north are you going?

It gets pretty desolate up there :P

Actualy it's not too bad, in the sticks sort of mid distance between inverness and aberdeen. I'd be moving from Aberdeen. There's a hell of a lot more remote places haha.

Actualy it's not too bad, in the sticks sort of mid distance between inverness and aberdeen. I'd be moving from Aberdeen. There's a hell of a lot more remote places haha.

Hmmmm aberdeen Sooooo yummy

Let's agree to disagree

You're not really that far north then :P

Both Inverness and Aberdeen are lovely cities though, and absolutely fantastic sights, hiking and camping to be found up that way, if you're into that sort of thing.  :)

You're not really that far north then :P

Both Inverness and Aberdeen are lovely cities though, and absolutely fantastic sights, hiking and camping to be found up that way, if you're into that sort of thing.  :)

Yepp, normally I would've just said "north east", but I know for a lot of people in the UK and abroad, anything above glasgow is the "north of scotland". Haha.

Yepp, normally I would've just said "north east", but I know for a lot of people in the UK and abroad, anything above glasgow is the "north of scotland". Haha.

Haha, when most Brits refer to the "North East" meaning Northumberland I have a chuckle and think how I view that as being "down south" - I'm in Edinburgh so I've always viewed myself as being in the southeast haha (when talking about Scotland exclusively that is).

Take the free rent, find a friend who lives with fiber for downloading stuff.  As long as the internet has reasonable latency you can suffer through it.

Take that money you would have spent on rent and save every dime for a down payment on some property or stock investments.  Suffer for as long as you can stand it. 

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

btw, I just realized...

rent free HOUSE to yourself?  Not just an apartment, an entire HOUSE?  Take the damn deal.  If I hear you did anything other than that, I will fly there myself and take your job.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

btw, I just realized...

rent free HOUSE to yourself?  Not just an apartment, an entire HOUSE?  Take the damn deal.  If I hear you did anything other than that, I will fly there myself and take your job.

Yeah it's like a 2 bedroom cottage, pretty rustic, the water supply is from a spring water well. Electricity is supplied mainly from Wind turbines situated on a hill about 300 metres away.

As long as the internet connection is stable and consistent, free rent dude. I'd totally go for it. 500KBps is still yards better than enough for me to torrent all my anime.

Yes I would! I have about 2Mbps where we live atm (UK and in the countryside), so have yet to even experience fibre. However with kids to look after, jobs etc the free rent would go a long way. 

Yes. 

So my company has just offered me a new position, much better job, more money and a rent free house onsite.

The catch is, it's got crappy internet, we're talking a 4mb adsl line. I can take the job without the house, but it will cost me around £750 (per month) rent for an equaivalent house in the nearest town.

So my question is simple, would you give up Fibre internet for free rent?

Personally I'm leaning towards no.

No you shouldn't.  You should however hook me up cause I'd take that deal in a heartbeat.

nope mum and dad pay it ... not my problem 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER