Does any countries government care if someone pirates stuff?

melias24

Hey guys, i don't pirate stuff (probably downloaded one song for free like once in my whole life) but if you are an internet pirate does the government care? I'm not wondering about my country, but does your country's government care? 

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Hey guys, i don't pirate stuff (probably downloaded one song for free like once in my whole life) but if you are an internet pirate does the government care? I'm not wondering about my country, but does your country's government care? 

I'm in Canada, so nope. As far as the government here is concerned, sharing is caring

"Rawr XD"

Well, it's certainly illegal in the U.S. so I guess they cared enough to pass a law over the situation.

The corporations, mainly the copyright corporations care. They see it as lost revenue that they deserve.

Tbh, a lot of bands popularity has risen internationally thanks to piracy, and brings in more customers. 

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Well, it's certainly legal in the U.S. so I guess they cared enough to pass a law over the situation.

legal or illegal? What law

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

They care on paper (and the paper it makes them)...

The government in my country has bigger issues than piracy, and a nationwide crackdown may spark an uprising...

The corporations, mainly the copyright corporations care. They see it as lost revenue that they deserve.

Tbh, a lot of bands popularity has risen internationally thanks to piracy, and brings in more customers.

That's the thing with piracy...people who pirate aren't likely to buy the item/thing anyway, making pirating a great marketing tool.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

it's illegal in most countries, however governments rarely take legal action.

that's usually up to corporations who own the rights to whatever you're pirating.

however on LTT we really aren't supposed to condone or recommend things illegal in Canada or the US

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

edited

What's the specific law btw?

@op

The government doesn't really care and neither do the ISPs. The production studio contacts te ISP and bitches and the ISP passes the bitching onto you. Afaik, in the US no ISP will terminate your service and the most severe thing they'll do is throttle you (unless something changed since I last looked into it).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

That's the thing with piracy...people who pirate aren't likely to buy the item/thing anyway, making pirating a great marketing tool.

Not really.

Games which is primarily online based, requires you to buy it to play on secure servers so they pay. As for single player games, some like to try before they buy. Especially if it's a new game which has no prior releases, or is from a new developer. Or if it's Ubisoft, i don't like the idea of giving them my cash.

As for music, it can be purchased in digital format, and most people with Apple products purchase their music legit.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I don't think they have the time to care

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

The Netherlands: Yes they do but not very often. Police will come to your house without a warrant and will ask if they can check your PC for illegal content. But as they never have a warrant you can wave them off easy

CPU:Intel I7-6700k , CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO MB: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, Ram: Kingston 2666 Mhz 16GB, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0, PSU: Corsair AXi 860W, HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1x2TB, WD Green 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Samsung 1TB, SSD Samsung 840 120GB (OS DRIVE), SSD Samsung 840 250GB, Case: Enermax Fulmo GT.

Not really.

Games which is primarily online based, requires you to buy it to play on secure servers. As for single player games, some like to try before they buy. Especially if it's a new game which has no prior releases, or is from a new developer.

Of if it's Ubisoft, i don't like the idea of giving them my cash.

As for music, it can be purchased in digital format, and most people with Apple products purchase their music legit.

well there's are two types of pirates. Those who pirate everything and those who pirate because they want to decide if te company deserves their money. The latter group being much smaller and more limited to games, which accounts for a lesser percentage of pirated material anyway as tv shows and movies are by far the most pirated.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

The Netherlands: Yes they do but not very often. Police will come to your house without a warrant and will ask if they can check your PC for illegal content. But as they never have a warrant you can wave them off easy

wait what....that's a bit troublesome

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

well there's are two types of pirates. Those who pirate everything and those who pirate because they want to decide if te company deserves their money. The latter group being much smaller and more limited to games, which accounts for a lesser percentage of pirated material anyway as tv shows and movies are by far the most pirated.

If people wish to buy it, they will. Piracy will always be around. As i stated before, some people that are apprehensive about buying a product, or are tight on cash can torrent it, and if they like it they can buy it at a later date when they have the funds.

For instance, i Jack Sparrowed' Dragon Age Origins, as it was my first Bioware title, and fell in love with it. I now own All Dragon Age titles to date, with DLC as well as Mass Effect 1 & 2. I'll buy ME3 when it's on sale at some point, same with Dragon Age Inquisition. 

I'm in Canada, so nope. As far as the government here is concerned, sharing is caring

That's severely wrong... pirating, is still illegal here. Torrenting, is a grey area. The reason they don't pursue, is because we also have laws in place to protect people who want to do things like, rip a DVD they own, and put it onto a hard drive for personal use. However, our laws also allow us to upload them to things like dropbox for TEMPORARY storage, but we have no law in place limiting how long that storage period can be, and there's no way to enforce it. As for downloading, this is also legal, assuming you own the material, AND you plan on burning it to a physical medium at some point, storing it indefinitely is technically illegal, but again, there is no way to enforce it. As for uploading, it is illegal to upload pirated content anywhere, however it's not enforced a whole lot. Usually, if you're caught, you ISP will send you a cease and desist, and if you don't comply, they can cut your service, and report you to authorities. That latter part is a lot, and I mean a lot of paperwork on there end, since they have to then explain why they allowed you continued service when they knew you were infringing and so on...

This was a long series of lectures in my university Law and Ethics of IT course 2 years ago in university. It's complicated, and technically illegal, but due to our loopholes, they can't really do anything about downloading, only uploading.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

wait what....that's a bit troublesome

Well since that bloody piratebay thing here in Europe resulting in first a european ban but is now gone again, though my Goverment states it's still valid blew things a bit up here. ISPs no longer block it and they say that people should be able to do whatever they want. Government however tries to make it a case sometimes. So far 14 people have been summoned to court for downloading illegal content, none of them were sentenced in any way by the judge. Main reason of no sentence is and was "The voice of the people is to convict real criminals, nobody cares and most likely nobody ever will care. As long as it's not wanted by the society nobody will be sentenced to prison or anything punishing" (roughly translated).

For now, illegal downloaders are fairly safe.

CPU:Intel I7-6700k , CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO MB: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, Ram: Kingston 2666 Mhz 16GB, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0, PSU: Corsair AXi 860W, HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1x2TB, WD Green 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Samsung 1TB, SSD Samsung 840 120GB (OS DRIVE), SSD Samsung 840 250GB, Case: Enermax Fulmo GT.

I live in the US so they have to care, I'd basically be stealing from the guy's that line our governments pockets (nevermind the fact that I can say that without actual proof and 99% of people will accept it as fact, makes then illegitimate), so yes, they care quite a lot more than they should.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

For now, illegal downloaders are fairly safe.

Troublesome nonetheless. 

What bothers me more is the fact that anyone can torrent now and be perfectly fine, but two...three...five years down the road (if things change) you can be brought to court. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

According to the Simpsons, very much

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."