California “Kill Switch” Bill Could Be Used to Disrupt Protests

Builder

via Hacker Newshttps://cdt.org/blog/california-kill-switch-bill-could-be-used-to-disrupt-protests/

This week the California legislature passed a bill that requires all smartphones to include a “kill switch” that can remotely render the device inoperable.  Although created to deter smartphone theft, this kill switch mandate could actually become a nefarious tool co-opted by government to suppress protests.

Kill switch mandates suffer a variety of flaws that CDT has discussed previously. However, the California bill is especially troubling on the issue of police using the feature to shut down phones.  The legislation states that government agents may use the kill switch so long as their activities comply with Section 7908 of the Public Utilities Code.  This law allows governments to disrupt communications under certain guidelines with judicial authorization, but also includes an “emergency” exception that requires no independent approval. Police could use the kill switch to shut down all phones in a situation they unilaterally perceive as presenting an imminent risk of danger. 

Censorship 2.0. Wonderful. To quote 1984, "Who controls the past controls the future; who controls the present controls the past." More opportunities for the police to abuse their power and stop the free spread of information.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Oh great...

@LinusTech

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Oh great...

@LinusTech

That was a weird glitch...

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

That was a weird glitch...

What Glitch?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

What Glitch?

It showed "{member='LinusTech'}" in plain text instead of just the way it's supposed to be.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

The fuck is this, they don't want us to protest? 

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

It showed "{member='LinusTech'}" in plain text instead of just the way it's supposed to be.

I forgot the 'member' the first time. Then i edited it again

I forgot the 'member' the first time. Then i edited it again

You can just type @______ you know.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

You can just type @______ you know.

WHAT?!!!

So i can do @person  (hope thats not a person) 

EDIT: Shoot that is a member

Honestly, if it passes in Cali, it's only a matter of time before it spreads. And as soon as it does, rooting all phones as soon as I get them and blocking this out. Thanks but no thanks!

Honestly, if it passes in Cali, it's only a matter of time before it spreads. And as soon as it does, rooting all phones as soon as I get them and blocking this out. Thanks but no thanks!

They could do it on a hardware level...then you're screwed.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

They could do it on a hardware level...then you're screwed.

You're right but it will most likely be on a software level because they can't force manufacturers to build this in their phones and some would refuse. But even then, there could be a way around it.

A kill switch for something like a phone seems a bit over-kill personally. 

I'm sure that there are plenty of other way to stop someone using it against you maliciously that don't involve this method.

I got sent to prison after following Linus' instructions to #Makebombs

Forum's resident nihilist.

A JRPG just wouldn't be a JRPG if it didn't end with teenagers using the power of friendship to kill God.

You're right but it will most likely be on a software level because they can't force manufacturers to build this in their phones and some would refuse. But even then, there could be a way around it.

It's the law though. They'd be required to comply, just like with FCC rulings.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

A kill switch for something like a phone seems a bit over-kill personally. 

I'm sure that there are plenty of other way to stop someone using it against you maliciously that don't involve this method.

Phones with any type of lock (pattern, pass, ID...) and call the provider to block the SIM and trace it down, simple... :D

lol @ California, your laws are retarded.

in a nuttshell IIRC they have a mandate that forces all electronic like mobos or gpu, where you can touch the PCB or a chip have a warning that this device probably contains cancerous material, like WTF only them, also isn't the bloody IMEI number do this already, yesterday just blocked my stolen moto g and its useless on mobile data, that should be enough to render a phone useless

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

It's the law though. They'd be required to comply, just like with FCC rulings.

Yes, but then you would have phones that needed to be made specially for California and no manufacturer would care. But let's say it passes for the entire US. Then you would have an even bigger issue, people importing phones from EU, Canada and other places! :D

Besides, users would burn the fuckers to the ground, and I loved it back in the 90s when making mobile calls was expensive and we all used Motorola radios and even long range house phones (up to 40-50km)! :D

Yes, but then you would have phones that needed to be made specially for California and no manufacturer would care. But let's say it passes for the entire US. Then you would have an even bigger issue, people importing phones from EU, Canada and other places! :D

Besides, users would burn the fuckers to the ground, and I loved it back in the 90s when making mobile calls was expensive and we all used Motorola radios and even long range house phones (up to 40-50km)! :D

Or we get the situation where all the phones have it to comply just with California and now every lawmaker wants to take advantage of the new technology.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

The fuck is this, they don't want us to protest? 

Precisely.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Or we get the situation where all the phones have it to comply just with California and now every lawmaker wants to take advantage of the new technology.

Why would everyone bend to California's will?

Besides, I'm 100% sure someone would come out with a phone that doesn't have it and find a way to legally sell it. Or tutorials on how to disable it would come out.

When there is a will, there is a way! :D

Why would everyone bend to California's will?

Besides, I'm 100% sure someone would come out with a phone that doesn't have it and find a way to legally sell it. Or tutorials on how to disable it would come out.

When there is a will, there is a way! :D

I hope so. It's crap like this that gets me so worked up about the state of this country.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I hope so. It's crap like this that gets me so worked up about the state of this country.

Yeah, I know what you mean :/ Remember the shit storm ACTA made?

Yeah, I know what you mean :/ Remember the shit storm ACTA made?

Yup.

Bit of a different situation, but still important obviously.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /