[updated after M50X comparison time] DT770 treble too bright, Need alternate suggestions

Askew

Give the M50X a little break in time they'll eventually contort to a shape that fits you best. So after reading your giant post, I can surmise that you want something with the comfort of your open headphones with the sound signature of the M50X. Is that right?

They weren't open, but yeah I'm wanting a DT770 comfort with M50X sound, I just don't know how big of an ask that is.

Sorry about the giant post, I've added a TLDR.

They weren't open, but yeah I'm wanting a DT770 comfort with M50X sound, I just don't know how big of an ask that is.

Sorry about the giant post, I've added a TLDR.

Oh you've got the DT 770, freudian slip, I was thinking of Sennheiser's HD 558s you mentioned. My one question is do you need or care about sound isolation? Also I almost never TLDR.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

Oh you've got the DT 770, freudian slip, I was thinking of Sennheiser's HD 558s you mentioned. My one question is do you need or care about sound isolation? Also I almost never TLDR.

I don't need isolation, I want the bass response that closed seems to offer exclusively, I'd love to be proven wrong on that.

I don't need isolation, I want the bass response that closed seems to offer exclusively, I'd love to be proven wrong on that.

Well the thing is open headphones are generally tailored to flat response curves which is what the audiophile community generally gravitates towards, and they're pretty damn comfortable. I honestly can't think of anything within that price range that'd make sense to get. Sennheiser's HD8s and momentums are the only ones I can think of. Honestly I don't think you'd find it with AudioTechnica as they tend to have a very bright sound signature and Sennheiser loves their ultra flat response curves. I don't know, the only thing I can think of is if you can find a way to demo a few open Sennheiser cans to see if you're still fine with base. It's not as pronounced but they're punchy and clear or try your hands some more expensive headphones. The HD8s come with velour as well as leather cushions, so you can swap em out to get comfortable.

Sorry, best I could do.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

The M50X........... mother of god it is sinfully uncomfortable, I have stretched the headband to release the clamp but it still grips too much, I don't want to snap it, it is hot and sweaty inside of the pads, my ears constantly feel hot and pressured, I cannot live with this headphone forever so here is my question.

Try these?

http://www.amazon.com/ATH-M50-PADS-VELVET-ATH-M50RD-ATH-M50WH-ATH-M50xBL-ATH-M50xWH/dp/B00F2ZM6CS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-2&keywords=velvet+earpad

They do change the sound a tad bit and leaks a bit more, but they are a complete upgrade from the stock. 

Try these?

http://www.amazon.com/ATH-M50-PADS-VELVET-ATH-M50RD-ATH-M50WH-ATH-M50xBL-ATH-M50xWH/dp/B00F2ZM6CS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-2&keywords=velvet+earpad

They do change the sound a tad bit and leaks a bit more, but they are a complete upgrade from the stock. 

Those are not available in UK, but I googled a bit and found that the Shure SRH940 velour pads apparently fit these well, did you also find your headphone to be uncomfortable?

My only issue lies with losing bass/changing the sound too much, I guess I could try them..

Good idea definitely.

Those are not available in UK, but I googled a bit and found that the Shure SRH940 velour pads apparently fit these well, did you also find your headphone to be uncomfortable?

My only issue lies with losing bass/changing the sound too much, I guess I could try them..

Good idea definitely.

All the ATH M##X line come with the same nasty pleather earpads, so yes my M30x were pretty uncomfortable.

There is definitely a slight loss in the punchiness of the bass, but that was a plus for me cuz the constant thumping would give me headaches at times. Other people have claim the highs becoming a little brighter and clearer, but I didn't noticed major change. Other people have also claimed looser bass, but meh not really. 

I heard that the Shure pads are actually a bit too big and would have to do some mods to make them fit better.

Another option would be the sock mod. (to save you some money)

Basically covering the existing pads with a soft and breathable sock, so you keep the sound produced by the original pads but slightly improve comfort. 

23e67f7b_IMG_4199Small.jpeg

I've done a shit ton of research on making my M30x more comfortable, the same should apply to the M50x.

All the ATH M##X line come with the same nasty pleather earpads, so yes my M30x were pretty uncomfortable.

There is definitely a slight loss in the punchiness of the bass, but that was a plus for me cuz the constant thumping would give me headaches at times. Other people have claim the highs becoming a little brighter and clearer, but I didn't noticed major change. Other people have also claimed looser bass, but meh not really. 

I heard that the Shure pads are actually a bit too big and would have to do some mods to make them fit better.

Another option would be the sock mod. (to save you some money)

Basically covering the existing pads with a soft and breathable sock, so you keep the sound produced by the original pads but slightly improve comfort. 

I've done a shit ton of research on making my M30x more comfortable, the same should apply to the M50x.

