IBM Model M - 20th Birthday Edition - Sound Test Included!

Hello everyone, I have another review for you! This time of the famous IBM Model M. Once again, I will post the text here, but to see all of the images and my sound test video you can follow this link to my website. Thanks for reading!

====

Now I shall review a retro IBM Model M. Today we're celebrating this particular keyboard's 20th birthday!

Let's go over the typing experience first. As many of you know, this keyboard uses a buckling spring switch. There is nothing else like it. The actuation point is very pronounced, and the keystroke is heavier. You can't really bottom out the keys; the spring simply compresses until it can't compress any longer. I've achieved my highest and most accurate typing speed test scores (134+ wpm so far) with this keyboard. Most of all: it's fun!

The most noticeable difference between the IBM Model M and other mechanical keyboards is the sound. Let's just say your colleagues at work are not going to be happy with your new-found love. Shall we give it a listen?

As for build quality and design, it's built like a tank in the U.S.A., and it's appearance is old-school, classic. While it is made of plastic, the plastic is twice as thick as modern keyboards. Even though my keyboard has been on this earth for 20 years, there has been minimal, if any, discoloration during that time. It looks almost brand new. I especially love the raised and angled top row keys and the slight upward curvature to the keys on the other rows. However, it does take up a lot of space on your desk, which won't give you as much room for your mouse.

The coiled cable is twice as thick as USB cables found with other keyboards. I like that it is removable, but I wish the connectors weren't proprietary.

There are two small rubber feet on the bottom of the keyboard, but they are sufficient. Even if they were not included, the keyboard would **not** be moving around much because it is so heavy. This is also true when using the plastic angle adjustment feet.

Another part of the great build is the keycaps. It would be just as hard to find a new-in-box IBM Model M as it would be to find a McDonald's burger with less than 10 grams of fat. This being the case, I purchased mine used. I was especially surprised to find no key shine. Part of the reason is because it uses higher quality PBT keycaps. The sides of the keys are glossy, while the tops have a nice simple texture. They also have dye-sublimated lettering. While a tiny bit fuzzy to the *Retina display* trained eye, they should never wear. At least, that's what the rumors say.

There are some downsides to using this keyboard, and I'll go over those.

One thing about the keyboard that bothers me is that the top and bottom halves in the front of the case have a visible gap.

The spacebar is louder than the other keys, and has a different/looser tone. This is probably due to movement of the stabilizers.

You simply cannot game. Not only are the switches heavier and wouldn't provide fast enough response, there is only 2 key roll over. This doesn't affect you when you're typing, not in the least, but when gaming even a rubber dome keyboard would be easier to use.

I do miss the Windows key. I use shortcuts all the time to get into Windows Explorer (Win+E), go straight to the desktop (Win+D), and open up the start menu (using StartIsBack) in Windows 8. The good thing is you can use software called [KeyTweak](http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/) to get around this. I've swapped out my caps lock key for the Window key, for instance. If you play games often and constantly have to swap out your board, this isn't ideal as KeyTweak requires a restart for any changes to occur. Another option similar to Keytweak is [AutoHotKey.](http://www.autohotkey.com/)

Considering this product is now 20 years old, it's amazing how it still competes well with other, more modern, mechanical keyboards. I like it a lot, and I can almost guarantee you will too. If you're interested in picking one up for yourself, [Clicky Keyboards](http://www.clickykeyboards.com/) does a really nice job professionally cleaning, refurbishing, and then selling these keyboards.

I am definitely going to be keeping this for a very long time, at least another 20 years.

I looked through the site and very nice stuff bro.

In 20 years time I'm sure it would be worth a hefty $$$! :P

Anyways, it's never too late for a Model M review.

P.S if they weren't $90 I would probably get one.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

I looked through the site and very nice stuff bro.

In 20 years time I'm sure it would be worth a hefty $$$! :P

Anyways, it's never too late for a Model M review.

P.S if they weren't $90 I would probably get one.

Thanks! You should still get one. Bite the bullet. If you keep it in good shape it's only going to go up in value over time. It's a vintage art piece.

