Seeking suggestions for new audio and microphone setup. Budget is 1000usd

VildDingo

Hello community of Linustechtips!

This community seems to be helpful and informative, so you might be able to help me out.

Disclaimer: I am new to audiophile, and I know absolutely nothing about it yet :)

I am looking for a total of four items, which are the following:

• Audiophile quality closed full-sized, circumaural headset.

• Dac for the headset.

• Amp for the headset, should have some kind of volume control(This might be default on all Amps, I do not know).

• A good microphone, I do not mind having a desktop microphone.

I will be using the headset in the following priority: gaming, movies, skype, music.

I am willing to spend 1000usd

If you would be so kind to share your experience with headsets, dac, amp, microphones, I would be pleased.

EDIT: Due to new insight about the advantages of open headphones, I have decided that I rather want to go with an open design than a closed design.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have been looking at Mayflower Electronics' products for quiet some time now, but unfortunately I do not think they ship items to EU :(

snip

What sort of sound do you like? bassy? neutral? just a pair of headphones that suit your needs and a mod mic should honestly be all you need, depending on your motherboard. which motherboard do you have then?

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I have been looking at Mayflower Electronics' products for quiet some time now, but unfortunately I do not think they ship items to EU :(

they do btw

I wouldn't recommend spending so much if you're new to good audio products, unless you're so rich that you're just finding excuses to piss away money.

What kind of stuff have you owned in the past?

They ship everywhere, FYI.

I am upgrading to haswell-e and X99 chipset whenever it will be released, so my current motherboard should not be a contributing factor to my audio purchase. My motherboard is however Sabertooth z77.

I do not have a preferable music genre, and I therefore often tend to go for a more natural sound, such that it does not influence one type of music more than another type of music.

Keep in mind, I am new to quality sound, so I may just be talking rubbish. Please correct me, if I say something that is way off  :)

I will take a second look at Mayflower Electronics.

I am not a big fan of the mod mic concept. For me it looks like it would quickly become wire tangling.

I have been using a razer megalodon for about 4 years now.

As I original stated, I am willing to spend 1000usd.

I am upgrading to haswell-e and X99 chipset whenever it will be released, so my current motherboard should not be a contributing factor to my audio purchase. My motherboard is however Sabertooth z77.

I do not have a preferable music genre, and I therefore often tend to go for a more natural sound, such that it does not influence one type of music more than another type of music.

Keep in mind, I am new to quality sound, so I may just be talking rubbish. Please correct me, if I say something that is way off   :)

I will take a second look at Mayflower Electronics.

I am not a big fan of the mod mic concept. For me it looks like it would quickly become wire tangling.

yeah Mod mic could become a little annoying at times, but then there are other mics like a Blue Snowball, which is a table mic, I'd just advise you to keep it closer to your mouth than your keyboard.

considering your motherboard, you don't really need an external dac/ amp, unless it's broken. and for headphones that are "natural" or neutral, I recommend something like the Shure SRH440's, with 840 pads, or if you want slightly better (not a lot better, 440 is better value) stuff, Shure SRH840's. If you don't like the coiled cable it comes with, you can also buy a straight cable. honestly you don't need to spend more than.. about 250$, and even that is a pretty big number for headphones.

EDIT: Also, please quote us, like we quote you. you just hit the "quote" button.

Edited by Lauen

yeah Mod mic could become a little annoying at times, but then there are other mics like a Blue Snowball, which is a table mic, I'd just advise you to keep it closer to your mouth than your keyboard.

considering your motherboard, you don't really need an external dac/ amp, unless it's broken. and for headphones that are "natural" or neutral, I recommend something like the Shure SRH440's, with 840 pads, or if you want slightly better (not a lot better, 440 is better value) stuff, Shure SRH840's. If you don't like the coiled cable it comes with, you can also buy a straight cable. honestly you don't need to spend more than.. about 250$, and even that is a pretty big number for headphones.

EDIT: Also, please quote us, like we quote you. you just hit the "quote" button.

I will start quoting when I reply to a specific person.

I will look into the products you mentions, I am however still looking for more suggestions and/or you guys experience with different products.

I appreciate all the answers so far.

I will start quoting when I reply to a specific person.

I will look into the products you mentions, I am however still looking for more suggestions and/or you guys experience with different products.

I appreciate all the answers so far.

also I have a review of the 440's, also the famous Audio-Technica ATH-M50's, in my signature, and I will also link you to a sort of comparison between the 440 and 840: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/105857-shure-srh-440/

I can also say that I've heard many good things about the sony MDR-V6 and 7506, but at least here in Norway, they are nowhere to be found. Beyerdynamic DT770 are also pretty good, but they are on the bassier side compared to the previous ones I've mentioned, plus they come in three versions, 32 ohm, 80, and 250. the 250 ohm version might require an amp, but that's up to you, whether that gets loud enough or not, but we don't know that before you get them, which you might not.

AKG K612 is fairly natural/neutral. Philips Fidelio X1 is more towards the warmer side of things. Sennheiser HD600 or 650 for a classic good and expensive pair. NAD Viso HP50 or Focal Spirit One are nice warm closed cans if you need isolation. Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs are fancy closed cans with an adjustable bass port so you can make it as bright, neutral, or bassy as your ears desire.

Enough options? :)

AKG K612 is fairly natural/neutral. Philips Fidelio X1 is more towards the warmer side of things. Sennheiser HD600 or 650 for a classic good and expensive pair. NAD Viso HP50 or Focal Spirit One are nice warm closed cans if you need isolation. Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs are fancy closed cans with an adjustable bass port so you can make it as bright, neutral, or bassy as your ears desire.

