New Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive after all?

Oshino Shinobu

There's been a surge of reports about the new Tomb Raider being an Xbox exclusive. Then there was a report that 'confirmed' that it was a full exclusive, not timed.

However, Phil Spencer has said that it is infact a timed exclusive and that it can come to other platforms, so long as Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics decide to do so.

Phil Spencer said: “I didn’t buy the IP. I didn’t buy the studio. It’s not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we’ll see what happens with the game. I don’t own every iteration of Tomb Raider.”

Phil-Spencer-ambassador.jpg

This is good news for a lot of us. I was very disappointed when I learned it was exclusive, but now I can afford to wait a bit for it to come out on PC (hopefully).

41f4b5ef-5c87-4489-bc5c-c1d9534cbfe0-e14

Source

Does not mean it will come out

If it flops they will either release it for other platforms to get more money

Or they will go bankrupt and give up on the game

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

See you in a few summers at $2.50 Tomb Raider. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

they just  pissed off a ton of people. now the sales will be worse.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Such a shame.....I really liked the reboot.Oh well at least i can always use the benchmark from the first game.

CM Storm Trooper| Asua Maximum VII Formula| 4770k H100i|Kingston Beast 32GB|Samsung Evo 250GB SSD|Seagate 3TB|EVGA Kingpin Edition 780 Ti(SLI)|Sound Blaster Z|Corsair 1200i

Samsung U28D590D | Corsair K70 | Razer Naga Hex | Kingston Hyper X Gaming Headset

Here's a tip Square, free of charge too: If you're going for the dipshit move of any sort of exclusivity (timed or not) take a page out of Take Two's book and just hold your fucking mouth shut and ride out the bad press. It looks slightly less shitty than this constant fucking flip flopping. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I haven't even played the new Tomb Raider series and I have already gotten a lot of entertainment out of it. It's fun to see Microsoft spend money getting it as an exclusive, just to go "wow don't worry, there is nothing stopping them from releasing it on other consoles later".

It is very entertaining to see Microsoft make bad decision after bad decision when it comes to the Xbone. I'm not sure if Phil Spencer simply has no idea what people want, or if their decisions actually make them money because we are a vocal minority that are dissatisfied with the Xbone.

I haven't even played the new Tomb Raider series and I have already gotten a lot of entertainment out of it. It's fun to see Microsoft spend money getting it as an exclusive, just to go "wow don't worry, there is nothing stopping them from releasing it on other consoles later".

It is very entertaining to see Microsoft make bad decision after bad decision when it comes to the Xbone. I'm not sure if Phil Spencer simply has no idea what people want, or if their decisions actually make them money because we are a vocal minority that are dissatisfied with the Xbone.

Maybe it actually is this Phil Spencer running the company. 

phil-spencer-question-tim-001.jpg

Really though, Microsoft seems to have made nothing but bad decisions when it comes to the Xbox One. I can understand releasing exclusives to boost sales, but releasing a sequel of a game that was very well received on all platforms as an exclusive is a stupid move, even if it is a timed exclusive and can still come out on other platforms. 

Well .. when it'll be out for PC, I'm gonna pirate it and then wait for a 75% off steam sale. 

Companies need to stop pulling off shit like that.

Rockstar is another example, they can say goodbye to my GTA V money. After so many months of me watching the storyline on youtube because I don't own a console, they think that I'll buy it for PC now ? HUEHUEHUE. No.

Let me pose a scenario to you.

You are a kid in school.  Your new favourite game just came out.  You've saved a lot of money for a while, and cannot wait to play it.  You decide to go out to the mall at lunch and purchase the game.  When you get home after school you can play it.

However, something happens.  A bully appears.  He took your game.  Though, he is not a mean bully, but instead, he will keep the game to himself and let you have it back 2 years from now.  However, if you pay him $400, plus another $60, you can have the game back.

This is an absurd scenario if it were to happen in real life.  However, this is no different than Microsoft locking the game away from you for 2+ years unless you buy their console.  This is similar to a hostage situation where you can come to an agreement as long as you follow Microsoft's demands.  In this case, their demand is that you buy their console and a new copy of the game that only works on their console.

And to think that the publisher and developer have agreed to this... it is just disgusting...

By the way he worded it could be taken that he means that this iteration will actually be completely exclusive but future iterations might not.

I don't think it's just a vocal minority, Sony wouldn't be so far ahead of console sales if that was the case. What could be also very entertaining is if we try to guess when exactly Satya Nadella gets the board approval to just drop the entire fucking xbox division and leave it out there to die.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This...this isn't MS's fault? 

Square sent out all the wrong messages and gave the wrong impression and DID NOTHING to clarify. It took Phil fucking Spencer to clarify it for them. 

Jesus, I know we have a standing mandate to shit on MS for everything, but its getting absurd. 

Square sent out all the wrong messages and gave the wrong impression and DID NOTHING to clarify. It took Phil fucking Spencer to clarify it for them. 

Jesus, I know we have a standing mandate to shit on MS for everything, but its getting absurd. 

That's a rather good point: If I was MS I would be calling Square right about now and telling them: "Yeah any more exclusivity deals in the future? Yeah fuck that Square"

-------

Current Rig

-------

In my eyes, Square Enix and Microsoft share the blame equally. Microsoft and Square both agreed to the exclusivity deal and they are therefore both guilty of holding the game hostage.