Looking for a high-end graphics card

dubphobia

I'd rather get nvidia just simply for shadowplay and capability to stream to Twitch without any other program's etc

But I think I'll just wait for the 800 series. Better than suffering a kick in the balls if the performance is a lot better for the same price if not cheaper

The performance increase is always around 10%. Knowing nvidia, the new cards won't be cheap and the 700 series cards will hardly drop in price.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

The performance increase is always around 10%. Knowing nvidia, the new cards won't be cheap and the 700 series cards will hardly drop in price.

It's not so much the performance with maxwell, it's more about the huge increase in efficiency.

That said, the new 880 is going to be significantly more powerful than the 780 and will be around $400, I think. Really good deal, especially if you were originally planning on going with the 290X.

It's not so much the performance with maxwell, it's more about the huge increase in efficiency.

That said, the new 880 is going to be significantly more powerful than the 780 and will be around $400, I think. Really good deal, especially if you were originally planning on going with the 290X.

It's nvidia though. Do you honestly believe the 880 will retail for $400? That's within the 870's price range. Honestly, it's all speculation right now. I can assure you though, the 800 series cards will not be cheap.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

nvidia don't really have a good high res card out right now compared to the competitions high end. I'd look at one 290 and then when you want to drive 4k or whatever you'll need a 2nd one ideally.

nVIdia don't really have a good high res card out right now compared to the competitions high end. I'd look at one 290 and then when you want to drive 4k or whatever you'll need a 2nd one ideally.

Needs to be nvidia but right now 1080p performance and as my first post mentioned… I'm on a budget, I've got all the other components other than the graphics card which I want to buy something that will last at least 3-4 years but defiantly NEEDS TO BE NVIDIA!

Needs to be nvidia but right now 1080p performance and as my first post mentioned… I'm on a budget, I've got all the other components other than the graphics card which I want to buy something that will last at least 3-4 years but defiantly NEEDS TO BE NVIDIA!

You mention shadowplay and twitch steaming; you do know that AMD cards have the same functionality?

GTX780 is probably the card you want then if you *really, really* want nvidia

You mention shadowplay and twitch steaming; you do know that AMD cards have the same functionality?

GTX780 is probably the card you want then if you *really, really* want nvidia

Yeah I know that AMD has the same functions shadowplay wise but to get a good performance id need a 290 or 290x to even compete with the same performance as a 770/780 and the 780 is cheaper but I'm unsure. I'm probably just going to wait until the 800 series and see what Maxwell brings to the table

I would wait for the 800 series to drop and since the 800 series will be, most likely, i very small improvement over the current generation I would then proceed to buy a GTX780ti, reveling in the glory of price drops.

Yeah I know that AMD has the same functions shadowplay wise but to get a good performance id need a 290 or 290x to even compete with the same performance as a 770/780 and the 780 is cheaper but I'm unsure. I'm probably just going to wait until the 800 series and see what Maxwell brings to the table

290 competes with 780. 290X sits between 780 and 780ti. Both are cheaper.

But yes see what maxwell brings I guess.

I would wait for the 800 series to drop and since the 800 series will be, most likely, i very small improvement over the current generation I would then proceed to buy a GTX780ti, reveling in the glory of price drops.

No point in getting a 780Ti really, but I'm defiantly going to wait but if the performance isn't worth getting the 800 series I'll go either 770 or 780

290 competes with 780. 290X sits between 780 and 780ti. Both are cheaper.

But yes see what maxwell brings I guess.

Yeah but pricing wise AMD not really worth it, price to performance nvidia is a LOT more appealing for most of the games

Yeah but pricing wise AMD not really worth it, price to performance nvidia is a LOT more appealing for most of the games

Really?

In most countries AMD GPUs are significantly cheaper :P

Really?

In most countries AMD GPUs are significantly cheaper :P

Yeah really, it's cheaper in the UK but not enough to go with for the performance, a 780 performs better and it's about the same price as a 290x if I remember properly

EDIT: a zotac 780 overclocked is £320 but an XFX 290 is £280, it's not worth it really

Yeah really, it's cheaper in the UK but not enough to go with for the performance, a 780 performs better and it's about the same price as a 290x if I remember properly

You can get Sapphire 290 tri-x (the best one) for £280 on Amazon, see Linus' video they offer 780 performance :)

see bottom two:

6354_35_sapphire_radeon_r9_290_4gb_tri_x

6354_25_sapphire_radeon_r9_290_4gb_tri_x

290x kind of sits between 780ti and 780

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/03/11/sapphire-radeon-r9-290x-tri-x-oc-review/5

You can get Sapphire 290 tri-x (the best one) for £280 on Amazon, see Linus' video they offer 780 performance :)

see bottom two:

6354_35_sapphire_radeon_r9_290_4gb_tri_x

6354_25_sapphire_radeon_r9_290_4gb_tri_x

290x kind of sits between 780ti and 780

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/03/11/sapphire-radeon-r9-290x-tri-x-oc-review/5

The Vapor-X is slightly better than the Tri-X. Still, you can't go wrong with either card.

The Vapor-X is slightly better than the Tri-X. Still, you can't go wrong with either card.

Forgot to mention, needs to be nvidia to do a hackintosh :) you can do an AMD hackintosh but there is A LOT of messing around to get it working

Forgot to mention, needs to be nvidia to do a hackintosh :) you can do an AMD hackintosh but there is A LOT of messing around to get it working

GTX780 sounds good then :) Although my 7950 worked out of the box on mavericks :)

It'd probably have to be a 3GB if you planned on 6GB.

My PSU is a 600w silverstone 80+ bronze. Let's just hope it's good enough to carry a 800 series haha

it should be more than enough to power a 800 series  as they are rumored to be a lot more power efficient than the 700 and  alot better than the R9 200 series

I built a very similar 4k gaming pc as outlined in Linus' video;

with gtx 780 ti sli. Gaming at 4k with the pb287q, the sli set up gets me about 45-60 fps with most games at high or ultra with very little AA. Most games will let you get away with 3GB frame buffer while another GB with the 290x wouldn't hurt. If I could go back and choose again, I would get a 295x2 from ncix bundled with a practically free 1500w psu, 3 games for the same price as the 780 ti sli and perhaps slightly better performance.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

GTX780 sounds good then :) Although my 7950 worked out of the box on mavericks :)

I would go with a 7850 but it's just to old of a card to be spending money on for the hope it'll last haha

GTX780 sounds good then :) Although my 7950 worked out of the box on mavericks :)

I would go with a 7850 but it's just to old of a card to be spending money on for the hope it'll last haha