i7-4770K Delidding project (from knowing nothing to actually doing it)

Hi! 

I recently overclocked my cpu. At 4,4GHz and 1.203 Volts, under full load the temps are around 84C an average (with an h100i). So, I decided to delid that thing.

The problem is, that I feel pretty scared hammering or messing around with a razor blade even close to a cpu. So far, I think I'm going to go with the hammer method.

Here are some other problems, that I hope you could help me with:

-I need to get some very good thermal paste. MX-4 does not work. It has melted under the IHS before.

-Any mistakes that you have done delidding, that I should avoid repeating..?

-How do I exactly use the hammer? (which side of the pcb should I hit etc.)

-Something that I didn't know, that would stop me wanting to do it. I already know, I'll void my warranty.

When or if I decide to do it, and I have all the tools and confidence and what not, I'll be posting pictures as I progress.

And the last thing: If I mess up and destroy the cpu, as a precaution I already saved money for a 4790k xD

-PJ

Intel i7-4770K temperatures with stock cooler:

(CPU usage % + 100)/2

http://prntscr.com/8137dw

There are little copper connectors on the chip, don't hit on that side. Make sure you use some sort of insulating or masking tape on the vice to prevent scratching the IHS. Don't force the vice too tightly or you might cause curvature in the IHS, which you have to fix with lapping. Make sure the direction you're hitting at, and the surface around the vice, is padded with towels so it wont hit the wall or floor. 

Don't try to whack it off with 1 hit. Just keep tapping and the seal will eventually break without it flying through the room.

And for god sakes, use Liquid Pro/Ultra between the IHS and die or it's absolutely not worth it. (just make sure you put some latex over the SMD parts to prevent shorting).

Liquid Pro/Ultra only hardens when you sandwich it between metal parts, so don't use it on the heatsink/ihs connection!

Also, if you're really scared about doing it to your 300something usd CPU. Buy the cheapest fucking haswell celeron available (G1820) and delid that for practice :)

I use AS5 on core die and IHS and its not conductive (i have been using it this way since last year) also thermal paste does not "melt".

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

@Majestic Wow, well, thaks for the most informative answer I've seen in a long time :D

I guess I'll have to start searching for that Liquid Pro or Ultra stuff and latex to put over SMD parts. (Which I'm just going to google coz I have no idea what they are)

(CPU usage % + 100)/2

AS5 is coductive... and I wouldn't put it on the core though, it can scratch it

heh i scratched my core die with a razor,going strong almost 400 days now

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

i got mx4 on my chip and IHS with no issues i run the thing at 1.35v just to get 4.3GHZ the processor i got really is quite shit lol max temps are around 80-85 in aida 65

i did the vice method btw took a couple whacks just make sure you place a bucket on the other end with something soft to catch it just incase

edit: i did this to a 4670k i mis read the title

What comes to delidding, it's basically the same thing as 4770k.

I did some research on Liquid Pro. It's also available here. I also red that it hardens when pinned between surfaces, so if I spread it carefully so that it doesn't touch the SMD components,

I wouldn't need any latex or other non conductive paste over them.

Now I'll just have to order that tube and see how do I continue from there.

(CPU usage % + 100)/2

snip

Chances are, your problem is the H100i.  It is notorious for having bad contact because of faulty mounting.  Check out this thead.

If you still want to delid, by all means go for it.  When talking about thermal paste, I would personally stay away from Coolaboratory stuff because it has the potential to brick your hardware.  Seems like you are fairly comfortable with risk if you are willing to delid though, so maybe it is for you.  If not, I highly recommend Gelid GC Extreme, it is non conductive and much easier to work with than Coolaboratory, safer too.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

i got mx4 on my chip and IHS with no issues i run the thing at 1.35v just to get 4.3GHZ the processor i got really is quite shit lol max temps are around 80-85 in aida 65

i did the vice method btw took a couple whacks just make sure you place a bucket on the other end with something soft to catch it just incase

What a shame to lose your warranty just to put mx-4 in there. Really, put some liquid pro/ultra between that thing. 

@Pulunen, well, I just used some clear paint on the SMD parts to be sure. And with good reason. I also spread it thin, but when i recently removed the cap it still went outside the chip area. 

Really, if you're not using liquid ultra/pro. Don't bother. Gelid GC Extreme is 8.5w/mk. Liquid Ultra is 38.4w/mk. See what i'm saying?..

Chances are, your problem is the H100i.  It is notorious for having bad contact because of faulty mounting.

I have already messed up the mounting once :D I was running like 98c under 60% load. Now I've made sure that it fits right and has good contact.

I replaced the thermal paste that came with the cooler with AS5 after checking the mounting.

(CPU usage % + 100)/2

Oh, and also I recommend to lap the IHS if you're using vice method, It'd be deformed after that

I don't know, not so much if you're careful. This was my deformation

NtTggtPl.jpg rAQ4tU7l.jpg

Seems like it was concaved to start with. Maybe a little around those two edges, i don't know. It is pretty useful nontheless +)

I don't know, not so much if you're careful. This was my deformation

Seems like it was concaved to start with. Maybe a little around those two edges, i don't know. It is pretty useful nontheless +)

Mmmm its actually good for it to be slightly bowed:

Start watching at the 8:30min mark and Linus explains why you want it to be slightly concave.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Mmmm its actually good for it to be slightly bowed:

Start watching at the 8:30min mark and Linus explains why you want it to be slightly concave.

Actually, the block on the watercooler is bowed, only the IHS should be flat. Don't lap the cooler : )

Also, please do not quote images. A puppy dies everytime you do this.

Actually, the block on the watercooler is bowed, only the IHS should be flat. Don't lap the cooler : )

Also, please do not quote images. A puppy dies everytime you do this.

I did remove the images???

I guess it depends on the mounting mechanism.

Isn't that voltage way too high for a cpu?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm not going to lap anything. I think the h100is block is completely flat..? seems like it is, I might be wrong.

And I found an old Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz which is going to be my first victim.

(CPU usage % + 100)/2

I'm not going to lap anything. I think the h100is block is completely flat..? seems like it is, I might be wrong.

And I found an old Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz which is going to be my first victim.

Um, anything older than Ivy Bridge is soldered to my knowledge.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Yes, you'll just end up splitting the chip in half xD

I mean, as a big overclocking enthusiast I used a heat gun to delid a 3930k and try a naked mount. It was a shitty overclocker though. Temps were fine it just refused to go above 4 GHz at any voltage.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

A lapped and soldered IHS is worse than naked mounting? Doesn't that theoretically make the heat transfer worse? Since no thermal compound has the same w/mk as soldering (90ish w/mk). I think Liquid Ultra is the highest with 38.4w/mk.

Yes, you'll just end up splitting the chip in half xD

Yup, it WAS Soldered... well, not anymore :D Broke off with some work, but it's still working, which is a good thing.

I also ordered some Luiquid Ultra thermal paste, to put both under and on the IHS. (since the h100is block has a copper surface...)

(CPU usage % + 100)/2

Yup, it WAS Soldered... well, not anymore :D Broke off with some work, but it's still working, which is a good thing.

I also ordered some Luiquid Ultra thermal paste, to put both under and on the IHS. (since the h100is block has a copper surface...)

Put Gelid between the block and IHS. Liquid Ultra is between CPU die and the inside of the heatspreader only. The top of the IHS contains aluminum and will crumble in the presence of Gallium,