Cat-5e vs Cat-6 for length.

Chriz6097
Go to solution Solved by kinkywink,

So, I was wondering if i was to hypothetically buy 1000ft (305M) of cat ethernet cables, which one (6 or 5e) would degrade less over the long distance? I remember @LinusTech saying at some point like 4 years ago in one of his home videos that cat 5e is better over distance, but I want to know for sure whether linus is correct.

both have a maximum length of 100m or 328ft, after this it starts to degrade, cat6 is less acceptable to crosstalk and supports 10gigabit connection over shorter distances while cat5e only supports gigabit connection, so if both cables were run at max capacity i would say that cat6 would be better over a longer distance as it has a leeway as such with the max speed - I think

So, I was wondering if i was to hypothetically buy 1000ft (305M) of cat ethernet cables, which one (6 or 5e) would degrade less over the long distance? I remember @LinusTech saying at some point like 4 years ago in one of his home videos that cat 5e is better over distance, but I want to know for sure whether linus is correct.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

both have a maximum length of 100m or 328ft, after this it starts to degrade, cat6 is less acceptable to crosstalk and supports 10gigabit connection over shorter distances while cat5e only supports gigabit connection, so if both cables were run at max capacity i would say that cat6 would be better over a longer distance as it has a leeway as such with the max speed - I think

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

In that case, I'm assuming Linus didn't mean to make it sound like he was comparing the two when he said cat 6 does worse in length.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

In that case, I'm assuming Linus didn't mean to make it sound like he was comparing the two when he said cat 6 does worse in length.

im not sure i think ive seen the video but i cant remember :S

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

im not sure i think ive seen the video but i cant remember :S

I want to say it was one where he was moving his server into the closet in his house.

I want to say it was one where he was moving his server into the closet in his house.

watching his rj45 video now and he says cat5e for 10gigbit at 55m and 1gigabit at 100m  while cat6 is a full 10gigabit for 100m hmm

watching his rj45 video now and he says cat5e for 10gigbit at 55m and 1gigabit at 100m  while cat6 is a full 10gigabit for 100m hmm

He's... close. Cat5e cannot do 10Gbps. Cat6 can up to 55m and Cat6a is the full 100m. At distances shorter than 55m, there is no need for anything above Cat6 if you need 10Gbps. Past 100m, all 3 start degrading in signal, and you need to either switch to coax, or fibre at that point :P (Neglecting Cat7/Cat7a because they are stupid expensive and hard to find)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section