Time Ranks 18 Headphone Brands

P e r s e p h o n e

So I was perusing as usual and then this list came up. I'm no audio expert by any means, so I wanted to know LTT Forums' opinion.

http://time.com/74886/best-headphones/

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

beyerdynamic is just not there for some reason

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

TBH... mainstream talk and reviews and articles about audio are pretty bad sources of info... I sometimes purposefully steer clear or audio articles because I already know what's going to happen and what they of article comments I will end up reading.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I sometimes purposefully steer clear or audio articles because I already know what's going to happen and what they of article comments I will end up reading.

^ Perfect spelling right there. Learn from my example plz.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

beats by dr.dre...

disregard

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

He's a doctor, you can trust him.

it even has apple there. The only headphones they produce are crappy in ears that come with the iPhone. But now they have Beats

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

it even has apple there. The only headphones they produce are crappy in ears that come with the iPhone. But now they have Beats

And an apple a day keep the doctor away. Wait...

:o

(You will laugh at my joke NOW!)

Absolutely clueless article.

For more then half of the websites they listed for "expert reviews", I would not even touch one for audio reviews.

And "specs and features" taking frequencies, sensitivities, and NC into account?

A lot of times manufacture's claims does not translate well into actual measurement, and these "specs" have nothing to do with a good headphones.

A headphone is better then other because it has noise cancelling feature? A headphone is better then other because one can go up to 50000 Hz while other only goes up to 40000 Hz?

What a waste of bits and bytes.

Two revolutionary dance tones

LOoOoL

...the article contradicts itself in the first 2 paragraphs;

"Full-time rapper and part-time headphone brand Dr. Dre likes to say that “people aren’t hearing all the music.” A more accurate assessment: people aren’t buying the right headphones.

Today, the audio industry is saturated with marketing. Clueless consumers snap up name-brands at $300+ price points while merrily scrolling past better, cheaper pairs. The problem? We’re conditioned to shop by brand, rather than by true audio experience."

Then continues to do so with the half the brands named.

/ignore

apple? lol what, having free earbuds doesn't means you're an audio comp

LOoOoL

...the article contradicts itself in the first 2 paragraphs;

"Full-time rapper and part-time headphone brand Dr. Dre likes to say that “people aren’t hearing all the music.” A more accurate assessment: people aren’t buying the right headphones.

Today, the audio industry is saturated with marketing. Clueless consumers snap up name-brands at $300+ price points while merrily scrolling past better, cheaper pairs. The problem? We’re conditioned to shop by brand, rather than by true audio experience."

Then continues to do so with the half the brands named.

point out the contradiction more clearly plz?

point out the contradiction more clearly plz?

Wow, I read that whole article wrong.

I guess this is the contradiction you ask for lol

Shure doesn't even make that good of headphones compared to other companies.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Not on the low end, but they're not consumer oriented anyways.

I would say Shure makes great headphones, but their headphones are average, they do nothing wrong but they don't excel in any given area. 

I would say Shure makes great headphones, but their headphones are average, they do nothing wrong but they don't excel in any given area. 

yeah, I should really word some of my stuff better. xD

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Nice to see beats where they belong. Also surprised to see shure at #1.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

That's about how I would expect to see the list line up from a bunch of random  reviews from cnet, wired and pc mag,  May as well use the youtube comments sections to determine the worlds best cars.  Time magazine is about influence, not the finer details of products.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I would put sennheiser at number one, beyerdynamic at number two, akg at number three, audio technica at number four, and at number zero (best) sms audio because the star wars headphones are so good! 

I would put sennheiser at number one, beyerdynamic at number two, akg at number three, audio technica at number four, and at number zero (best) sms audio because the star wars headphones are so good! 

I wouldn't rate them by brand at all because of all the various price points and use-cases there's usually a different winner, and that doesn't even touch EQ preferences.