Should I upgrade to win 8.1

Laksen
Go to solution Solved by Laksen,

No...?

If you read the original post properly you'll see that the OP already has Windows 8, which is prompting them to upgrade to 8.1. You don't get this sort of notification in Windows 7.

@Laksen - Yes just upgrade. I don't see why people are holding back on it - it only brings benefits.

Thx for the answer, I will be upgrading soon, the fact that I'm working 50+ hours a week was the reasoning behind asking this question, as if it was worth my somewhat spare some time :-)

Hey Guys,

I've been prompted by windows for ages to upgrade to win 8.1 - Is it worth it??

Is it just UI upgrades or is there a security risk only running win 8.0?

Thx in advance :-)

CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 (Corsair H60 with a Noctua NF-F12 Fan) - Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3 (rev. 1.4) - RAM:  4 GB kingston, and 8 GB kingston hyperx blu @ 1333 MHz - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660ti OC edition SSD: 256 GB Plextor MP5-Pro - Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DGX - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363d - Case: Cooler Master elite 430 black -  Cooled by 2 Noctua NF-S12A Fans      Peripherals:ACER B243PWLAymdr IPS Panel - 1920*1200 - ACER S222HQL LCD Panel - 1920*1080 - Corsair M45 on a XFX Warpad - Typing on a Ducky Shine 2 Cherry MX Brown - Green LED - Racing with my Logitech G27 Racing wheel - other games Logitech F710

Yes this is a update not a downgrade xD 

its a mix of everything 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

What are u running now?

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Get windows 8 then install a program to get the start menu back.

ITs better than Windows 7 as boot times are quicker and generally the system feels alot faster.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Yes you should, it improves a few things so that they're easier to do with keyboard and mouse. Imo there aren't any downsides so why not.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Can't you get a free upgrade if you have windows 7?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

No

Aren't they about to do a windows + bing thing that offers a free upgrade to windows 8.1 with bing for windows 7 users? there were some article's about it on pcworld (which I found via a google search)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Aren't they about to do a windows + bing thing that offers a free upgrade to windows 8.1 with bing for windows 7 users? there were some article's about it on pcworld (which I found via a google search)

No...?

ITs better than Windows 7 as boot times are quicker and generally the system feels alot faster.

If you read the original post properly you'll see that the OP already has Windows 8, which is prompting them to upgrade to 8.1. You don't get this sort of notification in Windows 7.

@Laksen - Yes just upgrade. I don't see why people are holding back on it - it only brings benefits.

Windows 8.1 boot faster, but Windows 7 load faster startup programs in my case. But not major difference. Both are great! :)

"I am like ninja, but less gay" - Deadpool

since you already have 8, yes do it. there is absolutely no reason not to.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Windows 8.1 boot faster, but Windows 7 load faster startup programs in my case. But not major difference. Both are great! :)

Registry. Windows 8 adds an artificial delay So that the OS loads the fastest as possible on a slow systems, to give the user the ability to use their system as soon as possible, and not have to wait, despite Windows being fully loaded, for the background processes and startup process to start. As much as you want to say: "can't it detect SSD's?", Many tablets and laptops uses SSD's that are fast as 5400RPM HDDs, in order to keep the price low, or maximize profit. And WEI is no longer there to do a benchmark test.

Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Serialize, and change the value of Startupdelayinmsec to 0.

No...?

Thx for the answer, I will be upgrading soon, the fact that I'm working 50+ hours a week was the reasoning behind asking this question, as if it was worth my somewhat spare some time :-)

CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 (Corsair H60 with a Noctua NF-F12 Fan) - Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3 (rev. 1.4) - RAM:  4 GB kingston, and 8 GB kingston hyperx blu @ 1333 MHz - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660ti OC edition SSD: 256 GB Plextor MP5-Pro - Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DGX - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363d - Case: Cooler Master elite 430 black -  Cooled by 2 Noctua NF-S12A Fans      Peripherals:ACER B243PWLAymdr IPS Panel - 1920*1200 - ACER S222HQL LCD Panel - 1920*1080 - Corsair M45 on a XFX Warpad - Typing on a Ducky Shine 2 Cherry MX Brown - Green LED - Racing with my Logitech G27 Racing wheel - other games Logitech F710