Thanks! You should still get one. Bite the bullet. If you keep it in good shape it's only going to go up in value over time. It's a vintage art piece.

I'll end up using it daily though, rather than keep it as a collectors piece!

what is with model Ms?

was that like the only mechanical keyboard of its era?  or was it just that much better than everything else?  if so, was it DESIGNED to be better than anything else, or did it just happen to get lucky and get fame?

I'm bidding for a Lexmark Model M.......can't wait to see the result of the auction. This review has me stoked! Excellent and well written review btw, appreciate the effort and time involved....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I've wanted to buy one for such a long time, but unfortunately I'm a little short of money at my spending disposal as I just built my PC... But man, nice review, subscribed to you just for good measure :D

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I don't what it is about these Model M's, the one I'm looking at looks like the OP's, other than the Lexmark branding instead of IBM, they look almost brand new! The one I'm looking at is mildly faulty in that the three LED on the top right do not work, but other than that, it looks almost pristine. I do not even have to clean and mod it, but i am tempted to do dye the key caps for a different look. Still, if I do get it, I'd prolly not do anything at first, and simply enjoy it for a while.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I'll end up using it daily though, rather than keep it as a collectors piece!

Even better. Enjoy it while you can get your hands on one. :D

what is with model Ms?

was that like the only mechanical keyboard of its era?  or was it just that much better than everything else?  if so, was it DESIGNED to be better than anything else, or did it just happen to get lucky and get fame?

In that era I believe companies were focusing on making great keyboards, because they needed to convince people that came from typewriters to switch to the computer. So, they tried to make a keyboard that was as close to a typewriter's typing experience as possible.

I've wanted to buy one for such a long time, but unfortunately I'm a little short of money at my spending disposal as I just built my PC... But man, nice review, subscribed to you just for good measure :D

Thanks for the subscribe! Save a few bucks a month and you'll have one within the next year. 

I don't what it is about these Model M's, the one I'm looking at looks like the OP's, other than the Lexmark branding instead of IBM, they look almost brand new! The one I'm looking at is mildly faulty in that the three LED on the top right do not work, but other than that, it looks almost pristine. I do not even have to clean and mod it, but i am tempted to do dye the key caps for a different look. Still, if I do get it, I'd prolly not do anything at first, and simply enjoy it for a while.

Enjoy it for while. If you do any modding you should change out the LEDs so they work again, that'd be really cool! 

Looks like I'm going to get the Lexmark Model M, other bidders are trying to trade with cash top ups, mine's a firm cash offer which is what the seller wants. Should get the keyboard this Saturday....

It's heeeere! My Model M has finally arrived, and typing on it, I can appreciate how soft and quiet Cherry switches are compared to it. I may not do anything to it as it is in ver good condition, geez, typing on this sucker can make quite a ruckus......but I like it! :wub:

20130609_174121_zps3f7ccb01.jpg

wow it really looks like new. put it on a nice stand on a shelf or so  :D

wow it really looks like new. put it on a nice stand on a shelf or so  :D

Yep, will do that later, right now, I'm using it on my 2nd rig and I love it. I find typing with this KB is an absolute joy as I'd hardly make a mistake. I'm almost 100% accurate typing with this KB as it requires a bit of force to actuate the switch, I will store it, and when I move back to my apartment, I'm going to display it in a little glass display cupboard I have in my apartment.

How do you guys feel they compare to MX Blues? I've heard they are stiffer but have never had a chance to type on one.

How do you guys feel they compare to MX Blues? I've heard they are stiffer but have never had a chance to type on one.

I would also love to know :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Stiffer than Blues, about as stiff as the Clear on my DS II 78 Version, perhaps a little stiffer than the Clear. It is, however, pretty good for gaming as well, much to my surprise. I tested it with UT3 and I'm doing about as well as with my Cherry KB's, tough my fingers do feel fatigued after using it for some time. I'm using it right now, will continue to use it for the next few days just to be sure it's 100% functional. Will then store it for display in the future, I'll use either my DS II Blue or the CM QF TK Blue.

I think I have one of those in my basement...

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB