California “Kill Switch” Bill Could Be Used to Disrupt Protests

Builder

It's the law though. They'd be required to comply, just like with FCC rulings.

It's a law for one small state no company in the world would care.

They would just stop selling phones in california which would only hurt the state.

And people would just buy their phones in a different state.

RTX2070OC 

It's a law for one small state no company in the world would care.

They would just stop selling phones in california which would only hurt the state.

And people would just buy their phones in a different state.

Why do you believe that's the case? California is a massive market for a lot of smartphones, Apple especially. It's one of the largest tech hubs on the face of the planet. 

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I do not think so, since I'm an pro firearm to the same degree as pro tech, its extremely therapeutic to shoot at long range metallic silhouette ranges, as well as very satisfying, only a shame there ain't a bigger community for it in sweden.

I thought Sweden had a somewhat large hunting community.

Go back to bed, America. Your government has figured out how it all transpired. Go back to bed, America. Your government is in control again. Here. Here's American Gladiators. Watch this, shut up. Go back to bed, America. Here is American Gladiators. Here is 56 channels of it! Watch these pituitary retards bang their fucking skulls together and congratulate you on living in the land of freedom. Here you go, America! You are free to do what we tell you! You are free to do what we tell you!

Great, more "wake up sheep" preaching.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

I do not think so, since I'm an pro firearm to the same degree as pro tech, its extremely therapeutic to shoot at long range metallic silhouette ranges, as well as very satisfying, only a shame there ain't a bigger community for it in sweden.

Good to see that there are a few pro common sense people left in Europe.

Go back to your facebook and your myspace, the grown ups are talking now.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

But I thought protests were legal due to their non-implied, legislative law of RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH!?

How can the american governments possibly deny people that right?

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

But I thought protests were legal due to their non-implied, legislative law of RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH!?

How can the american governments possibly deny people that right?

Because we the American people have become to complacent, they only care about what makes them feel good about their stupid boring unimportant little lives, instead of paying attention and seeing that out entire government has been bought out, not to mention that what America was supposed to be died at the end of the civil war with the federal government conquering the states and forcing them to accept federalist rule.

Happy I don't live in Cali

the fact you dont live there is irrelevant. now that they are required to have this on a phone to sell it there means that it will be implemented standard to reduce the headache of producing a "california" model and "rest of america" model. which means this effectively is allowed anywhere in the country. things like ferguson could now be silenced because devices would be useless

lol I feel like the people of California make some real questionable decisions when they are called up to elect anybody, but I'm not even close to a liberal. Not too much of a conservative either.

I doubt something like this could be used in this way though. As I believe, smartphones are property owned by the civilians or the manufacturer/Telecommunications company. Not only are they invading your property, they are disrupting your first amendment right. Does the state of California really have the legal bounds to do something like that? If a law in California is passed that threatens your first amendment right, I think it could easily turn into a supreme court case just like how Bill SB1070 turned out in Arizona.

The biggest thing anybody could do right now is to get news of this to everybody. I've seen countless protests here in Arizona that have stopped many stupid laws from being ratified. Knowing there are much much much more people in California, getting them up in arms about the situation will easily put the bill into the trash.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Why do you believe that's the case? California is a massive market for a lot of smartphones, Apple especially. It's one of the largest tech hubs on the face of the planet. 

California makes 0,5% of the world population.

They aren't a massive market they make only a tiny fraction of the global phone sales.

And people wouldn't buy those phones anyway they would just order it from a different state which would decrease the sales even more.

Also Apple doesn't manufacture its phones in California.

This isn't the first time a stupid law causes a product to skip an entire country/state.

This happens all the time to countries that are more than 2x as populated as California.

RTX2070OC 

California makes 0,5% of the world population.

They aren't a massive market they make only a tiny fraction of the global phone sales.

And people wouldn't buy those phones anyway they would just order it from a different state which would decrease the sales even more.

Also Apple doesn't manufacture its phones in California.

This isn't the first time a stupid law causes a product to skip an entire country/state.

This happens all the time to countries that are more than 2x as populated as California.

