GVR thinks drivers are up to date. I don't.

ok i've done a valley benchmark: http://imgur.com/0EbzNqt

According to hardware monitor the peak values were:

Mobo:

voltage: 3.168 v

temp 1: 30 C

temp 2: 58 C

temp 3  48 C

CPU 47 C

GPU 

Core: 1000 mhz

Memory: 1500mhz (shouldn't these turbo?)

temp 70C

load 96%

If i was to get a CPU cooler, i would probably get a hyper 212 evo, but i don't know anything about chipset coolers.

fa60tm3bup2l.jpg

this sort of PWM fan

cute mini version of the 120mm and 80mm fan

gets power from the mobo fan headers 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

fa60tm3bup2l.jpg

this sort of PWM fan

Ok, and where would i put that on the board? (feel like a complete noob now :) )

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Ok, and where would i put that on the board? (feel like a complete noob now :) )

on the heat sink which is next to the IO ports and beside the CPU socket

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Hmm, theres a 200mm exhaust fan right there. if i changed that to intake do you think that would fix the vrm overheating issue?

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Hmm, theres a 200mm exhaust fan right there. if i changed that to intake do you think that would fix the vrm overheating issue?

not much 

the suggest airflow should be intake from front and exhaust to the back

the small fan wont affect the airflow

the tiny fan there to help cool the VRMs

I've been reading through this thread, the person has the same issue, in fact this issue seems to be affecting many people with AMD cpus/gpus/mobos

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2167607/low-fps-games-8350-290.html

A solution mentioned was making sure ram timings were correct. I do have XMP enabled on the ram

Timings for my Ram

AVD3U16000904G-1SW DDR3-1600 4GB 9-9-9-24 PC3-12800 1.5V Y

I've been reading through this thread, the person has the same issue, in fact this issue seems to be affecting many people with AMD cpus/gpus/mobos

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2167607/low-fps-games-8350-290.html

A solution mentioned was making sure ram timings were correct. I do have XMP enabled on the ram

there is no harm trying see if that method helps

otherwise the cooling method for the VRMs

there is no harm trying see if that method helps

otherwise the cooling method for the VRMs

http://imgur.com/Eusdejo

Timings:  9-9-9-24  1.5 volts

Also says that its dual channel

seem correct

so yea time for the cooling method

not much 

the suggest airflow should be intake from front and exhaust to the back

the small fan wont affect the airflow

the tiny fan there to help cool the VRMs

Turns out i couldn't flip the 200mm thats at the top of the case because i didn't have screws that were long enough... It'll have to stay as an exhaust.

seem correct

Ok i've checked the ram timings in BIOS, and: http://imgur.com/mgFQnm7. Now i don't know much about ram timings, but according to my receipt, the ram is C9. I'm pretty sure the 11s mean that the ram is set to c11.

and: http://imgur.com/U6GcsXg

I don't see how i can mount a fan like that on that heatsink (the one above the CPU socket, next to the CPU power header.

8181_big.jpg

Now that i have that information about my system (horrible pun intended) 

Call the pun enforcement team, cuz i don't get it :/

Ok i've checked the ram timings in BIOS, and: http://imgur.com/mgFQnm7. Now i don't know much about ram timings, but according to my receipt, the ram is C9. I'm pretty sure the 11s mean that the ram is set to c11.

and: http://imgur.com/U6GcsXg

I don't see how i can mount a fan like that on that heatsink (the one above the CPU socket, next to the CPU power header.

8181_big.jpg

i can think of sticky tape or plastic ties

i can think of sticky tape or plastic ties

Oh, so this is getting ghetto :)

Would this work? http://imgur.com/tEFbHUq

On a side note, it won't let me display imgur images in the thread, i can only post the link, wish it weren't so.

this sort of PWM fan

Also, i've used up all four fan headers on the mobo. 

will a molex work?

And, what is the chipset that the fan is going on? its not the NB or SB, thats about all i know.

I've found dedicated chipset fans and heatsinks such as: 

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11755/vid-154/Akasa_Cool_Blue_Anodized_Univeral_Chipset_Cooler_-_40mm_Blue_LED_Fan_AK-210.html             and 

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/21567/vid-236/Aavid_Thermalloy_High_Pressure_Heatsink_-_39mm_x_39mm_x_15mm_-_Anodized_Black.html

Surely there is a way to fix this without going ghetto.

Exactly. 

Have you got any clues to add?

seem correct

Hmm, i bought all the components from this PC from a local store, so maybe i can get it replaced under warranty, because they've given me a product that is causing overheating, and is underperforming, even though all components are compatible.

If i upgraded to this (another 20 bucks) [https://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=615022&CategoryID=629] I would have the quality of Asus. I don't know of any drivers i'm using that are specific to Gigabyte, but i'll have to reinstall windows.

maybe something like this would work

http://www.enzotechnology.com/mst_78.htm

mst_78.jpg

Or this would be excellent:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209044

61Ks2Z31azL._SL1500_.jpg

I just checked your profile. a 600w PSU with an r9 290? wtf!

I just checked your profile. a 600w PSU with an r9 290? wtf!

Wut, it's sufficient, the 290 doesn't need a 850W psu and the CX600M never failed me 

Wut, it's sufficient, the 290 doesn't need a 850W psu and the CX600M never failed me 

It actually works... wow. My 280x has a 750 w PSU. a 290 guzzles even more power, that is crazy!

It actually works... wow. My 280x has a 750 w PSU. a 290 guzzles even more power, that is crazy!

You went way overkill with that psu bro

those could work but you def need some way to secure them

mst_78.jpg

This looks like it'll fit, i'll get some measurements though

I'm sorry, i just really don't want to go ghetto :)

Wow. Just set my ram timings to 9-9-9-24 which is what they should be, and set it to xmp. This also changed it to xmp for the CPU.

Caused a BSOD, so i disabled xmp. Boots into windows fine

The mouse doesn't left click, but the keyboard works fine.

I went into Logitech Gaming software, and the mouse buttons setups that i had for my g502 are all gone!

I think i have backups somewhere...

EDIT: glad i had backups, i don't know what i would do if i lost those :(

Still, i'd love to know why XMP is causing a BSOD. The BSOD happened after i logged in.