Enough options? :)

OP said he/she wanted closed headphones, but why not. I actually got to try the Fidelio X1 on tursday, pretty nice sounding, but they literally just about got big enough for me. I had to stretch the headband ALL the way to get them to fit me.

Open headphones are better for gaming if you don't need the isolation, OP. they have wider soundstages, which lead to better positional audio in games, with no silly virtual surround.

OP said he/she wanted closed headphones, but why not. I actually got to try the Fidelio X1 on tursday, pretty nice sounding, but they literally just about got big enough for me. I had to stretch the headband ALL the way to get them to fit me.

Open headphones are better for gaming if you don't need the isolation, OP. they have wider soundstages, which lead to better positional audio in games, with no silly virtual surround.

I thought that open headphones only made it possible to hear background sounds,  and closed headphones shut background sounds out. I may be mistaking?

But how would open headphones provide wider soundstages?

I am eager to learn more.

I thought that open headphones only made it possible to hear background sounds,  and closed headphones shut background sounds out. I may be mistaking?

But how would open headphones provide wider soundstages?

I am eager to learn more.

yes, open headphones don't isolate noise, so you'd be able to hear things outside your headphones more than with closed headphones.

Closed headphones usually have a sound that is directed straight at your ears, while open headphones allow the sound to "move" around. not sure how to really explain it, but open headphones tend to have an airy sound, like the sound is coming from outside the headphones. With your budget, I'd actually get an open pair and a closed pair, and depending on your needs, either sell off one of them, or start collecting like some of us here. My collection is this:

Audio Technica ATH-M50s, Sennheiser PC360, Shure SRH440 w/ 840 pads, JBL J33, Koss PortaPo, Pioneer SE-A1000, CHC Silverado. Mics are Blue Snowball and Mod Mic 2.3.

yes, open headphones don't isolate noise, so you'd be able to hear things outside your headphones more than with closed headphones.

Closed headphones usually have a sound that is directed straight at your ears, while open headphones allow the sound to "move" around. not sure how to really explain it, but open headphones tend to have an airy sound, like the sound is coming from outside the headphones. With your budget, I'd actually get an open pair and a closed pair, and depending on your needs, either sell off one of them, or start collecting like some of us here. My collection is this:

Audio Technica ATH-M50s, Sennheiser PC360, Shure SRH440 w/ 840 pads, JBL J33, Koss PortaPo, Pioneer SE-A1000, CHC Silverado. Mics are Blue Snowball and Mod Mic 2.3.

Wow, I have been searching for a new audio setup for a long time, and you are the first one to actually tell me about the advantage of open headphones in gaming.

I understand what you are saying, and it does actually make good sense.

Wow, I have been searching for a new audio setup for a long time, and you are the first one to actually tell me about the advantage of open headphones in gaming.

I understand what you are saying, and it does actually make good sense.

LOL I didn't even think about open headphones due to your requirement for closed, so ShearMe was part of it.

Also, judging by your username, are you danish?

Thats correct.

My headphone search now includes open headphones.

Honostly, I don't think you'll really know what you're missing out on when going from a pair of $300 headphones to $600. You can probably save some cash and lower the budget. But by all means spend $1000 if you truly believe it's worth it. I've only recently this year begun to purchase "audiiphile" grade headphones, but before I didn't think it could really get better. Sorry for the english, using my phobe during a family trip, just browsing the forums now :P

I'd also recommend Sennheiser's HD600/HD650 or 5XX series headphones, but as ShearMe said, they're a bit pricey. The difference in sound between HD600 and HD650 are that the 600's are more neutral/brighter sounding than 650's (650's have more bass and are more "warmer" sounding). I've personally used Sennheiser HD650 for music/gaming/movies for 4 years now and I've been satisfied with them, they sound good with any genre of music. Although if you have a chance to try these and other headphones in a local store I'd recommend you to do that. For DAC/Amp, besides Objective 2+ ODAC, I'd recommend you to check out Schiit Modi + Magni (aka Schiit Stack), Linus made a video of these too. 

It is not as I have the urge and need to spend 1000usd, but I do not mind spending that much.

I contacted Mayflower Electronics to ask about the powersupply plug for EU. Unfortunately the EU plug will not be in stock for a very long time.

So I have decided to go with the Schiit modi+magni.

I have also been recommended the AGK Q701 headphones by a lot of other people. What are you guys take on these headphones?

EDIT: I have ordered a modmic 4.0, even that I do not like the extra cord. 

I have also been recommended the AGK Q701 headphones by a lot of other people. What are you guys take on these headphones?

They're great for what they are - a very treble-happy headphone. I shed a tear the first time I listened to Stairway to Heaven on them, but they're not my cup o tea for continual use.

I'd skip on those headphones. The headband digs into your head after a while even with thick hair.

I'd go with he-500's with a good amp and a mod mic or blue snowflake. Should be well under your budget.

The new he-560's might be good if you want a lighter headphone.

Also HD700's are on massdrop right now if you want to pick them up for a really good price.

I'd skip on those headphones. The headband digs into your head after a while even with thick hair.

I'd go with he-500's with a good amp and a mod mic or blue snowflake. Should be well under your budget.

The new he-560's might be good if you want a lighter headphone.

Also HD700's are on massdrop right now if you want to pick them up for a really good price.

I looked into the he-500 and he-560, and they are well over 1000usd according to amazon.co.uk