Thanks a lot, what have you settled with on yours? I'm not sure if I'm happy with a pair of socks on my headphones but I will probably try it, these pads are horrible.

Thanks a lot, what have you settled with on yours? I'm not sure if I'm happy with a pair of socks on my headphones but I will probably try it, these pads are horrible.

I settled with the SoundProfessional ones, because of comfort and the headache thing. 

I haven't tried these, but there are some other options as well.

Fancy lambskin leather.

http://www.amazon.com/Auray-Genuine-Sheepskin-Leather-Earpads/dp/B00EHTG7J8

Aviation grade gel earpads.

http://www.amazon.com/Seals-David-Clark-Aviation-Headsets/dp/B008MP7HUG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408678896&sr=1-1&keywords=Gel+david+clark

http://www.amazon.com/David-Clark-Gel-Ear-Seals/dp/B006CU24J2/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408678896&sr=1-5&keywords=Gel+david+clark

Hope you find something that works. 

So I spent a 16hr day and another 10hr day sitting in a chair comparing the DT770's with the M50X.

My biggest note was that the M50X really made the DT770's sound lacking in mid range, after swapping from the M50X to the 770 it was like someone came and took a bite out of the track and the crumbs all fell onto the highs and lows.

The bass of the 770 is lovely, I think I agree with some of the people who say it can sound monotonal sometimes, if I swapped between the headphones on certain tracks the bass notes on the m50x were more distinctly different.

The treble of the 770 is IMHO pumped up a bit too much, it sounded harsh and caused me discomfort, but on tracks without much to keep stabbing me in the eardrum with treble the overall sound was nice.

The M50X sound infinitely better to me when it comes to vocals, the bass is a little less wide sounding and perhaps a tiny bit muddier but it's definitely prominent enough to please me, I don't feel like I'm lacking for bass, the mid range of these made voices sound really nice, the 770 couldn't compare really in this regard especially with smooth female vocals.

The treble of the m50x is what I wished the 770 had, and why I created this thread, @ShearMe nailed it with the recommendation in that regard, (thank you very much for that) it's just tipping over enough and miles away from too much, a pleasant sound that I can comfortably listen to on any track without feeling fatigued.

I really apologize if all of the above sounded like complete drivel, I don't have the mentality of a descriptive audiophile who can pull words from the air to express how he hears a sound, I did my best to convey it but alas I can do no more without also pulling words from the air.

So here is what I concluded, the M50X won me in terms of sound, I returned the beyers and no more shall that sparkly treble be upon my ears, I will miss the 'wider?' sounding bass, but the mids and the treble of the M50X please me much more.

I am in a quandry now, there is something I have not yet mentioned and that is comfort, the DT770s were absolutely perfect in this regard, wearing them was luxurious I think I could have even forgotten they were there given a while without taking them off.

The M50X........... mother of god it is sinfully uncomfortable, I have stretched the headband to release the clamp but it still grips too much, I don't want to snap it, it is hot and sweaty inside of the pads, my ears constantly feel hot and pressured, I cannot live with this headphone forever so here is my question.

What has a similar sound to the M50X, perhaps a little clearer bass (I'd settle for the same), similar treble, very similar mid range and is actually a comfortable headphone?

I looked at things like the 518 and 558, they look like they will be so fucking comfortable I will just shit myself with joy every time I put them on but their being open, and the graph confirming, they have a big bass drop off compared to the M50X, halp?

such post, very length, many typing, wow.

TLDR I'm wanting DT770 comfort with M50X sound, I just don't know how big of an ask that is.

You took time to tell us what you think, it looks like you thought before you wrote. Sounds good enough to me.

I think you should be able to loosen the clamping force with time, or some adjusting.

they look like they will be so fucking comfortable I will just shit myself with joy every time I put them

:D

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=-1&graphID[]=2941&graphID[]=2821&graphID[]=853&graphID[]=2861&scale=30

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

My guess is that you're a casual listener, if the sound is good to you, you like it, even though it doesn't actually means 'better'. ATH-M50 is one of a lifetime close back headphone that has one of my favorite (but not perfect) frequency response, but everything else that thing produce are beaten by competitors.
honestly, there's no alternatives to the ATH-M50 for comfort without changing sound, but i have a suggestion for you, Philips Fidelio X1, its open back, comfortable, bass heavy, treble light... maybe the midrange and vocals isn't the same as the M50 but honestly nothing else is...

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

I'll vote AKG K612 or the Fidelio X1 like Valahallatier recommended. The AKG will probably sound a bit more dry and airy.

HD518 wouldn't be bad if you want to save some money.

I have done some reading on the suggestions, and I think I will try the AKG K612 Pro headphones and the Fidelo X1.

This thread is super helpful thanks everyone. :)

uM6gTer.gif