You obviously don't live in the US if you think a large group of companies are going to just stop selling their products in a state for the sake of privacy. Regardless of whether or not it's a significant portion of the global market, (and I realize it's not) it's a massive portion of the US market. Apple and Google were founded and have their headquarters there. I realize they don't manufacture, but just the sheer amount of employees at those companies that wouldn't be allowed to buy their company's latest device? No, that would never happen. Companies are not altruistic, they will always do what's best for their bottom line. If that means putting a kill switch into their phones, they'll do it.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

It is quite big, still nowhere near as big as i'd like,

Good to see that there are a few pro common sense people left in Europe.

I see firearms as i see a car, It can be used by everyone for XX years straight without incident, but as soon as someone uses it for bad purposes or by accident everyone screams all manners of illogical jargon. Its not the object that's to blame as much as the user.

Plus i love how the manufacturing of both works, its really interesting.

It is quite big, still nowhere near as big as i'd like,

I see firearms as i see a car, It can be used by everyone for XX years straight without incident, but as soon as someone uses it for bad purposes or by accident everyone screams all manners of illogical jargon. Its not the object that's to blame as much as the user.

Plus i love how the manufacturing of both works, its really interesting.

Indeed. Not to mention that a car can kill alot more people, more quickly than a gun can. Also the simple fact that there isn't a single object in existence that can't be used as a lethal weapon.

Indeed. Not to mention that a car can kill alot more people, more quickly than a gun can. Also the simple fact that there isn't a single object in existence that can't be used as a lethal weapon.

Well look at the car vs firearms related deaths in America and that should make it quite clear, since there are more deaths caused by automobile accidents / negligence then with guns.

Well look at the car vs firearms related deaths in America and that should make it quite clear, since there are more deaths caused by automobile accidents / negligence then with guns.

Indeed. I also love it when people say "only the police and military should have guns!" when those two institutions account for most of the gun deaths world wide, year after year.

You obviously don't live in the US if you think a large group of companies are going to just stop selling their products in a state for the sake of privacy. Regardless of whether or not it's a significant portion of the global market, (and I realize it's not) it's a massive portion of the US market. Apple and Google were founded and have their headquarters there. I realize they don't manufacture, but just the sheer amount of employees at those companies that wouldn't be allowed to buy their company's latest device? No, that would never happen. Companies are not altruistic, they will always do what's best for their bottom line. If that means putting a kill switch into their phones, they'll do it.

It's not about privacy but about actually making a physical kill switch in the phone for one area only.

The effort wouldn't justify it the extra cost.

So if it ever happens it would be only a software solution which people will remove anyway.

RTX2070OC 

This is impossibly stupid. This why we need all the big corporations to use their power and boycott this so bad. They have to power to do that. If Apple, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Sony, Nokia and LG all refused to sell phones with this implemented, the gov will have to adapt in some way.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

It's not about privacy but about actually making a physical kill switch in the phone for one area only.

The effort wouldn't justify it the extra cost.

So if it ever happens it would be only a software solution which people will remove anyway.

Whatever you say dude, whatever you say.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

This is one of the worst bills I have seen law enforcement come up with.

I have no intent to move to California if this is where they are going with their agenda.

So many negative things can come when the people aren't informed about conflicts that need to be recorded to force change.

To everyone who thinks this will cause issues because law enforcement has the ability to use it:

You do know that many smartphones already give the law enforcement such capabilities? And it's not like they need to access your phone at all to stop you from using it. They can just disconnect it from the network.

To everyone who thinks this will cause issues because law enforcement has the ability to use it:

You do know that many smartphones already give the law enforcement such capabilities? And it's not like they need to access your phone at all to stop you from using it. They can just disconnect it from the network.

I wasn't very worried but I thought of a couple scenarios.

Have you seen those police brutality videos where there's always at least one cop telling the recorder to move away and stop recording? Imagine having the video and everything else you had on your phone deleted, therefore removing any proof you had.

I think like most things, it can be used for good or evil. Sadly the hands it's in don't have a very good record/reputation. 

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I wasn't very worried but I thought of a couple scenarios.

Have you seen those police brutality videos where there's always at least one cop telling the recorder to move away and stop recording? Imagine having the video and everything else you had on your phone deleted, therefore removing any proof you had.

I think like most things, it can be used for good or evil. Sadly the hands it's in don't have a very good record/reputation. 

That's why we all just need to go back to flip phones that can take video, those don't qualify as "smart phones" and as such don't have a kill switch.