Urgent, please help! New build, pc won't start properly. Mobo issues?

omenz321

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£239.98 @ Scan.co.uk)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For £78.83)

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£154.76 @ Scan.co.uk)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory (£129.34 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For £0.00)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£76.78 @ Scan.co.uk)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (Purchased For £245.98)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£84.98 @ Novatech)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£148.92 @ Scan.co.uk)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.58 @ Scan.co.uk)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For £0.00)

Monitor: Asus MX279H 27.0" Monitor (Purchased For £249.94)

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (Purchased For £25.98)

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (£13.37 @ Scan.co.uk)

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (£13.37 @ Scan.co.uk)

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£150.00)

Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse (Purchased For £0.00)

Headphones: Sennheiser PC330 Headset (Purchased For £0.00)

Total: £1623.81

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-19 18:51 BST+0100

So I built a desktop today after waiting for quite some time. Took about 3 hours but then just as a turned it on It didn't work.

When I turned it on the pc looked fine, however the red boot light was permanent. And nothing showed up on the screen.

I then put in the gpu and plugged the hdmi cable into there and it worked, but the hard drives weren't recognised so I couldn't install windows. Even the bios didn't recognise the hard drives.

I removed the gpu and the same problem as before happened, nothing showed up on the screen at all.

I removed the WiFi card, changed the h100i to the stock cooler and even tried each ram card but nothing seemed to work. All the hard drive cables are properly connected. The hard drives work fine, so does the ram, fans, psu,

The bios does show up if I use the gpu, but this doesn't solve the issue of the hard drives not getting recognised, or if I want to use the pc within the 770.

All of the sata and data cables are connected to the hard drives properly. And the 8 and 24 pin on the motherboard, and the corresponding cables on my psu.

I think it's the motherboard.

I just need to be sure that it's really the motherboard that is faulty? Can anybody please help and offer insight into what the problem is? I can call scan tomorrow and make them send me a new one on Thursday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

All I can say is try different sata slots

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Nope, just fan noise. And I tried different sata slots and cables. I have 8 6g sata slots. And the power supply is one of the best. I tried different power ports and a different sata cable and even different data connectors which were supplied with the motherboard.

It just doesn't show any hard drives! And that startup led is always on. Even when I booted from a USB to install windows I couldn't install it since no hard drives were found.

if you have another PC

try to plug your HDD there and see if the BIOS detects your HDD

it may sound like SATA controller has failed on the Hero

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

if you have another PC

try to plug your HDD there and see if the BIOS detects your HDD

it may sound like SATA controller has failed on the Hero

It's working fine on my older PC. Using this now.

Really disappointed with Asus. I paid £150+ for this motherboard thinking it would be the best one as all the reviews stated. And it has wasted so much of my time. Don't they check them before they leave the factory, quality control?

Should I ask for a replacement or a refund and just order a different z97 motherboard? This has delayed my build by 2/3 days :(

It's working fine on my older PC. Using this now.

Really disappointed with Asus. I paid £150+ for this motherboard thinking it would be the best one as all the reviews stated. And it has wasted so much of my time. Don't they check them before they leave the factory, quality control?

Should I ask for a replacement or a refund and just order a different z97 motherboard? This has delayed my build by 2/3 days :(

refund and pick another brand

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

refund and pick another brand

Any ideas of other brands? Examples for boards which cost a similar amount? A decent onboard soundcard would be nice but I can always add that. I don't want a wifi card on the mobo since I bought one separately which is really good.

Any ideas of other brands? Examples for boards which cost a similar amount? A decent onboard soundcard would be nice but I can always add that. I don't want a wifi card on the mobo since I bought one separately which is really good.

the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 is what I roll with many builds I have done

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97gaming5

red/black look

the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 is what I roll with many builds I have done

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97gaming5

red/black look

I've heard bad things about MSI boards though. There's some sort of deal I've found with the Gaming 9 though.

I don't know if scan will send me a replacement or offer a refund though.

I've heard bad things about MSI boards though. There's some sort of deal I've found with the Gaming 9 though.

I don't know if scan will send me a replacement or offer a refund though.

gaming 9 is kinda overpriced for just a few extra features and wifi

the gaming 5 is just nice price point

there were a few bad batch with the gaming 5

but those were the early batch

the newer ones should be good

So I got another motherboard, same issue and the 4th ram slot doesn't like it when I out something in it. The red light shows.

I've flashed the latest bios, pressed the reset cmos button. Why does this still happen? Why can't it recognise my hard drives?! They work fine in other computers! And I've tried different sata cables provided with the psu. I hear the hard drives moving too....

The data cables are new with the motherboard.

I don't know what could be causing the issue. Both motherboards can't be faulty?!?

Could it be my psu? I've tried different sata ports and cables but it hadn't worked. I hear the hard drive moving sometimes so I don't think that's an issue. The gpu and cpu and the ram are shown in the bios so I question as to whether or not it's the psu.

The other thing it could be is the drives themselves and the format? But the ssd works fine in my laptop.

I've tested it without the gpu and WiFi card so those are clearly not the issue. It can't be the case can it or any of those small front panel adapters? It's also not the ram, at least I don't think, but I can't put both ram slots into slots 2, 4 without the memory error coming up. And as I stated before I flashed the latest bios and pressed the cmos reset button.

So - mobo, psu, hard drive format type, or something else?

I can boot from a CD and I can feel the hard drive spinning. CD's are fully readable and USB's are also bootable it's just the hard drives. 

In the BIOS I tried both AHCI and IDE mode. 

I honestly don't know what's wrong. Now I can't put my ram in slot 2 and slot 4 like I could with my old motherboard. I ordered the same one, but this is also brand new.

Is there a compatibility issue with my cpu? I've seen several people with the same mobo+cpu and it's z97... The Ram is also compatible.

Somebody please give me an insight into this!

now that is really odd situation here

you say the HDD works on another PC

but with a new mobo it still cannot be detected 

honestly I may suggest swapping parts which you have yet to be swapped esp that CPU and PSU just to be sure

also when you test the hard disk drives 

is the mobo inside the system or on the box?

now that is really odd situation here

you say the HDD works on another PC

but with a new mobo it still cannot be detected

honestly I may suggest swapping parts which you have yet to be swapped esp that CPU and PSU just to be sure

also when you test the hard disk drives

is the mobo inside the system or on the box?

I solved the issue, I think.

So my brand new 3tb seagate is a buggy 3.9gb hard drive. And my motherboard hates my ram even though I tried everything to make it not hate it. So I could only have 1 in at a time.

I'm sending the hard drive and ram back. And returning the motherboard too. Going for an msi gaming 7 and Kingston memory. Not sure about the storage drive yet.

I solved the issue, I think.

So my brand new 3tb seagate is a buggy 3.9gb hard drive. And my motherboard hates my ram even though I tried everything to make it not hate it. So I could only have 1 in at a time.

I'm sending the hard drive and ram back. And returning the motherboard too. Going for an msi gaming 7 and Kingston memory. Not sure about the storage drive yet.

ah that may explain a bit

the stupid above 3TB drives will not be detected by mobos

if you need storage

you can pick a 2TB and a 1TB drives

• 4 weeks later...

ah that may explain a bit

the stupid above 3TB drives will not be detected by mobos

if you need storage

you can pick a 2TB and a 1TB drives

Everything is fine now. It was the hard drive and mobo. I now have a 2tb WD one which should be more reliable.

Thanks